Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

PERRIN Intake Test and Tune 30WHP!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates Crckheadjed? Im planning on ordering a Perin Intake too!!!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far nothin, Mitsubishi is taking FOREVER with my car, so today i went and got a loaner car from them (dont need it since i have my truck still) so maybe they'll speed up the process.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Okay, I've heard rumor of the intakes collapsing. Can anyone comment? I was talking to a buddy of mine who has an STI. Basically, he said he gave it away it was so bad. This is not a post to start trouble. I have one on order actually. Thank You.

We had an issue with very few of our Subaru inlet hoses that were running big turbos with a lot more boost than stock with hoses that partially collapsed. 99% of our customers won't ever have an issue, but we have since updated that part and added a wire in the inlet hose so there's no way of it happening again. You EVO guys are fine too, so no need to worry!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
We had an issue with very few of our Subaru inlet hoses that were running big turbos with a lot more boost than stock with hoses that partially collapsed. 99% of our customers won't ever have an issue, but we have since updated that part and added a wire in the inlet hose so there's no way of it happening again. You EVO guys are fine too, so no need to worry!
Thanks for the reply. It should be here Thursday, and tuned by Saturday. I'll post my results.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
Good, cause a lot of people will be running 30 plus psi on these with the new influx of big wheeled stock housing turbos coming out! Not to mention Average Joe Evo owner runs 23-25 psi on the OE turbo these days.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, 25psi all day for me. . . .Evo's roll bigger boost than Sti's :-)
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zeus
Good, cause a lot of people will be running 30 plus psi on these with the new influx of big wheeled stock housing turbos coming out! Not to mention Average Joe Evo owner runs 23-25 psi on the OE turbo these days.
Yeah seriously NOT any issue at all! The Subies that had the issue were also running stock air boxes and panel filters. So they were trying to pull wind through a VERY restrictive setup and thus the weak link was the inlet. So not the case on the EVO stuff.

Any hoo guys anytime we can help just hollar!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, I recieved my package from Perrin a day early, which is great.
I swapped out the intakes, mine was stock(gotta change my sig`now). It was easy, and I really like how the shield mounts to the frame of the car. You can also tell Perrin has reinforced the intake with the metal wire/ring. Makes me feel better for sure. Although, I'm a little nervous about the oil on the filter. Anyway, no idle issue what-so-ever,(no tune) that rocks, I was concerned there too. Went fot a jaunt, while keeping one eye on the knock/cel light, and the but dyno says there is more up top for sure. I never realized how loud that sucker was going to be until tonight(felt like a ricer, lol).

I dyno at Twilight Performance on Saturday. For more results, Stay Tuned!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:41 PM

I just put mine in without changing the tuning and the butt dyno says this intake is WELL WORTH IT!

My Mods are: 2.75" catless dp, 3"catless testpipe 3" hks catback, HKS 272/272 cams, Works p2 custom brainflash. The car was putting down 300 to the wheels at the dyno before I put the intake on - I must say that after putting the Perrin intake on, I feel as if it was the missing piece of the puzzle! Even without changing the tuning - I might go dyno again to see some before and after #'s
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

wooow thats really good!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

Not trying to put down or knock perrin new intake but it's a little hard that just adding a intake will give it 30whp to hard to belive in my book.I gurrantee that f a change my buschur for the perrin it would only pick up another 10whp that's it if perrin want's me to test it out i will.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:56 PM
Account Disabled

Forgot to mention about the filter they use, heard it's heavily oiled wouldn't that throw off reading to the mass air sensor or damage it in the long run,plus if that filter rip's or crack's then peace's will get sucked up in the intake system and turbo that will cause bearing failure.30whp from this intake is it the (pipe making the power or the dirtbiler air filter).
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The oily K&Ns will jack up the MAF with all the heavy oil... Even after cleaning my K&N, then only "lightly" re-oiling it, I still have to use elec. cleaner on the MAF so often to keep things running optimum. You usually WON'T know there is a problem til you clean the MAF... then, wow. This is probably why some vendors have gone to oilless filters.

Mind you, I AM NOT knocking Perrin's product. I'm actually quiet interested in it for my own personal use.

Does Perrin offer "recharge kits" like K&N?

Last edited by Zeus; Sep 25, 2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
The oily K&Ns will jack up the MAF with all the heavy oil... Even after cleaning my K&N, then only "lightly" re-oiling it, I still have to use elec. cleaner on the MAF so often to keep things running optimum. You usually WON'T know there is a problem til you clean the MAF... then, wow. This is probably why some vendors have gone to oilless filters.

Mind you, I AM NOT knocking Perrin's product. I'm actually quiet interested in it for my own personal use.

Does Perrin offer "recharge kits" like K&N?
I believe they do have a recharge kit on there webiste.Well it says cleaning kit but im pretty sure its the same.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered that kit with the intake and it is a spray can of cleaner and a spray can of oil. The cans are big enough for quite a few cleanings, so I feel that it is a very good deal for the recharge kit.

Quick Reply: PERRIN Intake Test and Tune 30WHP!