Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tomei Expreme Ti (Evo X) Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomei Expreme Ti (Evo X) Review

This is my review on the Tomei Expreme Titanium exhaust. I will be getting into the history of my Evo X, Quality of the exhaust, the installation process and the overall opinion of the exhaust.

History of my Evo X.
My evo is a daily driver and I do have a 3 yr old son. So that being said, I had to find something that issounds good when i push it, relaible, confortable for long drives and not too loud that can annoying and dangerous for my sons hearing.

Ive had the following exhausts on my pursuit for the sound that I wanted:

HKS Legamax- stock like sound, heavy compared to aftermarket exhaust due to the large muffler. NOT full 3 ".

Ultimate Racing Dual- after being bored with the HKS I went on a limb on got the UR dual. One word-LOUD!!!!! it vibrated my interior at every rev besides idle. Not what i wanted.

T1R- after getting annoyed with the UR i got the T1R. At first i had it on with the corresponding resonated test pipe and it was as quiet as the HKS but it was a full 3" exhaust. Then I tried with a Depot test pipe. It got a little louder but not much. It got louder mostly beyong the 4k rpm mark and intial idle.

And now the Tomei Expreme Ti

I was comtiplating getting this exhaust for a while but I was worried about the noise level since I had a not so great experience with the UR catback.
But after watching many Youtube videos, reviews and build threads I knew that I wanted something different and Lightweight. So it was either the Tomei or Litespec. I contaced a bunch of vendors and called around to see what where the best prices. The drop of the Tomei prices greatly influenced me to pick the tomei. I can honestly say that if the Tomei was still at the $1200 price range, I would of picked the Litespec because I cant seem to justify spending that much for a dd exhaust. I got the Tomei through MAPerformance, they are great like always and have been buying most of my parts through them since they have great customer service and fast shipping.

And now the fun part. Opening the box!!! Yay!!!

The Midpipe had to barely weigh a pound, no joke!!

The welds look amazing, I wish i had better lighting

the best part, the stickers and manual. haha

This is the best part, Never seen real burt Titatium before and it broke my cherry!!

Overall I am very pleased on th eway Tomei packages their products and includes all the hardware in sealed plastic pockets taped to cardboard. And all the Titanium pieces are wrapped in bubble wrap and well protected.

The install was easy except for one thing........ It did not come with nuts for the M12 bolts. They expect you to use the stock nuts with the provided bolts. And these are hard to find in a short notice. These are Grade 8 M12 fine thread. All I found at 9 pm at home depot was M12 coarse thread. WTF!!! so I used the set I had from my T1R.
I loosely assembled the exhaust before i tried to install it on the car. That way I can easily put on the tension springs and get familiar with the orientation of the tip.
After I got the midpipe loosly installed I started on the rear. making sure that the Tomei logo is facing down on the muffler. Also there are little markers on the midpipe and secondary pipe to indicate which way is up. Make sure you pay attention to that when assembling. Other than the nut issue it went really smooth. Proximate time installing 20 min after removing the previous exhaust.
End result

Overall I think this is an amazing exhaust. really light and very visually attractive.
The sound is perfect in my opinion. I currently have a Depot test pipe, and the Tomei and it is relitively quiet compared the the UR. when cruising or >30% throttle is very quiet and rumbly. I even took it on the Highway, and it is almost as quiet as my T1R going 70 mph cruising on the highway. No where even close to the constant noise level of my old UR.
Anything after 30% throttle it starts to get loud and vicous sounding. Which I expected and wanted. I am very tame and conservitive when driving my son and Now that I help buy my GF an Outlander sport, we take that car for running errands just because of gas and space!!!! Winning!!!

I will try to update this thread with more and better pics when I get a chance, Also with a couple videos i shot to help out anyone considering this exhaust.

thanks for reading!

Last edited by RevLimiter; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Nice pick up, I also have the T1R and am thinking if I should upgrade to something louder and lighter.

I still want a dual Ti exhaust though..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:54 AM

Great review! got me thinking about switching from legamax to tomei
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:51 PM

TF Evo X Dual - Pro Titanium Exhaust would be your choice then. I am saving money for that bad boy too...

Originally Posted by linjy2
Nice pick up, I also have the T1R and am thinking if I should upgrade to something louder and lighter.

I still want a dual Ti exhaust though..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only it was dual
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alpha X
If only it was dual

then it would be heavier and more restrictive...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:18 PM

good chioce... but somehow i think single exhaust is kinda riceyyyyy... for evo x..
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EVOTK0320
good chioce... but somehow i think single exhaust is kinda riceyyyyy... for evo x..
honestly i think having a dual exit exhaust is ricey for any 4 cylinder, oem or not. nice pick up OP, glad you like it
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

even if it looked ricey to me, now that i heard it form inside and out side the car, I would still get it. Everyone is either a dual or single exit person but i like both. I just wanted something that sounded good to me. It took me 4 exhaust to find the one I liked but Im happyand im staisfied with the sound.

ps. This exhaust is not that loud. I know the sound is relative to each person but compared to the UR i would say its the same level at WOT but with a different tone. Which makes it sound better to me, and reving up to 3.5k rpm its not loud, you hear it but it still quiet enough to hold a conversation inside. and when cruising or idleing, its as quiet or a tad bit louder than my T1R. once again its my opinion but deffinately hear one in person to see for yourselves.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotap
honestly i think having a dual exit exhaust is ricey for any 4 cylinder, oem or not. nice pick up OP, glad you like it
I have nothing bad to say about the peeps that like dual exhaust, but I'm all for 1 exhaust for 4cyl. Just fits. In fact I like single exhaust for I6 cars like the Supra and Skyline.

I'm planning on going single-exit and putting a tow hook on the driver's side

I do find the quad tips on the newer STi to be obnoxious, and I have a pet peeve about any exhaust that has a tip over the exhaust that's big enough to see the smaller exhaust pipe inside of the tip..like the OE X exhaust, if you look carefully. But the Charger, Challenger, etc are the worst for that.

..and while I'm ranting on how exhaust looks. Freakin' GM diesel trucks that have that tip that gets gradually bigger like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon or cartoon of the Pilgrims around Thanksgiving time -__- stereotype imagery FTL
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

what downpipe do you have??
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:37 PM

Great review excited to hear a good video.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eclipsegsx012
what downpipe do you have??
Stock Down pipe
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:55 AM

Nice
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

so when you rev it, it really screams right?

i have a t1r but thinking to upgrade if it's not too bad.

Originally Posted by RevLimiter
even if it looked ricey to me, now that i heard it form inside and out side the car, I would still get it. Everyone is either a dual or single exit person but i like both. I just wanted something that sounded good to me. It took me 4 exhaust to find the one I liked but Im happyand im staisfied with the sound.

ps. This exhaust is not that loud. I know the sound is relative to each person but compared to the UR i would say its the same level at WOT but with a different tone. Which makes it sound better to me, and reving up to 3.5k rpm its not loud, you hear it but it still quiet enough to hold a conversation inside. and when cruising or idleing, its as quiet or a tad bit louder than my T1R. once again its my opinion but deffinately hear one in person to see for yourselves.

Quick Reply: Tomei Expreme Ti (Evo X) Review