Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

GiroDisc NOT SO Magic pads...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
He should not have to remove anything as it is part of the system.
That should be the case, but I should have clarified it further.

It's much easier to just remove the clip to see if it alleviates the problem first. The clip is there to keep the pads from rattling around, but the tension sometimes keeps the pad too close to the disc, after release, and causes a slight drag (dust). If it doesn't fix your issue, you have eliminated the problem that could cause the excessive dusting, after that one could conclude the pad is not what it said it was.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
That should be the case, but I should have clarified it further.

It's much easier to just remove the clip to see if it alleviates the problem first. The clip is there to keep the pads from rattling around, but the tension sometimes keeps the pad too close to the disc, after release, and causes a slight drag (dust). If it doesn't fix your issue, you have eliminated the problem that could cause the excessive dusting, after that one could conclude the pad is not what it said it was.
i think you need to re read my post. its not the dusting of the pads thats the issue. look at the pictures of where the pad is resting on the rotor. its too close to the edge of the rotor. I also have a X. these pads are ment for an evo IX and they come with adapter plates to fit on a X. this is where the issues is coming into play.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
He should not have to remove anything as it is part of the system.
^that

nor should I have to sand my rotors.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
i think you need to re read my post. its not the dusting of the pads thats the issue. look at the pictures of where the pad is resting on the rotor. its too close to the edge of the rotor. I also have a X. these pads are ment for an evo IX and they come with adapter plates to fit on a X. this is where the issues is coming into play.
The picture is clearer now. Thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
did you bed in the pads? from the first post it reads like you didnt.....
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
^that

nor should I have to sand my rotors.
If you didn't clean them off since having your old pads on then thats why they squeak. Improper installation will cause squealing. You need to sand the rotors to get rid of the old pad material, half assing the job will result in unfavorable results.

Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:49 PM

Im having the same problem with the squeeling....maybe someone can help me on this one......All new rotors from girodisc, axxis ultimate pads, and motul 600 fluid...Like silver06 mentioned, kinda hard to mess things up, i did exactly what was shown. Bed-in was like this: 60 MPH and moderate braking....then 40 MPH and moderate braking...now i have a squeel so bad on the passenger side it hurts. Funny thing is this, its only in light braking that it squeels, and the driver side has a different squeel....something like a lower pitch squeel almost. Any ideas?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
did you bed in the pads? from the first post it reads like you didnt.....
yes.

Originally Posted by project_skyline
If you didn't clean them off since having your old pads on then thats why they squeak. Improper installation will cause squealing. You need to sand the rotors to get rid of the old pad material, half assing the job will result in unfavorable results.

you shouldnt have to sand down your rotors when changing pads. the car is a DD, has had no heavy braking. I have 3000 + miles on new pads, the old material is gone. There was no improper installation, just Sh*t pads that dont fit with or without the adapter plates.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwt...akesqueal.html

Sanding the disks is something you do if you have a rough cut on your rotors after having them turned.

http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.n...t?openDocument

Maybe that will help you out some. Once you put the disc brake quiet on, you have to let it set. I run this on my DS2500's and have no more noise than the stock pads.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
This ^ , or if you still have the factory brake pad shims from the oem pads install those and take off the aftermarket shims. i did that on my pads after the squealed like hell and it all went away. I believe it has something to do with the vibration caused between the back of a break pad where it contacts the pistons and the shims between them.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
This ^ , or if you still have the factory brake pad shims from the oem pads install those and take off the aftermarket shims. i did that on my pads after the squealed like hell and it all went away. I believe it has something to do with the vibration caused between the back of a break pad where it contacts the pistons and the shims between them.
The X pads have an adapter plate so it can fit IX rear pads. The ix and X are very different when it comes to brakes this wont work.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcRS
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gorf/bmwt...akesqueal.html

Sanding the disks is something you do if you have a rough cut on your rotors after having them turned.

http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.n...t?openDocument

Maybe that will help you out some. Once you put the disc brake quiet on, you have to let it set. I run this on my DS2500's and have no more noise than the stock pads.
I used that exact disc brake quiet like i said in my OP, it didnt work.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:29 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I fixed mine by putting the CRC disc brake quiet between the pad shim and the pad, then I cleaned everything and used brake grease between the pad and caliper pistons. Worked well!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

guess i need to do it again ^
Old Jul 1, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I installed the same pads. They were fine for a couple of hundred miles, and then the right rear squealed bad under light braking. It was really annoying. After another few hundred miles it just one day stopped squealing. Not sure why it started or stopped. I too did the bedding when they were first installed.

Quick Reply: GiroDisc NOT SO Magic pads...