Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Binary Seat Lowering Brackets - Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binary Seat Lowering Brackets - Review

I’ve had a chance to see, sample, and talk to people about many parts that are available for the Evo VIIIs and IXs. I’ve had the opportunity to find out about many positive and negative things regarding some of the modifications that are available for our cars. There was one that piqued my interest the second I heard about them. Binary’s seat lowering brackets struck me as something that could be very worthwhile. I’ve never thought the Evo seats were particularly high; in fact, the seats and seating position were some of the things that helped me choose to purchase an Evo IX for my personal daily driver, but as with anything, there is room for improvement.

When I finally had a chance to sit in a seat that had these brackets installed (client’s car), I was sold immediately. I knew I had to have a set for myself.

Installation of these brackets is quite simple. There is a good write up on this site that covers everything you need, so I won’t cover it again. I took some before and after measurements of my seat. The front of the seat stock was 10 ½ inches and after the Binary brackets were installed, that was dropped to 9 inches. Headroom improved from a stock 39 inches to 40 3/8 inches, a noteworthy improvement for sure.

Now that I’ve had a few weeks of seat time (no track time yet, it’s winter doncha’ know), the improvement in driving position was more significant than I had originally thought. I truly feel like I’m part of the car now. You really do feel that you’re sitting down “in” the car. The lower seat height also allows for more of a horizontal line with your forearm when shifting, with a more accurate push/pull action on the shift lever, which helps provide more accurate shifts. This seating position improvement also gives you more confidence in the car because it helps you to feel what the car is doing (I’m sure there’s no real technical explanation for this, but it’s what my experience has been). Even though I’m mostly torso on my 6’2” frame, I didn’t have any issues with headroom in my car with the stock seat mounts, even with my helmet on, so headroom wasn’t the primary goal I had in mind with these brackets. Obviously headroom IS improved and for someone who is taller than me. That alone would be worth the small investment and time put in so that your hair doesn’t rub against the headliner.

Some of the small “perks” of having these installed is that the arm rest on the door actually works as an arm rest now. I’ve always felt they were too low to really be comfortably used. Also, sightlines for my gauges (I have a 42DD 1-Din bezel above the HVAC controls) is better, especially in regards to glare off of the glass on the gauge faces.

I only really have two small nit-picks in regards to having these installed. First, getting in and out is a tiny bit more cumbersome due to the seat being lower to the ground. Second, during lane changes, it’s a touch more difficult to see the blind spots… not really sure why, it just is.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with the Binary seat brackets. I recommend them to many people who come into the shop. Also, to anyone who stops by CBRD, don’t forget to ask me to show them to you and have you sit in the seat. I’m sure you’ll be as impressed as I was. They are well made, easy to install, and most of all, they improve the experience of driving. And isn’t that what owning an Evo is all about?

Obligitory Pics (not really install pics as those have been covered already)

Seat Height Before Install

Seat Height After Install

While the seat is out, take the opportunity to really clean the carpet under the seat.

FAIL

WIN

This picture is a little difficult to make out, but it's a composite of the before and after with me in the seat. It's not perfect, as I had to move the camera for the install, but it does illustrate the difference in height.

Feel free to contact Jared (jid2 on this site) at Binary for these great brackets. You surely won't be dissappointed.

http://www.binaryeng.com/products%20...0brackets.html

Thread with the installation steps.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-brackets.html

Caleb

Last edited by CBRD_Caleb; Mar 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm really thinking about getting a set of these. One of my largest complaints about the Evo coming from my previous S2000 is that I feel like I'm riding "on" it rather than "in" it.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

These will def. cure that feeling. I get into a stock one and feel like I'm driving a monster truck. LOL!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

You really can not understand how great this product is until you sit in the car for yourself. Great product and a great guy!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

That is a really big boy! J/K

I need to get myself a set of these pronto!

-E
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

watch it buster.. i'm workin out and losing weight! LOL!!!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

Wow, nice review. At 6'-2, I feel kinda cramped. I'm sold.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for supporting a local NW vendor Caleb!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 04:15 PM

i am 6'4'' and this is a must have mod for tall drivers. does not feel like my 04 s2k but much better.

c
Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These brackets certainly are a fantastic upgrade for our clients..

I prefer them to get a lower line of site in the car, even for someone my size (im 5'8")... and i prefer to sit low especially because of my formula car/open wheel racing background...

after analyzing what we thought would be a good raffle item for our dyno day, we chose these..... knowing it's a product any of our clients would enjoy...

Cheers and bump for a great evo product.

cb
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
These brackets certainly are a fantastic upgrade for our clients..

I prefer them to get a lower line of site in the car, even for someone my size (im 5'8")... and i prefer to sit low especially because of my formula car/open wheel racing background...

after analyzing what we thought would be a good raffle item for our dyno day, we chose these..... knowing it's a product any of our clients would enjoy...

Cheers and bump for a great evo product.

cb
Whoever wins that raffle item will be super siked!!!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool thread! I have been contemplating buying these for the driver side. I had heard good things about them but after your post and pictures I'm sold haha. Hopefully I can pick a set up in the next week or two

Don
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I have it and it was the best purchase I have made for the Evo, period. You may have to do a little bending to the adjuster bar if you put the seat in the middle positions, but I did it by eyeball with my hands and got it right the first time.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:27 PM

i might have to look into these looks like a great product
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

great mod, I love mine.

Quick Reply: Binary Seat Lowering Brackets - Review