Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMSOIL DOT4 Brake Fluid - Track Review!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
Troy

please update us because it helps the community and its education on racing fluids.

i am sure youre feedback will mirror Nathan's
+1 I'd also like to see a comparo with Endless fluid. I use endless and it's awesome but Amsoil is a fraction of the price, and I use it everywhere else.

Last edited by nudge120; May 21, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nudge120
+1 I'd also like to see a comparo with Endless fluid. I use endless and it's awesome but Amsoil is a fraction of the price, and I use it everywhere else.
Sorry, but I personally have no plans to test other brake fluids. I've got something that works very well in AMSOIL DOT4 and I have no urge to trade down.

The only other fluid that did interest me was SRF - and wow is that stuff expensive! Back when I was running Motul, I was drawn to SRF because I've heard people don't have to bleed it all year which would have really cut down on my intake of my the old Motul since I was constantly bleeding to keep a firm pedal. AMSOIL DOT4 has done just that; pretty much eliminated the need to bleed after a trackday or even a track weekend.

And trust me, I'm hard on the brakes! I can overpower and lock up 245 Hoosiers with my setup! I'll try to post up some braking g's to give everyone an idea.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Here's 2 quick examples showing 1.15g of braking. These are on flat straights, nothing deceiving with uphill braking or anything.

The first is braking down from 133mph!
Name:  Gateway_Braking.png
Views: 0
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  Putnam_Braking.png
Size:  11.1 KB
Old May 21, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Sorry, but I personally have no plans to test other brake fluids. I've got something that works very well in AMSOIL DOT4 and I have no urge to trade down.

The only other fluid that did interest me was SRF - and wow is that stuff expensive! Back when I was running Motul, I was drawn to SRF because I've heard people don't have to bleed it all year which would have really cut down on my intake of my the old Motul since I was constantly bleeding to keep a firm pedal. AMSOIL DOT4 has done just that; pretty much eliminated the need to bleed after a trackday or even a track weekend.

And trust me, I'm hard on the brakes! I can overpower and lock up 245 Hoosiers with my setup! I'll try to post up some braking g's to give everyone an idea.
Maybe if I can get my hands on some Amsoil in Japan. I'll may try to do a comparo. BTW Endless RF650 would not be a step down, It is considered by many race teams to be the best brake fluid made. It is now the factory fill in all Porsche GT3 cup cars. It's not only used, but in MANY of the top finishers for all types of racing, including WRC, LeMans, ALMS, and F1. RF-650 is actually one of only 2 brake fluids currently used by F1 teams, the other fluid being a special fluid developed by Brembo, and not readily available for sale. Many various US teams using Endless had been using SRF.

With Motul the pedal seems to gain more travel when the fluid is hot, with endless the pedal feel stays firm/consistant when hot. Endless has higher wet and dry boil temp than Motul (Motul Racing 600 585 // 421 Motul Racing 660 610 // 400 vs Endless RF650 622 // 424). Honestly they seem to have better marketing than Endless and SRF because so many seem to consider it the best.

I have not used Castrol SRF but I've read some comparos on porsche forums, and they tend to prefer Endless. Stating it tends to hold up better than SRF(SRF has a heavy drop off when you get water in it), the advantage comes from the fact that it absorbs water much more slowly than SRF, making its Dry boiling point the more relevant number (than Wet) for a longer period than SRF.(Castrol SRF: 590°F dry//518°F wet vs Endless RF-650: 613°F dry//424°F wet) This seems to backup Endless's claim of being less hygroscopic than other high performance fluids so it can be used longer before flushing. Along with the claim of having less compressablity than other fluids which means consistanly firm feel with less unneeded brake bleeding, a number of successful enduro teams use Endless so they should be able to backup that claim also.

I'm just not sure the $60/liter for endless is worth it, if amsoil can offer 95% of performance for a fraction of the price. Sorry to carry on but it seem not to many people know much about endless, it should be held in the same regard, possibly higher, as castrol SRF($75/liter) and both are above Motul in my experience/opinion. I looked into it because I saw it on the shelf at a local autobacs when I first moved to Japan and have been using it since.

Last edited by nudge120; May 21, 2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry man,,, this will not be a test fluids thread.

Nathan is a sponsored AMSOIL car and he will put AMSOIL through its paces and just report what he experiences.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

He's posted alot of good factual info. It seem to be the best brake fluid you can get for the money.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

He's posted alot of good factual info. It seem to be the best brake fluid you can get for the money.
Man you got that right for less than 10 bucks a break fluid with ERBP of 580°F
Old May 22, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm good information.. I was kinda upset to see the sponsorship part as I do not see how anyone would say anything bad about a sponsors part if it was indeed less than expected (not saying that it is)
Old May 23, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rogue
Hmmm good information.. I was kinda upset to see the sponsorship part as I do not see how anyone would say anything bad about a sponsors part if it was indeed less than expected (not saying that it is)
I wouldn't run it. And I wouldn't spend my time talking about it. And I wouldn't have renewed for 2010.

Honestly I've gotten several offers to run certain pads or rotors etc on the car. Some I have thanked, but said no thanks after talking with them about where their products are aimed and decided they weren't for me. And instead went out and paid full price for products I know and trust.
At the speeds I run ... I'm not looking to save a few bucks to jeopardize my life. Brake setups are extremely important.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:13 AM
Account Disabled

Nathan thanks for being honnest and thanks for letting this community of how ASMOIL operates and how Motul operated for you.

this is our 2nd year with your sponsorship, and i recall all the long hours conversations we had and they were well worth it discussing your best choice of fluid,,, we prooved they outperform what you were using and your car is loving it which is the important part.

keep the data comming.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't run it. And I wouldn't spend my time talking about it. And I wouldn't have renewed for 2010.

Honestly I've gotten several offers to run certain pads or rotors etc on the car. Some I have thanked, but said no thanks after talking with them about where their products are aimed and decided they weren't for me. And instead went out and paid full price for products I know and trust.
At the speeds I run ... I'm not looking to save a few bucks to jeopardize my life. Brake setups are extremely important.

Originally Posted by apagan01
Nathan thanks for being honnest and thanks for letting this community of how ASMOIL operates and how Motul operated for you.

this is our 2nd year with your sponsorship, and i recall all the long hours conversations we had and they were well worth it discussing your best choice of fluid,,, we prooved they outperform what you were using and your car is loving it which is the important part.

keep the data comming.
Definitely.
What's been great about this year, very low maintenance! For example, I brought the car home last Sunday 5/16 and parked it in the garage. It's still there on the trailer as I haven't had the need to tear into it or anything. Such a great feeling! Next event(s) is in 2.5 weeks though, and some parts are on order, oil change needed, new pads going in along with a quick bleed, etc. Stay tuned for details to be sure!
Old May 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

Definitely.
What's been great about this year, very low maintenance! For example, I brought the car home last Sunday 5/16 and parked it in the garage. It's still there on the trailer as I haven't had the need to tear into it or anything. Such a great feeling! Next event(s) is in 2.5 weeks though, and some parts are on order, oil change needed, new pads going in along with a quick bleed, etc. Stay tuned for details to be sure!
yep i see you are bleeding much less than you usto with the other brand, and your pedal still maintains its firmity.

also your engine oil you are using RD 10W30 racing oil, di you started draining at longer intervals ?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely.
New pads - Hawk DTC60's - put in last week. Really not sure why more people don't use these; they've been great for me. Anyways, here's a quick pic:

Name:  Pads_1.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB
Old Jun 7, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had major brake fade with the raybestos ST-43 last weekend, and after talking to some guys on the track, alot are recommending the DTC 70/60 over the raybestos. Might be switching over to hawk, or try the CL brakes
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q8_EVO
I had major brake fade with the raybestos ST-43 last weekend, and after talking to some guys on the track, alot are recommending the DTC 70/60 over the raybestos. Might be switching over to hawk, or try the CL brakes
I've been skeptical of the ST-43's for awhile. A lot of people seem to like them, but a lot of people DE their cars too. I push mine much much harder.

The key is to find someone that drives a similar power/weight car, with similar tire compound and drives as easy/hard as you.

With my DTC60's (and AMSOIL DOT4 fluid of course) I can overpower the ABS and lock up tires even running a 245 Hoosier 15min into the session. That's not to say they are overpowering, but they do sorta feel like throwing out an anchor! I think I posted some of my g-force charts above from braking @ 1.15g - and my car weighs around 3260-3300 lbs on track.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL DOT4 Brake Fluid - Track Review!