Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Retuned Evo IX by Tom at VR-Speed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 05:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Nice job Tom...tune looks good! Cool that you posted the 3d graphs...you don't see that very often...
Thanks man. Ya i like sharing the 3d maps.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just copy and pasted that! People with same mods as op I'm doing tuning! Lmao! Good work Tom! I was looking for this thread since last night and was like where did it go? You keep a good relationship with your clients the way you do you'll be very successful!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
I just copy and pasted that! People with same mods as op I'm doing tuning! Lmao! Good work Tom! I was looking for this thread since last night and was like where did it go? You keep a good relationship with your clients the way you do you'll be very successful!
LOL! Ya I had it moved to this section.

Lots of cars I work with have other issues that need fixed before actual tuning, so I find myself for hours trouble shooting or hunting the forum for xml codes and etc.. i enjoy doing it, so i dont mind going out of my way to assist for other things also

I will spend however long it takes to make the car right.. thats another reason i like doing cars remotely, because i can tell the customer what to do to fix their own vehicle so they are learning at the same time.. same with tuning.. lots of my guys understand more then they did once im done, because i like to share what im changing if I feel they show any interest. (which most guys that seek remote tunes do)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome stuff! Wished many of these great tuners were around town. haha!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

I will add my input to this review as I was very interested in the V7 big maps and their tunability. After doing some research on the forums and especially in the dyno section I contacted TOM for a V7 map. At first I was a little skeptical due to his cheap price, which is less than half than most other remote tuners. At first my car had plenty issues with the conversion but TOM was willing to help no matter how annoying I might have been with the 5 thousand questions I have asked trying to get a better understanding of how the stock ecu works. His maps are incredibly smooth and showed gains from the time I did my first log. One other thing I like is the fact that he tells you exactly what he is doing to the tune and how it will affect it . He doesnt hide anything and treats my car as if it were his. Mad props to VR-Speed
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
LOL! Ya I had it moved to this section.

Lots of cars I work with have other issues that need fixed before actual tuning, so I find myself for hours trouble shooting or hunting the forum for xml codes and etc.. i enjoy doing it, so i dont mind going out of my way to assist for other things also

I will spend however long it takes to make the car right.. thats another reason i like doing cars remotely, because i can tell the customer what to do to fix their own vehicle so they are learning at the same time.. same with tuning.. lots of my guys understand more then they did once im done, because i like to share what im changing if I feel they show any interest. (which most guys that seek remote tunes do)
This is true..
I learned alot from you during the whole process..
Now I started to mess around my own maps..

you did share a lot of info bro...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I will chime in on this thread being Tom is tuning my evo too. It has been kind of a long processs being I did have some issues with my evo and having my turbo going boom. That wasn't his fault I believe it was user error I think. But anyways he and I talk just about every day and I am always asking questions what way i should go with my car. MOST of the time when he isn't busy he will respond and tell me no no no your and idiot do it the right way like this. He is a great guy I am glad I did get set up with him tuning my evo. Right now currently I am waiting on weather to clear some so I can get the car back on the road to get him some logs and further get my car tuned.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Big +1 for Tom's services from me! I wasn't comfortable with my previous tuner's map, and my self-tuning is "meh", but Tom was able to get my car back on track with just 1 map. I will surely deal with him again.

Thanks Tom
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
it will yes. and this is a good example of what i mean by backing my tune up. if you get tuned in cold (20F) and then it is 60F and your AFR is all over the place 1-2 months later, i will fix the afr no cost.

Is this on spool up?or wot? If so how much will it change around? ? That's. Nice promise you give customers not like some other tuners play the how much I'm gonna charge you this time!

Last edited by brakeboost980; Jan 14, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brakeboost980
Is this on spool up?or wot? If so how much will it change around? ? That's. Nice promise you give customers not like some other tuners play the how much I'm gonna charge you this time!
Basically it just means if the customer changes something small and it requires a 5minute touch up in 1 month its free.

Or if the customer needs afr touchup due to weather.. free.

also example like a customer tonight with a built 2.4L that is waiting for his turbo to arrive. he has the stocker on their now and i gave him a free tune just to see how much we could make on 87-91octane + vp methanol injection.

only 26psi and didnt even get to lean it out yet or throw more timing at it at 5K

chart below:

Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

im def hittin you up soon, only reason im waiting is cuz i dont kno if my wife could "handle" instructions (im deployed in afganistan), i've actually contacted you about a tune in November