Notices

NEW PERRIN Water/Meth Kit *In Stock Now*

Old May 13, 2009, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW PERRIN Water/Meth Kit *In Stock Now*

**NEW**PWI-2 Progressive Water/Methanol Injection System
Only $549.99
Click the links in this post to check this system out on the PERRIN Performance web site.

The process of compressing air to create boost and power, has a byproduct of heat. Heated air lacks the density to make higher horsepower, increases detonation and forces the ECU to pull timing. All of which reduce the power you are looking to create. In order to combat this heat, your turbo car comes with an intercooler to keep the temps in check. These are not good enough for high HP applications and is the reason why we make our larger intercooler upgrades. We are somewhat limited by the physical restraints of the vehicles' size and by the quality of fuel offered at the pump. Yet, high horsepower engines demand additional cooling and detonation control, which is where water/methanol injection come into play.

Water Injection History
Water/Methanol injection is nothing new by any means. It was first used successfully in WWII on tanks and fighter plane engines. The tradition started here and has been used in Formula 1 engines(1980s), supplied as an OE part on the SAAB 9-5, World Rally cars use it (1995 onwards), and now in the aftermarket on todays high powered, small displacement, forced induction engines.

Not only has it been around for a long time, we have been using it successfully on the WRX and Evo cars since 2002. This experience with water/meth injection systems includes our successful PWI-1 system, and now our new PWI-2 progressive system. This time we sought out to create an easy to use, install and a reasonably priced system that is still progressive in how it injects the water/meth mixture.

In the past we went to the industry leader AquamistTM to help develop the PWI-1 progressive system. This more complex system progressively injected the mixture, had safety features with flow sensors, and lots of other hardware to make it work. We knew the PWI-2 system had to have many of the features of the more expensive PWI-1, but it had to be around $500. As we did in the past, we looked to Aquamist to help develope this idea into reality. Together we created this newer simpler PWI-2 progressive water/meth injection system with nearly all the features of the older more expensive PWI-1.

How does Water/methanol injection work?
The PERRIN PWI-2 water/methanol injection system is designed to suppress detonation caused by high intake charge temperatures and or when the effective compression ratio has been taken beyond the auto ignition point (of fuel) by increased boost from a turbo or a supercharger. To suppress Detonation, a fine mist of a mixture of water and methanol is injected into the intake charge. Water, with its high latent heat content, and methanol, with its high octane rating, are extremely effective at controlling the onset of detonation. From this you can gain power from increasing timing, or leaning the engine out, increasing boost or simply add a large margin of safety to your engine. Think of water/methanol injection like running race fuel all the time without having to pay $8 a gallon! Most clients will see gains in excess of 20WHP once tuned for! All while increasing safety and longevity of the engine.

Who can benefit from Water/methanol injection?
Cars that can benefit significantly from the PWI-2 are cars with poorly mounted, or small intercoolers, like the WRX, Legacy GT turbo, Mini cooper S, Mazdaspeed 6, Audi/VW 1.8T cars, Mitsubishi Eclipse or cars with turbo kits or supercharger kits with no intercoolers. But this does not limit the PWI-2's ability to increase HP on cars with aftermarket intercoolers, where pump gas is being pushed to its limit of detonation.

The PERRINTM Performance PWI-2 Water Injection System includes everything you need for a professional installation. Simply provide your own bucket of distilled water! (STI, EVO and MINI's all have factory installed reservoirs.) With a dash mounted control and display you can activate or deactivate the system as well as tune the kit on the fly. The PWI-2 brain uses trim pots to adjust flow, and injection start and easy to use wire terminal that allows for a clean easy install.

We feel the new PWI-2 system is a perfect balance of price, function, durability and it will not leave you wanting more when it comes time to upgrade.

WHY IS THE PWI-2 BETTER THAN THE COMPETITION?
Progressive delivery of water/methanol mixture giving a consistent flow of water at all loads.
Has both Injector Duty Cycle, and 0-5 volt inputs for sensing load. (Doesn't rely on the common 0-5volt only like most progressive systems, nor does it need an additional RPM hookup)
No 150psi limit switch constantly shutting pump down causing fluctuations in flow. (all systems using Shur-flow pumps have this problem)
Integrated dash mounted unit showing system functions and adjustments needed for setup.
High-flow, light action check valve for no flow back and no need for added solenoid. ($50 upgrade with some)
Priced like a "non-progressive" system, but with 100% progressive-ness.
Roughly half the install and setup time of other systems.
Bulkhead fitting for water tank include (not included with many others)
Pump is half the size of the commonly used Shur-flow pump.
Includes wire harness for simple installation, only hook-ups are dash harness, power, ground and input signal (no spools of wire, butt connectors, or other connectors needed for installation)
All hose connections are push-on hose connections, no need for sealant on hoses.

Last edited by PERRIN_JOHN; Jun 4, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Nice looking set-up. Does the PWI-2 share a lot of the same architecture as the aquamist kits like the PWI-1 kit did? I like how the pump and electronics are matched together in a tidy package. Also, reading through the install instructions I noticed that you need to have a 1.0bar checkvalve, yet one isn't included in the kit, just curious as to why this is. I also didn't notice a solenoid valve, but I'm assuming that it's included correct?
Old May 15, 2009, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BenJ
Nice looking set-up. Does the PWI-2 share a lot of the same architecture as the aquamist kits like the PWI-1 kit did? I like how the pump and electronics are matched together in a tidy package. Also, reading through the install instructions I noticed that you need to have a 1.0bar checkvalve, yet one isn't included in the kit, just curious as to why this is. I also didn't notice a solenoid valve, but I'm assuming that it's included correct?
Brain has similar architecture but allows both IDC and 0-5v for input and its missing the fail safe features of the PWI-1.

You do not need a check valve for installation of this as a check valve is built in, but I will have my tech guys check the instructions as that should not be in there. The solenoid valve was used on the old system as a check valve, the new one is a mechanical check valve built into the pump.

We will be posting vehicle specific instal instructions for the Evo very soon.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Alright. sounds good. Interested to see a working set-up as I will be going back to meth injection over the summer. This kit looks promising and the price is right.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BenJ
Alright. sounds good. Interested to see a working set-up as I will be going back to meth injection over the summer. This kit looks promising and the price is right.
Good idea. Actually we are doing some tuning with the system this weekend on a IX, we'll post results soon.

JL
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

This is a very nice kit. We i received my, almost 8 months ago, i could not believe the size of the controller. So small, it would be considered "cute" by most people.

I believe Turbonetics is the actual manufacture of this kit and then all the accessories are by Aquamist. Regardless, the kit is great for the price. The PWI-2 pump is probably about 1/3rd the size of the Aquamist pumps. I really hope these *new* pumps will last, unlike the last style "race pumps" used in the last Perrin model.