Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MAPerformance:o2 housing with external gate & dump + Ported hotside

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAPerformance:o2 housing with external gate & dump + Ported hotside

So about a month back, I contacted the wonderful Nate Evans @ MAPerformance, following that, we shot e-mails back and fourth that I wanted a MAP Stainless Steel 38mm MVS O2 Eliminator Downpipe. If i was going to go this route I needed the exhaust DP to be V-band because I have a Buschur V-Band exhaust. I sent him multiple e-mails about what product I wanted built, we were no where NEAR the same page on what I needed built. ANYWHO it always took 2-4 days to receive a response, I wasn't too worried about it. The only thing that got me was along with all the listed prices, I wouldn't have the prices for everything that i wanted. To my disregard I shot him an e-mail again with what I HAD to have, spring and summer coming fast around the corner; waiting another 2-4 days for another e-mail, missing price information for products again. I was finally SICK of dealing with e-mail CRAP. SO i contacted him threw AIM.

While waiting on the order to be calculated for prices, I believe I waited 5-7 days for my final e-mail I believe the 5th one. Personally I was thinking seriously people? I understand I'm one person and you're a business. SO I personally contact Nate Evans on AIM, I fill him in, that hey! You added exactly what I needed in your inventory. Around March 4th, they ended up adding a external dump o2 housing with a external wastegate. This is after I messaged him, waiting for a response for atleast 4-5 hours with no response. While the first time it took him maybe 10 minutes to responded when I contacted him on aim before this occurance. SO I wasn't getting to happy with this circle of mess, I've always believed MAPerformance to be top notch customer service.

On a second note, Nate turned around messaged me after 4-5hours, when I messaged him on aim how disgusted I was with there customer service, to transfer me to someone else that could help me with my needs and my 800$ worth of parts. At this point I'm almost ready to say screw this and go to a different company. But Nate turns around and apologizes about the issues, they are short handed and are really busy. Ok understandable, but no reason they can't take a second to respond, IMHO. Nate now turns around and says, 'hey we are sorry gives me a darn good deal on some parts', that I sure as HELL, couldn't refuse. Only a idiot would turn down the prices that he gave me, I was more then happy. Along with the FREE SHIPPING he added into the deal.

Following that, I turned around sent my order in, the following week sent in my hotside got everything figured out and got everything shipped to me. I've never been happier with my map o2 housing-pro comp gate40 external dump. It's exactly what I'm looking for and it looks SOOOO nice.

BUT! I've never had porting done, but I'm confused on the level of what porting was done on my hotside. I've known BOB@form and function from other perspectives we talked about. I know that hes a GREAT porter and there is nice work to be done by him or anyone that follows. YOU tell me if this is great porting, I'm at a loss of words per-say, to thinking my money went towards something as this?

Explain:
I was having boost creep, knew i needed to get my hotside ported to fix this problem and go external gated.
Only one hotside hole was ported out, big gouge in the one side of my hotside hole that was ported, along with almost a 1/16th of an inch lip on the one side. Take a look tell me what you think?

Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you contacted them about this port work?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting...Not that I do port work but it looks like they slacked on this job...I've purchased other ported products from them over a year ago...Looking forward to a response from MAP...I ordered some headstuds through Nate a couple weeks ago and the transaction was quick...besides that I haven't ordered from them in a while...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

before anything further is discussed, whether porting is adequate or not, people (including myself) chime in on MAP's customer service etc, I would like to know if you contacted them directly or not.

If this is simply a thread to ask about the thoroughness of porting that is fine but names should have been kept out. If you havent contacted them first, this discussion should go no further.

if you have, then ignore me ill shut my damn mouth and look like a fool. regardless gl with you situation brotha hope you get whatever result you are looking for.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well the turbine outlet on the hotside is supposed to have that lip there...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't comment about the porting, The only thing I can say is that it looks like they slacked on that? I am planning on getting my exhaust housing ported as well.
I have almost every other thing ported from them and can't complain at all. It performs amazingly. Many people that have seen their port work have always been amazed and ask who did it.

Where as customer service, I've NEVER had an issue with them EVER. I have always, I repeat Always Dealt with Nate over the phone and have nothing but positive things to say about him. Hell the whole staff is cool and relaxed. I lately have been contacting Adam through pm's because I'm so busy at work that I can't call lol And adam has always been helpful with me as well. Has given me honest answers without the whole gimic of "our stuff is the best buy it now" I may have not received an answer 10 mins after pm'ing him but I understand they are a business and don't have time to be online ALL day to play on the forums.
I would contact them and see if they can do something to fix this. Like stated you will not be disappointed with thier customer service they will bend their back to make you happy and to insure that you will have nothing but good things to say about them in the future.

Edit: Also is that an o2 eliminator downpipe with an external wastegate with a v-band? I thought they said it can't be done to an external dump cause the room issue?

Last edited by _des_; Mar 31, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by _des_
I can't comment about the porting, The only thing I can say is that it looks like they slacked on that? I am planning on getting my exhaust housing ported as well.
I have almost every other thing ported from them and can't complain at all. It performs amazingly. Many people that have seen their port work have always been amazed and ask who did it.

Where as customer service, I've NEVER had an issue with them EVER. I have always, I repeat Always Dealt with Nate over the phone and have nothing but positive things to say about him. Hell the whole staff is cool and relaxed. I lately have been contacting Adam through pm's because I'm so busy at work that I can't call lol And adam has always been helpful with me as well. Has given me honest answers without the whole gimic of "our stuff is the best buy it now" I may have not received an answer 10 mins after pm'ing him but I understand they are a business and don't have time to be online ALL day to play on the forums.
I would contact them and see if they can do something to fix this. Like stated you will not be disappointed with thier customer service they will bend their back to make you happy and to insure that you will have nothing but good things to say about them in the future.

Edit: Also is that an o2 eliminator downpipe with an external wastegate with a v-band? I thought they said it can't be done to an external dump cause the room issue?
they can be, you have to remove the a\c compressor, also NO i haven't contacted map yet, i will be as the day proceeds. In no way shape or form am I bashing there company or staff; I had a problem, it was fixed in a PROFESSIONAL manner IMO. I've talked to Nate personally, I believe hes quite the character. I'll update more when I hear back from them.

Overdraft of what I'm looking for is just reviews on the porting, wanted to share the overall experience to everyone though.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by _des_
That is our o2 housing with external dump, with a connection to the stock downpipe.

Let me know if the issues are not resolved or if you need any other assistance, I'm on the forums and email all day long.

-Adam
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

get a phone 1-888-MAPerformance
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

I think that was probably the "helpers" mistake, not Bobs. If you contact them they will make it right. When I got my Rev 3 it was nowhere near as finished and clean as the stock photos show, but I'm sure it will perform just as well.

Ive spent a ton of money (somewhere around 20k) with MAP over the past year and lately even I've been put on the back burner when it comes to getting things done. It's upsetting to say the least. I wouldn't take it personally, they are super busy. They're probably the busiest vendor on this forum and multiple others.

They will do what it takes to make a customer happy though. It may just take a little bit.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nate and Bob will be responding to the OP shortly, but its no secret that this time of year is by far the busiest for us (our sales in March were nearly twice that of January with similar staffing) and our customer service has unfortunately suffered in some occasions. With that being said we recently added 5 people to our staff (Brian and Daelen in sales, Andrew in fabrication, Erik in shipping, and Dan in cylinder head porting / machining) in an effort to rectify this situation, please bear with us as we continue to adjust to this growth and do not hesitate to reach out to me personally for assistance.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. First off I would like to thank everyone for the kind words...secondly I would like to apologize for any perceived lack of response on my behalf. MAP strives to not only supply the best possible pricing out there, but we ALSO take a serious pride in our very real desire to provide the best customer service in the industry. It is not just an attitude, it is integral to our entire mission statement and it is a fundamental part of the experience we strive to provide for each and every one of our customers.

While I personally feel very strongly that ANY delay or lack of attention to a customer's needs is unacceptable, I would like to humbly say that at the time, this particular design (while now in manufacture and current production) was in fact so new that part of the initial delay was due to the reality that we were initially researching making a completely custom fabricated part, which, required a measure of coordination from my fabrication department and myself for pricing, AND also coordinating the logistics of attempting to designate a vehicle for test fitment. Also, I would like to mention that MAP is not open on the weekends and I believe we had opened the channels of communication as we were going into a weekend. One last point I would like to make is that this part of the year is our very busiest and while we strive to keep up with the pace, it can be difficult to respond as quickly, specially considering what I initially thought was going to be a custom fabricated piece, as I would ideally like myself.

That being said, I am most certainly not attempting to side step any measure of personal responsibility. My personal mission statement is directly in line with that of the companies in that I strive, whole heartedly to provide the best prices, the best customer service in the most timeliest of manners with the most accurate information and professionalism. I make myself available via AIM at NateAtMAP, obviously you can PM me here anytime and I also encourage anyone that is in need to simply shoot me over a phone call: 763.545.3800 and my extension is 114

As for the porting question, I will have Bob, our airflow engineer take a look at these pictures and perhaps he will be able to shed some light on this for you. Thanks again for not only being a valued customer, but also bringing this to my attention! And thanks again for the kind words! We are all car guys here and part of the major benefit from working here is actually being able to participate in whatever capacity in helping others actually achieve their visions for their rides! We love each and every one of them.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Simon,

I apologize for your frustration with the purchase! I can reassure you about the porting though.

The lip you see is there from the stock casting, and will vary in severity from casting to casting (casting shift). We don't touch that area, because the machined portion is where your turbine sits and the tolerances there have to be extremely precise. If we start hacking away at that area we do two things 1) reduce the turbine's efficiency, and 2) because the lip is not all the way around the exducer's bore, we would create an imbalance of flow around the turbine leading to premature bearing failure. Make sense there?

For the WG holes, we generally do some minor shaping inside from the turbo flange into the volute, but we don't generally don't tweak the WG holes. You can see the mark that is left behind from the flapper itself, and because you have to leave some material to have it seal, there would be very little to gain from tweaking it.

I hope that at least puts you at ease and explains where the porting is at. I am sure Nate and Chris will take care of you, and the rest of any questions you may have.

Thanks again for your support!

-Bob
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:13 AM

the whole shop dropped down to say hello, wow lol,

map is amazing
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
We run in a 32 part pack .

Quick Reply: MAPerformance:o2 housing with external gate & dump + Ported hotside