Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers review

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers review

Below is my review on the coilovers but first I'd like to start out with my review with the vendors I've been helped by. Before placing my order I pm'ed Terry to get his recommendations on spring rates and alignment settings since I plan on tracking the car. He pm'ed me back very promptly and answered all my questions and even recommended a shop in my area to do my alignment and corner balancing of the car. I was very pleased with his customer service. Then, I got in touch with Alicia at Import Image and she did an amazing job as you can read in another review I made.

Last night I finally had a chance to install everything on my 06 MR and the install took a little over two hours in my garage at home without air tools. The car still needs an alignment and I still need to adjust the ride height as it is a bit slammed at the moment and driving through the D.C. area sucks. Install went very smoothly and I used the supplied brake line brackets so my brake lines were secure. Overall construction of the coilover is very nice and the attention to details are awesome. It's almost a shame you can't see them haha. Before the install I was on my stock MR suspension and the ride is a bit firmer but very manageable for daily driving.

I took the car out last night and wow the car feels amazing. Not bouncy at all. I've driven cars on full coilovers so I was expecting a stiff ride but the car feels great and perfect for daily driving and seems to be dampened perfectly to my 8k front and 11k rear springs. It handled pot holes and speed bumps without any clunking or abnormal noises and the car just feels amazing. I am very pleased.

I still need to adjust the height and get the car aligned but I brought it into work today without any issues. I'll put some pictures later today of them installed and how the car is sitting before and after I adjust the height haha. I'll be doing some autocrosses and NASA events later this year so I'll be sure to update how the car feels out on the track.

Here is a prelim picture of the initial ride height:

Last edited by 91gst; May 3, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old May 5, 2010, 01:03 PM

Update:
Got the ride height sorted out and then had a friend do an alignment for me and got the camber where I wanted it. Car handles great and turns awesome. I don't get any pull to either side after I turn like I had on another set of coilovers on my 240. Car tracks straight as an arrow. Here are some pics of the coilovers installed and possible track wheels if I want.

Brake Line Bracket:

Possible Track Wheels(17x9 +17 with 245-40 Hoosiers):

Rear wheel at full droop(has more droop now after adjusting the rear):

Old May 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

did you install bump steer kit and roll center kit?
Old May 6, 2010, 05:03 AM

No, no bump steer or roll center kit right now.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

i seen these coilovers on many different cars.. i herd good and bad reviews but i guess i a person preference kind of thing... but it does look very good hows the ride like?
Old May 6, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Same here, looking for a decent write up on the ride quality and handling.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:58 AM

Ride quality is what I think you can expect when you up your springs rates and go to a full coilover with solid upper mounts. The ride is stiff but not at all bouncy. It feels well controlled by the shock. I haven't noticed any clunking or creaking.

My spring rates are 8k Front/ 11k Rear so it is a bit on the stiff side for the street but all of my cars in the past have been a bit stiff so I am used to it I guess. I had a 240sx in the past with stance coilovers and 8k Front/ 6k Rear and the ride was similar but its hard to compare considering there are other variables in ride quality and handling.

For the price the quality is hard to beat. The evo is such a great handling car from the factory and I was a bit skeptical on what a full coilover would do but after putting these on I am really amazed as to how it helped eliminate body roll and the car seems to have great turn in(pushed a little going on and off the highway entrances haha). I daily drive this car on crappy D.C. roads and on the crappy highways going to VA and I am comfortable with the ride. Don't know what else there is to review without going on track.

I'll be running a few events with NASA and will update and give a full review on how the car handles and rides on track.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

How are the Fortune coilovers holding up?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

We use fortune auto on our cars as well. My car which should be running soon has the Drag spec coils on it and we are very very pleased with the setup. I should have a review written up as soon as we have a build thread up on it. They are however different settings from the off the shelf spring rates most get ours are 9k/5k but this car will have somewhere around 900hp and see some track use
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
Account Disabled

Nice...i been looking for a good review on these, still debating on them but they seem awsome
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've been searching for some good coilovers myself. Heard alot of good about Fortune auto's and may just make the move.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just picked up a pair my self. Just added swift springs and swift helpers assist spring to them.
Custom valving job also.

Cant wait

PS I had HKS Hypermax II before.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys any updates on how your Fortune Auto Coilovers are holding up?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:33 PM

nice coil.. love them
Old Jun 6, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 8k miles on mine and they are still noise free and feel great even with four autox events on them. On my 7k/9k spring rates I get a gentler ride on full soft then I did my Bilstein/Tanabe spring and shock combo. After adjusting the dampeners for track use I decided to just leave it since it is very bearable on the street. The car handles like it is on rails an has added confidence when pushed hard. I will be upgrading my springs soon to swift 9k/11k and will let you guys know if the upgrade is worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers review