Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMSOIL - Ongoing Track Review!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Nope. Just a regular guy with a regular motor. Stock block, trans, clutch, cams, diff, etc. AMSOIL in the engine... 21k miles; 35+ track days.

I was told I could run the Dominator to 3k miles; even if they were track miles. Do I plan to do that...no. I'm a guy that'll change oil mostly after every weekend event; maybe 2 if they're close. I change the trans/diff/t-case twice a year now at least. I know the SCCA T2 guys that run 40min races do it constantly! It's just cheap insurance imo.

And 280; nice! I read of a couple people seeing those temps. That'd for sure bother me. I have no idea what I was running last year as I just got the oil temp gauge put in this winter. It's got a warning light that I set on 250 and it's blinking red pretty quick. Didn't seem to matter if I was running my 100oct 26psi 360whp tune or my 93oct 23psi 310whp tune.
Cheap Insurance ? Yes, in a way..

I would want to do a few rounds of oil analysis. Not only will it tell you how the oil is holding up, it will also give you an idea on how the engine is holding up by giving you wear metals and fuel dilution as well.

Cheap insurance and a gain in knowledge for less than $23.00

LG
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
The newer EVO's do spec a 5W-30..

Not only that, there is NO Difference between 10W-30 and 5W-30 at operating temperature.

The difference is at Startup where the 5W-30 will tend to give a little better lubrication.. Necessary if running a petroleum oil, not so much running a True Synthetic.

LG
yep,

flow rates its what makes the differecne between the 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30, but like stated many many times in this thread, they al lubricate as a 30 oil, therefore all these oils can be used in hot climates, cold climates you might want to stick with the 0W or 5W
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

I would want to do a few rounds of oil analysis. Not only will it tell you how the oil is holding up, it will also give you an idea on how the engine is holding up by giving you wear metals and fuel dilution as well.

LG

LG
we have already reccomended to the OP to get some oil analysis labs going asap, since he is racing his car, this will let him know of any anomalies that might be going on inside his engine, he will be able to do it periodically because he will be draining periodically during race season.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We're currently running the 15w dominator in the 600whp stock block Evo.
good oil you are running there.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Andy,

Is there any reasoning behind not being able to run the Dominator in a DD?

I always change my oil out at 2k mile intervals, and have ran the Dom daily with out noticing any ill effects.

I'm all ears.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Andy,

I always change my oil out at 2k mile intervals, and have ran the Dom daily with out noticing any ill effects.

I'm all ears.
Read post #11
Old Aug 4, 2009, 07:21 PM

Although not recommended for an extended drain interval, with a TBN of over 8, which is more than many oils, the RD Series will have no problem going to the Longest recommended drain interval for the EVO whixh is 5000.

One exception may be the X which even after tuning has a pretty high fuel dilution ratio.

Going back to what has been said, I would recommend using oil analysis to build a base line change interval.

I know people running the RD Series to 5000 with no problems and analysis still shows it is good.

LG
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^Oil analysis is a GREAT recomendation to anyone no matter the oil. Is a good tool to determine what your driving habits and oil situation are regrading drain interval. I am currently running a test with my wifes van using Mobil 1 Fuel Economy synthetic. Running 5k miles and the use oil analysis. Replace with ATM or SSO, depends what I have at the time, do another 5k miles to see which oil runs better.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LG
Originally Posted by apagan01
LG
we have already reccomended to the OP to get some oil analysis labs going asap, since he is racing his car, this will let him know of any anomalies that might be going on inside his engine, he will be able to do it periodically because he will be draining periodically during race season.
Yeps, like I said in my original post, I will be sending in samples to Blackstone labs for analysis and will list out the results in this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

I am an Amsoil dealer as well and have spoke to Andy on the phone. Lots of good knowledge from him. There is some info in this thread that I wasn't aware of.......good thread!

Btw, I run Amsoil atm in in my Evo and seems to perform very well. I also run the motorcycle 4 stroke oil in my dirt bike and street bike. Good stuff.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

I run SSO in my X which is essentially an HPDE car but I do drive it to and from the track. Am I running the right oil?

I end up changing it after every 2-day event or what usually amounts to about 800 miles.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

SSO is a 0W-30 oil and should do well. Regarding change interval, do an oil analysis the next time you drain. May find you are changing to quick.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fixem2
SSO is a 0W-30 oil and should do well. Regarding change interval, do an oil analysis the next time you drain. May find you are changing to quick.
iam sure most of us change our oils way to quick specially if using a high quality synthetic.

SSO can run for ever
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Andy,

I'm all ears.

Dominator Racing oil's are great oils there are some heave powered evos running it like all AMSperformance race builds, AWDmotorsports, TTPengineering race builds, and not only evo's but also plenty domestics.

RD oil was designed specifically for racing in mind, if you come to think about it most modified evo's are being driven hard at the track or street, so the extra protection of the Dominator will benefit you.

If you always change your oil at 2k then you are more than ok. the reason iam so cautious with dominator is because it is a pure racing oil and it should not be taken to the drain intervals that our ATM and SSO oils can be taken, everyone needs to be to cognizant about draining the Dominator oil at the correct timing wich is around 3k, i reccomend that you get some oil analysis program going for your own car this way you can get some confidence on when and what is the best drain interval for you situation.

Bottom line is if anyone is running Dominator 5W30 on the EvoX, 10W30 or 15W50 on the Evo's 8-9, most likelyyou dont run your oil over 3-4k max most gear heads are picky like that, so am i, with that being said running RD oils is your best choice specially when running hot fuels like Q16, C16, E85, METH/Water, NOS.

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 5, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, I haven't put that oil I bought from you in my Evo yet, but I did put it in my mother's Altima (the 0w30 SSO) and it seems like it starts a bit faster and easier and the engine feels like it might be a bit smoother as well. Now i've got another tune and such my car will be going closer to the red a little more often.. the SSO is still cool doing that though right?

Quick Reply: AMSOIL - Ongoing Track Review!