Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Spoolinup COP review

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Spoolinup COP review

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Matt and his Spoolinup COP ignition he produces.

My car is a 2003 Evo 8 with about 88,000 well maintained miles. I've always felt my car was down a bit on power compared to most other evos with similar mods that I've driven/ridden in around my local area.

I always wondered if my coils were the culprit of the loss in power in the past. I regularly changed my plugs, and just changed my spark plug wires last year. I'm running about 27psi on E85/stock turbo/bolt ons.

Right after I was tuned on E85, I noticed slight misfires while going WOT. It was absolutely annoying and robbing me of power every time it occurred. I even gapped my plugs down to 0.020" and it'd still cut out all the way through the revs (sometimes just slightly felt, other times it was VERY noticeable).

One of my buddies here locally installed the spoolinup COP and it cured all of his exact same issues he was having (very similar setup). I was still sort of skeptical about spending money on the COP, but being the ignition cut out I was getting was getting worse over time, especially in cooler temps, I decided to go with a used coil setup from Matt.

I received the product this past Friday afternoon and installation was very simple obviously.

I gapped my NGK BR8ES's to 0.030's and put the COP in with ease. Initially, I did notice that the throttle response was improved. I did a couple quick pulls, and my car pulls MUCH stronger in the butt dyno department. NO hesitation/misfires/etc. I'm 100% this was the missing link as to why my car always felt "down on power".

When I did these pulls, it was on a 70 degree day, and it felt even stronger than what my car ever did even in single digit degree days. So I'm really pleased with the product that Matt puts out there and I would HIGHLY recommend this product to any evo owner out there; especially the higher mileage evos that haven't touched their stock coils yet.

One other pleasant surprise, is when I get into boost in 5th gear at low RPMS, I'd get a lot of flutter with my Synapse Valve. Now, that is cured from what I can tell. I tried replicating the situation multiple times, and the car is smooth as can be!

Thanks again, Matt!

Old May 17, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Awesome review
Old May 17, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just installed mine yesterday too, runs better and less unburnt E85 smell, lots of bang for the buck here.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also running that setup...no complaints what so ever. It cant get any better than that.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Any of you guys with evo 8's running higher than a 0.030" spark plug gap with the spoolinup COP?

I just picked that gap out as a starting point as I didn't have much time to try larger gaps before the autox this weekend. Just curious!

Thanks
Old May 17, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say that's pretty close to the limit...
Old May 18, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I am running .024 on my Densos running 28psi on 92 pump no issue. I would run .020 before with out the COP and I am about to switch out to some Denso iridium's.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
I just wanted to share my recent experience with Matt and his Spoolinup COP ignition he produces.

My car is a 2003 Evo 8 with about 88,000 well maintained miles. I've always felt my car was down a bit on power compared to most other evos with similar mods that I've driven/ridden in around my local area.

I always wondered if my coils were the culprit of the loss in power in the past. I regularly changed my plugs, and just changed my spark plug wires last year. I'm running about 27psi on E85/stock turbo/bolt ons.

Right after I was tuned on E85, I noticed slight misfires while going WOT. It was absolutely annoying and robbing me of power every time it occurred. I even gapped my plugs down to 0.020" and it'd still cut out all the way through the revs (sometimes just slightly felt, other times it was VERY noticeable).

One of my buddies here locally installed the spoolinup COP and it cured all of his exact same issues he was having (very similar setup). I was still sort of skeptical about spending money on the COP, but being the ignition cut out I was getting was getting worse over time, especially in cooler temps, I decided to go with a used coil setup from Matt.

I received the product this past Friday afternoon and installation was very simple obviously.

I gapped my NGK BR8ES's to 0.030's and put the COP in with ease. Initially, I did notice that the throttle response was improved. I did a couple quick pulls, and my car pulls MUCH stronger in the butt dyno department. NO hesitation/misfires/etc. I'm 100% this was the missing link as to why my car always felt "down on power".

When I did these pulls, it was on a 70 degree day, and it felt even stronger than what my car ever did even in single digit degree days. So I'm really pleased with the product that Matt puts out there and I would HIGHLY recommend this product to any evo owner out there; especially the higher mileage evos that haven't touched their stock coils yet.

One other pleasant surprise, is when I get into boost in 5th gear at low RPMS, I'd get a lot of flutter with my Synapse Valve. Now, that is cured from what I can tell. I tried replicating the situation multiple times, and the car is smooth as can be!

Thanks again, Matt!

Appreciate the awesome review! Thanks!

I'd probably run between .028-.026 gap.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Now you should get retune with COP kit. didn't your tuner notice misfire when tuning?
Old May 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fugiwara
Now you should get retune with COP kit. didn't your tuner notice misfire when tuning?
Yeah, I'm probably going to get it touched up a bit. Plus I've added a Buschur FMIC/LICP since then, so I may raise the boost slightly too.

Old May 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

Installed mine on Friday, drove my usual 220 miles home for the weekend then another 300miles on the return.

Route was Chicago -> Lansing, MI -> Detroit -->Lansing --> Chicago.

Things that are noticeably different:

#1. Smoother throttle
#2. Gas Mileage up 1.6 GPM (was avg. 23.7 mpg highway, now 25.3 mpg)
#3. Minor noise reduction in the exhaust/engine sound ( this is due to burning the fuel more efficiently I believe)

Gap=.28

Engine mods - HKS 272, 3" exhaust no cat, 23psi stock 8 turbo, 3.5" IC

I like the new coils with the Spoolinup logo on them and the CF plate is top notch

Great Product at a great price !
Old May 18, 2010, 05:17 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My god that's a crazy weekend commute.
BTW......

Originally Posted by pfunk47
Installed mine on Friday, drove my usual 220 miles home for the weekend then another 300miles on the return.

Route was Chicago -> Lansing, MI -> Detroit -->Lansing --> Chicago.

Things that are noticeably different:

#1. Smoother throttle
#2. Gas Mileage up 1.6 GPM (was avg. 23.7 mpg highway, now 25.3 mpg)
#3. Minor noise reduction in the exhaust/engine sound ( this is due to burning the fuel more efficiently I believe)

Gap=.28

Engine mods - HKS 272, 3" exhaust no cat, 23psi stock 8 turbo, 3.5" IC

I like the new coils with the Spoolinup logo on them and the CF plate is top notch

Great Product at a great price !
Old May 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, I forgot the pics!

I'm not photo expert but here's one I snagged.

Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:32 PM

Where can I purchase one of these kits? This thread sold me.

Thanks,
Josh
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:37 PM
EvoM Guru

http://www.szabaga.com/store/

Quick Reply: Spoolinup COP review