Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AJW Performance / ISC N1 Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AJW Performance / ISC N1 Coilover Review

NOTE: This review is based on my personal impression, nothing more nothing less.

AJW Performance:

Tim was super helpful during the buying process (My coilovers are custom valved with custom spring rates). I always got quick replies from him, and even had a phone conversation or two! AJW is definitely a stand-up shop that I will be doing business with again in the future.

The Car:

Before these coils, I have had K-Sport Kontrol Pro’s and MR struts w/Megan springs on my car. I actually ran the OEM pieces longer than the K-Sports due to the fact that I kept blowing the rear shocks…. So quality was obviously horrible there. That being said, this review may seem subjective, but it will be mostly based off of the OEM/Megan setup. Also, I DO NOT DAILY MY CAR… its driven for pleasure only

About my car (suspension related only):
2010 Evo X
Tanabe Sustec front underbrace

19x10 Advan RZ
Nitto NT05 275-30-19

ISC Coilovers 12/10 spring rate

Specs off of the website:
www.iscsuspension-na.com

"ISC Suspension North America is pleased to provide you with the ISC N1 Coilover, an affordable high performance damper system which offers top of the line performance and quality for an unmatchable price, serving the American and Canadian market.

We offer suspension solutions for various auto manufacturers including BMW, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen, & more!
The ISC Coilover N1 features include:

* 32-Step Adjustable Dampening
* Pillowball Uppermount
* Piston Rod Design
* Sports Springs ( Street Comfort, Street/Sport, Race/Track)
* Ride Height Adjustable
* Aluminum Bracket
* Single Cylinder Design + More

The ISC N1 coilover can transform your vehicle into a nimble, responsive and agile machine. We offer solutions for all types of driving demands from comfortable street driving or sprinted street/ sport, to even aggressive race/track solutions for your vehicle.

The ISC N1 coilover can meet the demands of any driving style, and surpass your expectations of what you thought your car was capable of doing around turns!"

Actual Review:
When I first opened the box I noticed 2 things immediately
1: the rear coilover comes in 2 pieces (didn’t take any pics but should have)
2: the front camber plate on mine was solid black (it didn’t look like the websites photos and had not hash marks for reference during fine tuning)

The Rear:

So Item number 1 is kind of strange. It makes it very difficult, while not impossible, to get the rear level. To tackle this I actually measured from bottom up on the threads and set the lower adjustment ring in place prior to screwing the lower piece on. This is just the method that I used eventhough I am sure that there are others. With that said, this can be a blessing I guess for those that want to ride SUPER low. Just to amuse myself I screwed the lower piece on until the threads were 75% of the way through… the car was literally sitting on the tire with 2 inches of threads left on the coilover!

The Front:

After seeing the camber plates I called Tim and told him my findings. He immediately apologized and said he would get a set like seen in the pictures out to me! I honestly don’t think that it is a huge deal since any alignment shop will do it based on their machines not some hash marks anyway but goes to show the Tim takes customer service seriously!

Now the biggest thing about the front… which honestly doesn’t bother me but may bother others… the hole that the plastic clip for the brakelines inserts into in actually too far forward on my set. While it is still possible to insert the clip into it, its not even close to the same as say a stock strut. I had this problem with my K-Sport’s too though so no big issue for me.

All and All Install:

The install on these is straight forward and just like every other set of coilovers on the market. They come with 2 spanner wrenches and all required hardware. I did add the extenders for the rear which honestly are helpful and are nothing more than BC extenders (still say BC and everything LOL)

Driving impressions:

I won’t try to say that it rides like a dream and if you have 12/10 spring rates and say that your car does I will call you a liar! However, It does exactly what ISC claims they will do… They are a cost-effective set of coilovers with many options for customization to the drivers needs. The car definitely handles better than the megans and its worlds above the k-sports that I had so many issues with! There is actually a very distinct difference between level 1 and level 20 on the dampers until the k-sports as well. All in all for less than $1000 shipped to Hawaii, these coilovers have exceeded my expectations.

These impressions are of the coilovers within the first 100 miles. As stated above I do not daily my car so as I drive the car more I will keep this updated.

The car in question (will be alittle lower once I roll the rear):

and just to show how low they can really go... its on the tires there
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:17 PM

update?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll provide a small review too if you dont mind OP...

My camber plates are cut wrong... multiple times they said they would send me new ones, never got any, and they eventually stopped replying to me. Thankfully Brian at dynotech tuning said he'd get me a set as soon as they got a shipment

As for the ride quality... The specs they gave are INSANE and if you follow the preload, they are stiff as can be... like metal on metal stiff... So after a fewm onths of dealing with this I eventually adjusted them myself and stanced my car a bit more then most evo's. Rides AMAZING now. It is so comfortable and still handles extremely well..

Decent coilover for the money, but not satisfied with the incorrect camber plates Hopefully the new ones will be much better
Old May 2, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Dont like mine .my camber plates are defective(evo8/9) and was told I would have new ones shipped to me, it's been 6 months and still have not received them.

Tried pm'ing ajw again and they stopped responding .
Old May 3, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by analogEvo
Dont like mine .my camber plates are defective(evo8/9) and was told I would have new ones shipped to me, it's been 6 months and still have not received them.

Tried pm'ing ajw again and they stopped responding .
Yes I'm on the same boat as you for the plates, apparently only the eve 8/9's had this issue, PM/Email DynoTech Tuning, they'll hook it up, they said they'd get me a set as soon as they get the new shipment in
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I should have one more set of evo8/9 front camber plates. Pm me I will send them right out.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Note to self, steer far clear of these coils.

Thanks all
Old Dec 17, 2013, 02:44 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ISC is just rebranded Megan Racing/BC/Greddy/FA/ etcetera and should all be pretty similar except spring rates

Last edited by ikt; Dec 17, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ikt
ISC is just rebranded Megan Racing/BC/Greddy/FA/ etcetera and should all be pretty similar except spring rates
any proof?....I here this kind of things of quite often just want to know.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Just a heads up for future buyers. I was told in 2012 i would be shipped the correct camber plates.... that never happened. I spoke directly to ISC NA and 2 vendors on this forum that promised it would be taken care of. Cheap coilovers cheap customer service lol
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:42 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
any proof?....I here this kind of things of quite often just want to know.
well there aren't a lot of coil over manufacturer's out there, pretty much just BC and Stance, and they are made to spec for different vendors. That's very normal in the auto parts industry
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:29 AM

Just a heads up for future buyers. I was told in 2012 i would be shipped the correct camber plates.... that never happened. I spoke directly to ISC NA and 2 vendors on this forum that promised it would be taken care of. Cheap coilovers cheap customer service lol
Hello, I know that this is probably 2-3 years late but did you ever receive the correct items?

As far as ISC's being the same as BC's and Megan's etc, they are simply not. ISC Suspension is it's own brand. Similar products but completely different companies. If you have ever seen the internals of the coilovers then you would know that not all are created the same.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by allen@isc
Hello, I know that this is probably 2-3 years late but did you ever receive the correct items?

As far as ISC's being the same as BC's and Megan's etc, they are simply not. ISC Suspension is it's own brand. Similar products but completely different companies. If you have ever seen the internals of the coilovers then you would know that not all are created the same.
Nope never got the correct parts.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 07:20 AM

Nope never got the correct parts.
I know it's a long shot but if you do still have them I'd be happy to help you get setup. If not, then please accept my apologies for the error.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by allen@isc
I know it's a long shot but if you do still have them I'd be happy to help you get setup. If not, then please accept my apologies for the error.
Allen, I bought these monday and they got here yesterday. I am hoping everything is ok with these. Have not opened box yet and am drinking coffee waking up getting ready for install. I am also installing rear camber arms since I am riding on 18x10.5" wheels. Will get back after install.

Quick Reply: AJW Performance / ISC N1 Coilover Review