Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

SpeedSource Shifter Bushings - Warning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedSource Shifter Bushings - Warning

when replacing my clutch recently i noticed that there was some play in the shift linkage, i eventually traced it back to this

seems after about two years the SpeedSource Bushings have worn out

so i threw the OEM bushing back on & it fixed the slop, but it was back to the OEM mushiness

i figured this was more "wear & tear" than anything that was Speedsource's fault so i just decided to purchase some new bushings

this time around though i replaced them with the Kartboy Polyurethane versions & i must say i prefer them over both the stockers & solid bushings. they seem to have just enough give to smooth out the gear engagment, but not so much that you can feel the synchro's engage like the solid bushings

also, the Kartboy bushings are almost weightless, whereas the Speedsource ones are rather hefty. i dont have any weights, but i thought it might make a difference to you guys looking to shed every ounce
Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

its funny cuz kartboy quality control is unacceptable. i bought two sets (once for my 03 and now my 06) and its 50% shot. first time it fit perfect... but this time around u needed to trim 1mm all around the polyurethane from ALL 4!!!! wasnt an oddball bushing i received lol
Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting...

Good info.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

try KBC bushings - they are poly with a mild steel inner sleeve, making them both durable and just the right amount of stiffness. They are hard to find though, I had to get mine from Autobacs in Japan (friend of mine lives in Yokohama).
Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:13 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All polyurethane bushings wear out...thats why oem doesn't use that stuff. My honda has gone through 2 sets of shifter bushings already. But if you think about it, 2 years for replacement isn't bad for better shifting!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MachV has a precision shifter bushing replacement for the 1G that utilizes ball bearings, which is an interesting idea. I don't know if they are the same size as the Evo, but it would be worth a couple minutes to give them a call if you're in the market. I like the idea that they can rotate even if they heat up, as I've seen some solid bushings heat up enough that they then started to bind and prevent clean shifting until they cooled.

Here is the link and photos: http://www.machv.com/mavshcast.html
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
MachV has a precision shifter bushing replacement for the 1G that utilizes ball bearings, which is an interesting idea. I don't know if they are the same size as the Evo, but it would be worth a couple minutes to give them a call if you're in the market. I like the idea that they can rotate even if they heat up, as I've seen some solid bushings heat up enough that they then started to bind and prevent clean shifting until they cooled.

Here is the link and photos: http://www.machv.com/mavshcast.html
that is very very cool! I wish they made one for the Evo 6sp, especially at that price!