Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ACT XTSS Review

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OZrallyracer
To the OP, High PSI... You were asked about this multiple times, and I think you are slightly off base on the subject... Your opening post of this thread says you just put in an ACT XT-SS, which is the sprung street disc offered by ACT. Then on the bottom of page eight, you replied to several questions (you quoted one in particular, but there were at least 4 previous to that one) about your thoughts on the solid street disc, and you replied that that's the one you are running... Based on your first post, that is incorrect. The solid street disk is unsprung and has the part code XT-SD not XT-SS. Which act do you have?
I have been running on my HD-SS with prolite flywheel for 60k+ now and i just had my 3/4 shift fork fail on me (to no fault of the clutch I might add as it has ZERO slip to this day still and no lockout either) and I have been very pleased with it (btw i have 110k on the car with 380whp/365tq ). I personally really like the prolite flywheel, it allows for much quicker heel toe downshifts and just seems peppier. For those who road race/autocross/canyon run, I'd highly recommend the prolite. I really didn't notice a difference around town other than just needing a few hundred rpm's more off the line. With my tranny taking a dive and the addition of my new BBK turbo and cams 5 months ago, I have been looking at the XT-SD for my next clutch to go in with my TRE stage 2 tranny rebuild. Anyone who has experience with this specific pressure plate/disc combo (XT-SD) I'm very interested on some thoughts on engagement and response on shifting compared to sprung discs... I think this is my next clutch choice. I really wouldn't mind a little extra grab/ slight chatter the solid hub may create. I also read somewhere on here that the solid hub street disk is just over 2 lbs lighter than the SS disk which is pretty substantial considering the disks don't weigh a whole lot to begin with... I've only had good results with ACT and for the price, you can't beat them!
I have a spring street disk and it has 60K on it by now, no twin disk can touch that mileage. I will always maintain the SPRUNG STREET DISK. I stated it is the XTSS, which is this guy here.

I suggest you take it easy on your shifting, that's how forks are bent. I have a Six speed with 100K on it and 460WHP, when I changed the gear oil 5K ago it was clean and no trash. Just gotta love your car.

FWIW I have had a Sprung 6-puck and a Light Weight flywheel, it made a HELL of a lot of noise and howled under deceleration but man I could parallel park with it and it bit like a Crocodile.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
FWIW I have had a Sprung 6-puck and a Light Weight flywheel, it made a HELL of a lot of noise and howled under deceleration but man I could parallel park with it and it bit like a Crocodile.
I second the noise it makes under decel, although nothing like some of the Exedy Twin or Quartermaster's I have installed.

I have the 6 puck sprung with a street lite and it drives decent. Most pedal effort out of any clutch I have had in an EVO. Reminds me the of the DSM 2600 days.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

OMG the ACT 2600 was the End all be all.
Old May 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Good point, I don't launch my car at all acutally; but as I road race and do a lot of spirited canyon driving, It's tough for me to not be shifting a lot and decently quickly. I change my trans fluid with amsoil every 10k because of my driving habits, and has served me well until just recently. I'm suprised my tranny lasted this long to be honest. I'm actually getting 4.11 final drive put in my new tranny to keep from having to hit third for quick intervals while out in the twisties. I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the shift fork failure, as I just barely run out of 2nd gear on some of the straights, and i have to go into third for a short stint and then immediately come back to second for the next turn. Repeat and repeat and 3rd becomes the gear that was the culprit in my case. But it took 110k hard miles...

I also have been doing some research and based on what Jon at TRE was saying in one of his information sections on his site, the 9.1 lb flywheel i'm running could be a big culprit to my failure as well. It doesn't absorb as many of the engine harmonics through loss of inertia with less mass. I think I'm actually going to run a stock resurfaced flywheel. Jon recommends the 6 puck disk for my type of driving, as with the disk being much lighter it will disengage quicker/reengage quicker, but i've also driven on a six puck in a friend's evo and I really didn't like how completely on/off it was and the mileage you get is not nearly as good. I think running the unsprung street disk with it being much lighter than the SS, and a stock flywheel which will take some of the abuse from the engine out of the equation will give me a good in-between clutch option that wont be terrible to drive on the street, but will give me the performance I'm looking for. To each his own, I have loved my HDSS for the past 2 yrs I've had it on, haven't had any issues with the clutch at all. Great thread here guys, I will give some reviews of my thoughts on the XTSD with stock flywheel when I get my car all buttoned up for comparison to the HDSS/ prolite.

Last edited by OZrallyracer; May 18, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone had problems with there clutch disc springs falling out or pp fingers getting damaged? I know act was having problems with that for a little bit, its been awhile since i have had to buy one so i was wondering if they got that all taken care of.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZrallyracer
Good point, I don't launch my car at all acutally; but as I road race and do a lot of spirited canyon driving, It's tough for me to not be shifting a lot and decently quickly. I change my trans fluid with amsoil every 10k because of my driving habits, and has served me well until just recently. I'm suprised my tranny lasted this long to be honest. I'm actually getting 4.11 final drive put in my new tranny to keep from having to hit third for quick intervals while out in the twisties. I'm pretty sure this is the reason for the shift fork failure, as I just barely run out of 2nd gear on some of the straights, and i have to go into third for a short stint and then immediately come back to second for the next turn. Repeat and repeat and 3rd becomes the gear that was the culprit in my case. But it took 110k hard miles...

I also have been doing some research and based on what Jon at TRE was saying in one of his information sections on his site, the 9.1 lb flywheel i'm running could be a big culprit to my failure as well. It doesn't absorb as many of the engine harmonics through loss of inertia with less mass. I think I'm actually going to run a stock resurfaced flywheel. Jon recommends the 6 puck disk for my type of driving, as with the disk being much lighter it will disengage quicker/reengage quicker, but i've also driven on a six puck in a friend's evo and I really didn't like how completely on/off it was and the mileage you get is not nearly as good. I think running the unsprung street disk with it being much lighter than the SS, and a stock flywheel which will take some of the abuse from the engine out of the equation will give me a good in-between clutch option that wont be terrible to drive on the street, but will give me the performance I'm looking for. To each his own, I have loved my HDSS for the past 2 yrs I've had it on, haven't had any issues with the clutch at all. Great thread here guys, I will give some reviews of my thoughts on the XTSD with stock flywheel when I get my car all buttoned up for comparison to the HDSS/ prolite.

Why would a Six Puck hurt mileage? As long as it grabs you should be OK.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUMP!!! Im going to buy a XTSS soon, High_Psi any update at this time? LOL!