Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Carbonetics Pro Blade for evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by popinadam
Where can one buy these, asap? I'm in need of a replacement clutch/flywheel.

MAPerformance. My clutch gets better and better btw. Just waiting for a few miles before another update.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can chime in as well, I drove Deeman's car while had about 3-4k on the clutch, and I've been using an Exedy Stage 1 for the last 40k miles. The Carbonetic (and quite possibly the shep trans and front engine mount bushing combo) made for one of the most beautiful shifting car's I've driven, S2k included.

Much smoother on slow takeoff and slipping 1st than with my only slightly upgraded over stock Exedy.

I will be looking to pick one of these up.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Literally EVERYONE I have sold one to has had NOTHING but good things to say about the setup! Thanks for keeping this alive!

Nate at MAPerformance
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fasterbater
I can chime in as well, I drove Deeman's car while had about 3-4k on the clutch, and I've been using an Exedy Stage 1 for the last 40k miles. The Carbonetic (and quite possibly the shep trans and front engine mount bushing combo) made for one of the most beautiful shifting car's I've driven, S2k included.

Much smoother on slow takeoff and slipping 1st than with my only slightly upgraded over stock Exedy.

I will be looking to pick one of these up.
Just spreading the love man . Btw that lack of bucking on take off and low speed, driveability, etc. is more because of the rear diff bushings.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Bad news. I was testing the launch on a quiet road. Last night I was at a drag strap and did one run rolling out, and another run launching but bogging hard. This time I tried to slip the clutch to keep it from bogging and the clutch slipped too much, so I dumped it but it still slipped to redline. I probably should've done the warm up procedure. Anyways I got off the gas and put it in neutral, but then I couldn't get it into any gear (1st,2nd,3rd,etc.). I shut off the car and I could row through the gears no problem, but I start my car and I can't get it into any gear. The car tries to creep forward. I'm pretty sure my clutch is not disengaging when I press on the pedal.

Like Curt says I don't think this clutch should be used for drag racing.

EDIT: I had my friend push in the clutch as I watched the slave/contraption in the engine bay. It moves fine. My slave didn't fail or anything like that.

EDIT2: From carbonetics operating manual:
Drag racing is very tough to the clutch. In order to minimize the impact, please perform a warm up for the discs. Maintain
half clutch 3 seconds at around 2,000 rpm, and rest 20 to 30 seconds. Repeat the process 5 to 10 times. Do not engage half
clutch for more than 0.5 seconds and do not use higher rpm . It will produce too much heat and damage the clutch.
So I didn't warm it up and I slipped for more than 0.5s. Expensive lesson to learn. This is definitely no organic clutch.

Last edited by deeman101; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
Bad news. I was testing the launch on a quiet road. Last night Iwas at a drag strap and did one run rolling out, and another run launching but bogging hard. This time I tried to slip the clutch to keep it from bogging and the clutch slipped too much, so I dumped it but it still slipped to redline. I probably should've done the warm up procedure. Anyways I got off the gas and put it in neutral, but then I couldn't get it into any gear (1st,2nd,3rd,etc.). I shut off the car and I could row through the gears no problem, but I start my car and I can't get it into any gear. The car tries to creep forward. I'm pretty sure my clutch is not disengaging when I press on the pedal.

Like Curt says I don't think this clutch should be used for drag racing.

EDIT: I had my friend push in the clutch as I watched the slave/contraption in the engine bay. It moves fine. My slave didn't fail or anything like that.

EDIT2: From carbonetics operating manual:

So I didn't warm it up and I slipped for more than 0.5s. Expensive lesson to learn. This is definitely no organic clutch.
Did you manage to weld your clutch and flywheel together? Your description sounds just like what happened to me a month or two ago. (works clutch + flywheel combo)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by popinadam
Did you manage to weld your clutch and flywheel together? Your description sounds just like what happened to me a month or two ago. (works clutch + flywheel combo)
It'd be pretty insane if I did. This is a carbon clutch. Carbonetics says this:
*Superb heat resistance to withstand extreme racing requirements

ACROSS successfully raised the C/C melting point by over 1,000 degrees centigrade
Prevents fusion with surrounding metal parts
No distortion of the carbon disk
If its fused I'm SOL and will be ditching this clutch in favour of something else. If I can get away with just replacing the disc then I'll keep it. Either way it was pretty unforgiving of just one bad launch (and one of 2 ever done). I guess you really can't mess around with carbon clutches.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Dude u saved me lots of $$$$. I just finished my break in and was about to Start launching at any time now... I already had my clutch masters weld itself together so I know that's what happened to yours. Can't have that again .
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice review! btw IS THAT SNOW OUTSIDE!?!?!?!?

Mikey
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmoothCTR
Dude u saved me lots of $$$$. I just finished my break in and was about to Start launching at any time now... I already had my clutch masters weld itself together so I know that's what happened to yours. Can't have that again .
Lol, well your welcome. And enjoy your clutch.

Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
Nice review! btw IS THAT SNOW OUTSIDE!?!?!?!?

Mikey
Yup! Here in Canada we tend to get a fair amount of it. There aren't many places in the world where an awd evo with snow tires can get stuck:

Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

hahaha jesus. I used to go to Canada all the time for NATO exercises but usually only in June-August time frame. That is a sweet pic, now desktop photo

Mikey
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

So I got some more interesting info on this clutch. Heres the weight between a fully dressed exedy twin SD and the carbonetics problade. Both are half way through their life so they'll weigh a little more when brand new.

Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Can you check the actual flywheel weight between the two? I expect that is where most the weight comes from as the exedy doesn't have an extremely light flywheel. Thanks

Mikey
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yup you're right Mikey. The carbonetics flywheel feels like it weighs almost nothing. I'll have to wait until a weekday to check the exact weights though.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

This is my flywheel:

Has seen better days! Remember this is after 10k miles (admittedly half of it was inner-city stop/go), and 2 launches (one was basically a full bog). And I'm not really that much of a noob at launching. I've successfully launched 40+ times on my stock clutch and ACT HDSS and cut 1.8x 60' (340 treadwear tires) usually.

The clutch disc itself doesn't look terrible. Although it was pretty difficult to detach from the flywheel. Its down to 7.00mm instead of the 7.90mm a brand new clutch disc measures. The pressure plate is in similar shape to the flywheel.

On better news once some OEM parts come in on wednesday my competition clutch HD will be ready to put in! That pressure plate and disc weighs something like 12 to 15lbs according to my friend's terrible scale. And I'll be using a stock flywheel.

Last edited by deeman101; Apr 30, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbonetics Pro Blade for evo VIII