Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

K&N typhoon intake & Agency Power - review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N typhoon intake & Agency Power BOV hose - review

Items reviewed:
K&N typhoon intake and Agency Power BOV silicone hose

Pricing:
intake -10/10. includes one piece uicp. uses stock elbow pipe to intercooler.
bov hose - 7/10. $140 range. a little pricey for a hose. but price justified by quality silicone material instead of flimsy/thinner stock rubber hose.

Installation:
intake - 10/10. took to mechanic. no major issues. straight forward install. uses stock MAF. instructions provided.
bov hose - 10/10. straight forward. no instructions provided or needed. clamps provided.
total time of installation = about an hour.

Summary:
K&N typhoon intake I feel is the best VALUE out there. Price and quality are very good. The aluminum is sturdy and lightweight compared to stock fabric uicp and rubber intake pipe. Engine bay is less cluttered now. Great piece for daily driver. Sounds awesome, much louder than stock. This sound clip on youtube is an accurate depiction of what you expect to hear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cHeiZ_wHE

Slight repositioning of bov hose was done b/c the bov was very close to the uicp. Not a huge concern. As long as you/your mechanic make adjustments so that the bov isn't touching the ucip, you're good.

Aesthetically, the wrinkle red matches the stock red on the engine cover.

And of course, since stock MAF is used, i did not experience "check engine" light after install.
No immediate tuning required.
(She'll be tuned soon though)

Recommend for others: Yes

----------
The Agency power bov silicone hose is a sturdy piece and offers little flex compared to stock thin rubber hose. High quality & multi-layered silicone.
Functionally, it's great; but aesthetically, it's average. I picked up the red version hoping it'll match w/ the k&n piping & engine cover.
But when I compared the colors, Agency Power's red was a much lighter. Almost looked orange compared to the darker wrinkle red which I wanted to achieve.
Spray painting was done for closer color matching. Used Dupli-Color Adhesion promoter + Dupli-color enamel based/high heat spray paint (Engine red).
It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than it was. Used approx. 3-5 coats. But use your own discretion.

Recommend for others: yes, but be cautious if you are trying to color match.

PICTURE TIME!

Here are some basic/raw (non photoshopped) pix for reference.

Before:

After:

Thanks for looking! I'll try to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to ask.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Very helpful review! Where did you purchase the uicp & price?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by dazz
Very helpful review! Where did you purchase the uicp & price?
ebay. "aj_squared08" i believe is the vendor.
certified K&n dealer based in California. very fast shipping in relation to me (vegas). 99.7% positive feedback out of 7000+ reviews. price $285 *used an ebay coupon too cuz that's how I roll*
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:40 PM

Looks Good! Did you powdercoat the stock aluminum elbow piece of the ucip red or did you by an aftermarket uicp elbow?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bigstakk
Looks Good! Did you powdercoat the stock aluminum elbow piece of the ucip red or did you by an aftermarket uicp elbow?
Method:
spray painted.
Materials used:
-Dupli-Color Adhesion promoter first, then Dupli-color enamel based/high heat spray paint (Engine red). Purchased at local auto stores. Follow application directions stated on cans.
-household plastic saran wrap to cover surroundings.
Drying time
Allowed to set & dry for 5+hrs before fully closing the hood shut. Had the hood partially open (unlatched) by stacking layers of cloth towels around the hood latch area. Painted the elbow 3 wks ago. Pic was taken yesterday. Paint's holding up against the desert heat so far.

Last edited by Sol-Good; Jul 15, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

looks good... i like the red accents but i think that this would be a little much for me... i would deff do red hoses for the rad and bov return... and then either polished or black intake and IC pipping