Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

REVIEW: OS Giken TS2B Twin Plate Clutch (Lots of PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OS triple is the next big secret in the evo world.

The OS triple is an amazing clutch.

This is the RC3 model with the billet cover. This is what is in Sharkbite's car now. Converts to push style and very very easy to modulate.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: OS Giken TS2B Twin Plate Clutch (Lots of PICS!)-dpp_0001.jpg   REVIEW: OS Giken TS2B Twin Plate Clutch (Lots of PICS!)-dpp_0010.jpg   REVIEW: OS Giken TS2B Twin Plate Clutch (Lots of PICS!)-dpp_0005.jpg  

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Dec 15, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune

This is the RC3 model with the billet cover. This is what is in Sharkbite's car now. Converts to push style and very very easy to modulate.

Sean
Didn't want to post the pic's until you did
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune

Sean
how much total w conversion?

Nice!
looks kinda similar to Carbonetic
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

+ 1 on that

I looked everywhere and I cannot find a triple plate for the evo!!!

Do you want to share more info?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That's interesting. I liked everything in the review until I saw the unspung discs and figured just another on/off clutch.

I'm in the market for a twin disc, but my Evo is my daily driver (only car as a matter of fact). So, drivability and low noise is very important.

I just can't see how smooth of an engagement there can be with the unsprung discs. But, if both of you are saying that, I guess I will have to take your word for it.

Also, I don't think I saw it posted (read a couple days ago)...what is the torque rating of this clutch?
Yeah, my car is pretty much my daily as well and that's exactly what I didn't want again, I was a little skeptical as you are. But trust me, you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised with how the clutch feels. Extremely easy to modulate and drive daily, it slips awesome, nothing near a QM or Tilton, its very civil.

As far as torque capacities go, I just sent Sean an email so I'll have a number for you as soon as I hear back as I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

rgar:

Longevity was another thing I was worried about as well, especially when, while buying my QM, Adam at Devo assured me that if I got 47K out of my stock clutch, the QM was going to last at least as long, or longer than that. The QM was dead at 20K.

To give an estimate, depending on how you drive, you should be able to get about two years out of an OS clutch. Approx. 40K miles? Don't quote me on that number, but I wouldn't have bought the clutch if I had any doubts about mileage.

I've heard of drift guys running their second and even into their third season on just one OS clutch, which is no small feat. So even with the evo's horrible reputation for killing clutches, I think we should be ok with this one.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

As far as the torque capacity, the TS2B is rated at just under 900lb/ft while the R2CD is at a 1000lb/ft. I'll be installing the R2CD in a few months and I'll have a review for you guys then. It is certainly more clutch than I need but I want to try something other than Exedy. This clucth has so many great reviews from high horsepower Supra and Skyline owners that I'm willing to give it a go and test OS Giken's claim on performance and durability.

Last edited by dieselmd; Jan 28, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dieselmd
As far as the torque capacity, the TS2B is rated at just under 900lb/ft while the R2CD is at a 1000lb/ft. I'll be installing the R2CD in January and I'll have a review for you guys then. It is certainly more clutch than I need but I want to try something other than Exedy. This clucth has so many great reviews from high horsepower Supra and Skyline owners that I'm willing to give it a go and test OS Giken's claim on performance and durability.
I'm subscibed...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dieselmd
As far as the torque capacity, the TS2B is rated at just under 900lb/ft while the R2CD is at a 1000lb/ft. I'll be installing the R2CD in January and I'll have a review for you guys then. It is certainly more clutch than I need but I want to try something other than Exedy. This clucth has so many great reviews from high horsepower Supra and Skyline owners that I'm willing to give it a go and test OS Giken's claim on performance and durability.
Working on that

Now I just need to find a turbo that can handle it and not fall apart.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:24 AM
4DR
Evolved Member

Nice review. I think I'm sold. Just need the mula. Subscribed as well. It was only a few days ago that someone mentioned OS giken to me and I was yet to look into the company to see what they have for our cars.
Again, nice review......great results. In regards to the drivability of the QM and Exedy HD/SD, we needed an "in between" clutch. This is it.

Last edited by 4DR; Dec 16, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Working on that

Now I just need to find a turbo that can handle it and not fall apart.
hey shark can you pm me how much the tripple ran you?
thanks
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I used OS twin in my evo 1 for about 6 months. I picked it up used off e-bay for like 250$ The clutch is noisier than this poster is making it out to be. Once its broken in and the floaters loosen up its not much quieter than quarter master/PTT/Tilton ceramics. It rattles the driveshaft on decel with the best of them. rattles pretty good with clutch disengaged The engagement is pretty much like a 6 puck. smooth but direct. High RPM shifting is nothing special either. not much better than the factory clutch. I do like that throw out bearing conversion. Thats the nicest one I have seen. I would choose the spec or exedy twin over this clutch.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is smooth and quite
Old Dec 17, 2009, 02:48 AM
4DR
Evolved Member

94AWDCOUPE. You bought a used OS Giken clutch, nevertheless for an Evo 1. Do you think the comparison of that clutch to the newer technology for the evo8 is a fair one?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Mine is smooth and quite
Shark, do you think that a car similar to your power levels, a least on pump could get away with the twin plate, or the triple plate is a must?

To the OP and Shark: have you tried very high rev shifting yet? I am talking in the region of 9000rpm.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Any chance we can get a recording of what this clutch sounds like? Clutch engaged/disengaged/engaged? I know allot of people are saying specs are really quiet also, but mines not. I could deal with the rattling with the clutch engaged, but the squeal starting from a stop(or when ever you slip it just a little bit) is very annoying(to me at least).

Quick Reply: REVIEW: OS Giken TS2B Twin Plate Clutch (Lots of PICS!)