Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had just had my intercooler kit with the intake installed on thursday at Akuma motorsports, and all i can also say that the fit and finish on this kit is incredible. Also like WARRIORVR38DETT stated when you go WOT the sound of the intake is amazing. The car should have sounded like this from the factory, not to mention the response of the car is much better than before. The power comes in much smoother, and this feels like a completely different car than it was.
I am very impressed with the entire fitment,quality, and driveability of this kit and would recommend this to anyone. Not to mention that John and Dimitri takes the time to answer any questions that you might have about your future plans for the car. Overall my experience with the intercooler kit and Akuma motorsports is that they are second to none, and will be coming back shortly to discuss my build this summer
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aduke05
My setup was on my porch today when I got home. The quality on this kit is exceptional, easily among the best looking aftermarket parts I have seen. The welds look great and the bends are smooth and flowing. The black powdercoating looks very nice too. It looks like some time went into developing this kit. Unfortunately, I won't be able to install the entire setup for a couple of weeks but I might try to get the UICP on tomorrow night. I will also try and get a few pics up in the next day or so.

Also, John and Dimitri from Akuma have been awesome to work with. This is without a doubt the best customer service I have ever experienced, period.
Awesome! Glad you like the kit at first glance. Now get that thing on the car!!!! You will really be happy then.

Anything you need, feel free to give me a call, or write me an email. I'll take care of you!

Originally Posted by wwevoxnj
I had just had my intercooler kit with the intake installed on thursday at Akuma motorsports, and all i can also say that the fit and finish on this kit is incredible. Also like WARRIORVR38DETT stated when you go WOT the sound of the intake is amazing. The car should have sounded like this from the factory, not to mention the response of the car is much better than before. The power comes in much smoother, and this feels like a completely different car than it was.
I am very impressed with the entire fitment,quality, and driveability of this kit and would recommend this to anyone. Not to mention that John and Dimitri takes the time to answer any questions that you might have about your future plans for the car. Overall my experience with the intercooler kit and Akuma motorsports is that they are second to none, and will be coming back shortly to discuss my build this summer
Thanks so much for the write up! We appreciate all your generous comments as they mean a lot to us. We strive to make sure everyone leaves happy so it puts a smile on my face knowing we did that. Post some pictures, we don't have any of yours in this thread! Thanks again, man.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Everyone, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the honest reviews. I am so happy everyone is pleased. I was considering a few items, and hope you guys might chime in.

CURRENT KIT:

4- Intercooler pipes
1- Intake (3" ID)
1- K&N Cone Filter
6- T Bolt Clamps(for lower pipes)...I tested both and the stock hold up to 28PSI
consistently with our design(will be testing 30PSI next week)
1- 3" Zebra clamp(intake)
7- NOMEX Couplers

MSRP: $849
NEXT 12 KITS will be $799. I had to add one weld on the upper pipe to alleviate a mis-communication with the coupler manufacturer. It is now designed to work with the industry standard 3" coupler length.

Would you guys just want a 3.5" intake and no 3" option. I would post the MAF scaling for everyone so it is easy to transcribe into any tuning platform. Then your intake is ready for a Black or bigger. I can offer 3.5" only or 3" and 3.5" as an option. I figured I would see what the community wants.

Thanks again guys, I will follow up shortly.

John
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got the kit John and installing it now. It looks excellent. I did have some artwork include in the box...something to the effect of doug=***** with an arrow and **** and ***** lol.

I would say leave it as 3" and offer a 3.5" option as I think you would find more people opting for the 3" intake.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:16 PM

some crappy phone pics...will remove the oem engine cover soon and powdercoat the valve cover
Attached Thumbnails AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread-akuma-pipes.jpg   AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread-akuma-pipes-2.jpg  
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
Everyone, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the honest reviews. I am so happy everyone is pleased. I was considering a few items, and hope you guys might chime in.

CURRENT KIT:

4- Intercooler pipes
1- Intake (3" ID)
1- K&N Cone Filter
6- T Bolt Clamps(for lower pipes)...I tested both and the stock hold up to 28PSI
consistently with our design(will be testing 30PSI next week)
1- 3" Zebra clamp(intake)
7- NOMEX Couplers

MSRP: $849
NEXT 12 KITS will be $799. I had to add one weld on the upper pipe to alleviate a mis-communication with the coupler manufacturer. It is now designed to work with the industry standard 3" coupler length.

Would you guys just want a 3.5" intake and no 3" option. I would post the MAF scaling for everyone so it is easy to transcribe into any tuning platform. Then your intake is ready for a Black or bigger. I can offer 3.5" only or 3" and 3.5" as an option. I figured I would see what the community wants.

Thanks again guys, I will follow up shortly.

John
Adding that weld should definitely help. I just installed the UICP and another inch or so of coupler would have been great. It took some massaging to get everything lined up and tight. If the coupler in the middle of the upper pipe was an inch longer everything would have been a piece of cake, not that it was too hard anyway.

Also, one more t-bolt clamp is necessary, at least for my car. The stock clamps on the upper come in two sizes and I needed one more large one. I used the zebra clamp for now and it worked fine. Maybe this is specific to the 2010 models?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wwevoxnj
some crappy phone pics...will remove the oem engine cover soon and powdercoat the valve cover
wow that look great i would definetley be interested in a intake
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:16 PM

akuma intercooler kit

Hi everyone

I had my Akuma intercooler kit/intake installed on sunday ,the pipes are great .Very happy with the whole kit ,fill dramatic power increase .The pipes are great quality and power gain are awesome .The Akuma shop is good and service is great .I would recommend this kit ,for the money its a steal how cheap it is.I would also recommend to go there for your tune between the pipes and the tune ,the car is a totally awesome.

Thanks a ton akuma
P.S. check out my garage to see pics
Attached Thumbnails AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread-img_0225.jpg   AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread-img_0227.jpg  

Last edited by jora448206; Apr 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

I am dropping my kit off to get powder coated along with some other items today. Hopefully i'll have the kit on this weekend. I am still waiting on my FP Red and ETS dump before i can drive it and tune it Hopefully I will receive it by Friday of next week. The kit looks nice, quality material, nice smooth bends and light weight. I have a CAI that is the same size (3") and when i get my car running i would like to compare this SRI to my CAI. I think it would be very close. I am just worried about not having a heat shield in the summer heat

Thanks John and Dimitri!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Any of the guys that have their kits already and want the revised upper pipe to alleviate the coupler issue. Please email me or PM to get this sorted before coating. If yours are coated and want this fix, I will re-coat the pipe at no charge to you.

John
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Just got the kit John and installing it now. It looks excellent. I did have some artwork include in the box...something to the effect of doug=***** with an arrow and **** and ***** lol.

I would say leave it as 3" and offer a 3.5" option as I think you would find more people opting for the 3" intake.
George, I greatly apologize for that. I used scrap cardboard we had in the shop to secure the entire inside of the box in the event that we had an Ace Ventura delivery guy. I was worried the pipes, although wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by peanuts, would dent or get scratched in shipping. That "piece of artwork" located on the extra supplied cardboard was never intended to go in your box. My apologizes for not double checking everything before shipping. I assure you, it will never happen again.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Hmmm, I was hoping to get some "limited edition" artwork in my shipment, but it sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up. I thought it might be an Evo version of getting a prize in your breakfast cereal
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
George, I greatly apologize for that. I used scrap cardboard we had in the shop to secure the entire inside of the box in the event that we had an Ace Ventura delivery guy. I was worried the pipes, although wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by peanuts, would dent or get scratched in shipping. That "piece of artwork" located on the extra supplied cardboard was never intended to go in your box. My apologizes for not double checking everything before shipping. I assure you, it will never happen again.

Dimitri@Akuma
Lol not a big deal, i thought it was quite funny, maybe i should frame it and hang it on the garage wall.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scarryy
Hmmm, I was hoping to get some "limited edition" artwork in my shipment, but it sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up. I thought it might be an Evo version of getting a prize in your breakfast cereal
haha that's great! I didn't include any other prizes in the intake pipe boxes.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

We are very pleased to help out Akuma Motorsports with the Beta testing of their new I/C kits. The basic version of the kit (stock BOV) was installed on one of the 2010 SE last week (jora44826) and as you can see by his post he is very happy with his transformed car. The 2nd Kit with the Synapse BOV will be installed shortly on the other 2010 SE and a followup review will be posted soon. The 2nd. kits pipes are wrapped and ready..!!! MPG

Quick Reply: AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread