Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Houston We have IGNITION!!! ( SPARKTECH PRO CDI) FTW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Houston We have IGNITION!!! ( SPARKTECH PRO CDI) FTW

Good Morning everyone, I posted up this little review on evo-tech, but I wanted to post it here as well, just to share with the community.

so for my birthday earlier this month, I decided, that since I was old ( 30) with one foot on the banana peel and one foot in the grave, I needed a little cheering up.

Buying stuff for my cars, always cheers me up so I thought, what could I possibly buy for my evo.

I have always wanted a quality Ignition system. In the evo world, there are severaL Coil on plug options.

I choose the Spark tech PRO series Capacitive discharge Ignition system.
Here is a picture of what you get

in the picture above you will see a beautiful powdercoated wrinkle black holding plate for the coils, a Holding bracket for the CDI box and the CDI box itself

Sparktech uses the M&W CDI system, it is an australian based company which has a great reputation for making reliable and powerful products.You can buy different versions of this CDI box, from waste spark to direct individual spark if required.

here is a close up of the plate , the coils are actually recessed into the mounting plate which gives the system a very clean and professional look

a view from the under side of the mounting plate with the coils attached

sparktech uses miltary spec wire for their harness and per M&W specifications , the wires are twisted ( I believe it is to reduce Electromagnetic interference, from the High voltage that the CDI box out puts)

the harness also uses Marine grade fuse holders for the power supply . You will also notice the Varflex wire shielding as well. I really like that stuff and hopefully I can find a distributor for that stuff so I can swapp all my wire looms to this material/ ( yes I know I am a ricer )

alright, so I ended up taking half the day of work so I could install this stuff , lets begin

This is one of the few occasions that I will remove Carbon fiber from my engine bay...
Remove your cover ( 4 10mm bolts)

the stock coils in all their glory

might as well change your plugs while you are at it, I choose BR8ES ( non projected tip ) gapped at 30

Next install the boots onto the plug ( they are rubber) . I wondered why sparktech did not use ceramic boots though ?) I am sure they have a good explanation

Next up simply lower the assembly onto the head and fasten with the supplied allen stainless bolts

this shows how pretty the recessed coils look on the plate

The sparktech mounting plate would go underneath the master cylinder, but due to my custom IC pipe it would not fit, I choose to place it on my controller holder that you see in the right hand portion of the picture below

Attach the positive wire to the postive terminal of your battery, since my battery is in the trunk I simply attached it to 4 guage wire running to the trunk. Ground your system and insert the supplied 15 amp fuse in the fuse holder

start up your car and you get greeted by the red LED on the side of the CDI box waking up

here are some pictures of the completed product, I apologise that my engine bay is so dirty, it started raining and michigan nasty, salt infested roads ruin my engine bay

Enough voltage to power a city under the hood of my car ...WOOT

How it feels and drives ?
I have always had a little stumble/ mis fire during regular cruising, I always thought this was normal and consequently dealt with it over the years. With this new ignition, the idle and afr values are very stable and I no longer have any ignition stumbles. I did not test this system at high boost, because it was raining over here, but I will once the roads are dry,.

I hope you have enjoyed my little project and more to come as always./.

p.s Craig is the fking man and is just a pleasure to deal with it. IF ANY of you are in the market for an ignition product, give him a call.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antilag_200
I choose the Spark tech PRO series Capacitive discharge Ignition system.
Here is a picture of what you get

It came with a can of Rooster Bold Wintergreen? Wow.

Anyway, nice setup. Thanks for the writeup.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

lol , No it did not, IT is a terrible habit that I have
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the Great Review...Glad your happy with your purchase
Old Feb 27, 2009, 08:47 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Great write-up. Who did your valve cover? Looks s3xy!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the great write-up and the step by step with the pictures. Did you run into any problems during the install or was it pretty straight-forward?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys

schiedes --- I did the valve cover, it was a pain in the *** to do, basically shave it with sand paper and then sent it off to the powder coater.

Robear--- I did not run into any problems what so ever. keep in mind that my car is set up a little differently as far as the battery, IC pipes and mounting bracket for all my controllers, so it was simple for me. Craig, has created a product where with very simple tools, you can install it , IN less THAN 20 minutes.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

absolutely awesome....this is on my list of things to buy for my build.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

i want one of these units so bad but hurtin on the cash flow wish thet would do a group buy on these
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

^We don't have any plans for a groub buy in the near future. However evo m members do get a discount. When joining our online store be sure to use your evo m screen name.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

update:

drove to work this morning : temps were right around 15 degrees outside, roads were dry...26 psi with the meth and 15 degree temperatures.... showed no signs of break up.. ( this is with a gap of 30 as well)

*** dyno is indicating an increase in power for sure...absolutely awesome ride for sure.

also a weird thing happened as well, my afrs have gone way richer, I don't know if the ignition has anything to do with it. My only thought is that they ignition is burning thoroughly which would cause the VE of the motor to increase..( am I off base here ?)
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

you got any problems with it getting wet and miss fire?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

No mis fires even though it was slightly wet, The box is solid state, but like any electronics, you don't want to submerge it in a bucket of water, and then expect it to work.

I would highly recommend spark techs system.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Great Review!!!! I can't wait to get my COP!! They are BALLER!!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments

Quick Reply: Houston We have IGNITION!!! ( SPARKTECH PRO CDI) FTW