Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.
View Poll Results: Has your turbo failed?
FP Black failed
4.45%
FP Red Failed
14.57%
FP Green Failed
5.67%
No Failures
75.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Has your FP Turbo failed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
Howdy Everybody!

Nipples breaking and bending is the most common form of shipping damage. It isnt the installation that breaks them, they are crimped and soldered onto the can, they dont vibrate off or just fall off with a bump or two.

The location of the nipple is pretty poor for packaging as it sort of sticks out like, well a nipple, and if you arent looking carefully you wont even notice that the nipple is bent when you repackage and redistribute the product from FP to MAP to customer or however it went down in this case, unfortunately when all the packaging is discarded and gone, we can't even follow up on a shipping claim.

It doesnt have anything to do with defective parts, just damage. Sometimes even MHI turbos arrive from Japan like this (GASP). Despite our best and ever evolving efforts to improve packaging, it is possible to get nipple damage. In the event that you realize that you have a tweaked nipple, respond immediately to our support lines with a wet ***** or in extreme cases an atomic wedgie. and please save the packaging so we can file a claim for the damage.

Again, I'd like to point out that this poll is highly suspect, and these numbers are far far from accurate.

hey rob i was wondering if you had email or im i could reach you at thanks .....
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

My email is robert@forcedperformance.net

My phone which is about the best way to reach me is 972 984 1800 ext #108 I prolly take betwen 20-30 calls a day, and usually clear the VM box and return calls daily as well.

Amber can always help too, her ext is #100, and then there is Aniel, he always wants to help, he's at #117. Then there's Brian in the service shop at #103, he pretty much knows what I know about turbos, he's been with the company for close to 10 years now.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
My email is robert@forcedperformance.net

My phone which is about the best way to reach me is 972 984 1800 ext #108 I prolly take betwen 20-30 calls a day, and usually clear the VM box and return calls daily as well.

Amber can always help too, her ext is #100, and then there is Aniel, he always wants to help, he's at #117. Then there's Brian in the service shop at #103, he pretty much knows what I know about turbos, he's been with the company for close to 10 years now.
Dude, Wazzzup?

Oh, dont forget the 60 trim I bought from you and went mid 10's on a stock head and transmission.

Over 150 passes at 32 PSI and sold it to another guy who still races it.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I guess I spoke too soon.

2006 Evo IX with an FP Red on stock block 4G63. 46,000 miles. I have had the FP Red 80MM with upgraded oil lines since September 2009.

Today I came off an express way and noticed I no longer had any boost. After driving a few more lights, the car would not go into boost at all. I initially thought maybe a coupler blew, but after further investigation, it looks like the turbo went.

I took the car to a local Evo specialty shop and after taking off the intake, noticed that the compressor blades on the cold side were touching down on the compressor housing. Also, the blades will not spin freely. After letting the car cool down a little and starting it to get it into the bay, there is white smoke trailing out the exhaust.

I will be starting the warranty process as soon as the turbo comes off the car. I hope Forced Performance is as timely as they have been with a few others on here as far as diagnosis of failure and possibly warranty work. I expect the car to be down for a few weeks...

I wasn't boosting crazy at all and I always let my turbo timer run down when I shut it off. I'm confused.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
New 80mm FP Red with ugpraded oil lines, 8k miles so far. No issues at all whatsoever.
Originally Posted by compscibOi
Well, I guess I spoke too soon.
That sucks dude
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scheides
That sucks dude
It does, but I love the turbo and still plan on figuring out why it failed and working with FP to get it resolved.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that. My first Red, 64mm, failed exactly the same way, cruising home on the expressway after 3 months. I was told it was machining error and FP fixed it at no charge. I then upgraded to the 80mm housing since August of last year and no problems to this date.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

The FP Green on my VIII ran incredibly strong. Now it's sitting in my garage because I parted out the VIII before I sold it. If that turbo fit my new X it would already be on there. That's how much I liked that snail.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
here are my pics as promised

looks like the plate under the blades became loose, it raised up hence the blades touching. There is movement in shaft up and down and all around

i dont race, drag, dd, just sometime on nice weekends

some pics of when she was installed

ill try to send it to FP by Wednesday
I sent my FPRED to FP and they gave me the warranty 100%, after almost 1 year (actually about 2 weeks before the year was up)
I paid extra and had them upgrade her to a FPBLACK it was about $500.00 for the upgrade, i also bought some more stuff from them too.
Those guys at FP are great ****ing guys, they stand behind there product even though i didn't use the upgraded oil lines.
Forced Performance FTW {thum bup}{ thumbup}
Brian is a GREAT GUY TOO.
The whole process took only one week.
Again Forced Performance FTW {thum bup}{ thumbup}
FP officially became my only source for any turbo purchase. {thum bup}

FP CUSTOMER FOR LIFE!

sorry i didn't tell you guys what happened earlier.

Last edited by MR. EVO MR; Mar 24, 2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Wow nice ^ I hope my process goes that smoothly.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

it's good that FP is replacing problem turbos. i'm curious though how much this whole process costs. someone had to install the turbo to begin with. then a turbo fails, which likely involves towing, uninstalling the turbo, shipping, waiting for a replacement, then reinstall costs.

there could also be other costs, like other broken parts due to FOD.

i think that to add some meaningful data to the thread, folks should also report how much time and money a turbo failure costs. because that counts, too.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^thats a good point i dont know to many places that offer free labor, especially when it is no fault of their own. the last person to post said ttp gave him a loner stock turbo to use, so his downtime was minimal but im sure the extra costs add up.

by the way that is an awsome thing scott at ttp did with the loner turbo, must give credit were it is due.

jeff
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
it's good that FP is replacing problem turbos. i'm curious though how much this whole process costs. someone had to install the turbo to begin with. then a turbo fails, which likely involves towing, uninstalling the turbo, shipping, waiting for a replacement, then reinstall costs.

there could also be other costs, like other broken parts due to FOD.

i think that to add some meaningful data to the thread, folks should also report how much time and money a turbo failure costs. because that counts, too.
I'm paying that right now...

Turbo was originally installed back in September of '09. I forget exactly how much for labor was for the turbo install as I spent over $2k in labor getting my entire list of parts setup...

but I was able to drive my car w/o boost the day the turbo failed to my local tuning shop. Shipping 2 day air was ~$77.00 via FedEx.

I've already had to cough up $400+ for the removal of my setup. I am fortunate enough the shop doing the work has a loaner stock turbo to use in the mean time. I'm down to 19lbs of boost, but it could be sitting at the shop collecting dust!

Ill add up all the costs once I'm done but it isn't cheap even if FP warranties the turbo.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
$400 for removal of your setup? I don't get it. Drain your radiator, remove the hoses from the radiator end, pull it out. Unbolt lower intercooler pipe, manifold nuts, and manifold is loose. Take off water coolant line connections and disconnect oil feed and drain lines.

I take my time, and it never takes more than 70 minutes after the radiator drains... How long does it take your shop?

EDIT: I received a PM from TTP, the shop that did the work. It was not simply for removal of the Black, which was generally what I mentioned above. It also included reinstallation of a loaner turbo (which would essentially be the same as installing the Black), and a small charge for the loaner use, breaking down the Black for shipment to FP, and removal of the loaner and reinstall of the Black when it was returned by FP.

That amount of work for $400 sounds VERY reasonable, and TTP is well known for quality work, so if compscibOi can't or doesn't have time to do his own work, he's lucky to have a good shop close by that will do it for him at a reasonable price, and who has the loaner parts "in stock" to allow him to have little or no downtime. Kudos to TTP for that kind of service.

Last edited by CO_VR4; Mar 25, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: clarification on scope of work done
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
Account Disabled

I was given a loaner turbo while the rebuild/replace process is in place. That is worth it's weight in gold + shop labor to undo what was on the car and put on a stock turbo / o2 / manifold.

Without it, my car would be sitting collecting dust.

Quick Reply: Has your FP Turbo failed?