Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Ripped off by TRS The retrofit source, Ended up Donating $170 to them. Avoid Morimoto

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ripped off by TRS The retrofit source, Ended up Donating $170 to them. Avoid Morimoto

Long Story Short:

November 14th 2013: Order Placed for Morimoto Elite Kit & XB35 Bulbs:

Order Number: 64376
Detailed Invoice: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...order_id=64376
Available Installation Guides: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/install_guides.php
Date Ordered: Thursday November 14, 2013

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x 9006: Morimoto Elite HID System (Elite9006) = $170.00
Wire Harness Type Heavy Duty Relay
Wire Harness 9006
Kelvin 4300K
Bulb Spec XB35
Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
------------------------------------------------------
Coupon TRS/HIDP: -$0.00
Sub-Total: $170.00
Free Standard Shipping: $0.00, re
Total: $170.00

17th of November 2013: Order Recieved.

28th of November Thanksgiving Weekend: Installed Product

Ballasts keep Blinking Off or Misfire, Switched to using direct Power from the supplied Harness and Battery, Re- Grounded all the wires, Issue persists.

Watch Video Below - Part 1.

December 2nd 2013: Sent an email / complained of the issue to TRS

[B][U]December 4th 2013: TRS Admits the problem and sends me the following Email

Thank you for your email and patience waiting on a response here. We are sorry to hear about your issue. Admittedly since the weathers turned cold, we've had a small handful of customers’ report a similar issue and it appears to be plaguing about 10% of newer Morimoto ballasts. Though the ballasts have been built just the same way since late April, we've only encountered the issue recently.

Over the past several weeks we have been working non stop to study and correct the issue and have concluded on two necessary changes for the ballasts:

1) If you're experiencing a mis-firing bulb: We found that the magnetic core used in the igniter sometimes won't put out the necessary 16KV to create a strong enough arc, especially when cold.

Solution: The new standard igniter will be capable of producing up to 20,000 Volts. Rather than going with an externally mounted igniter because the existing ballast shell is too thin, we have opted to increase the ballast's thickness by 2mm to accommodate the massive igniter. It's like putting a V8 in place of a V6.

2) If you're experiencing a slight "flicker" - this is because the reaction time of the ballasts circuit board isn't fast enough to keep pace with the instability in the arc inside your HID bulbs.

Solution: We are replacing the current IC-Chip with a more advanced ASIC-DSP circuit that reads and adjusts output much faster and more efficiently. This will eliminate any chance of flickering. Kind of like replacing a computer that's a couple years old with a brand new one.

Replacements: A new batch of ballasts is already in production with these upgrades implemented. Though in most cases the problem is not affecting both sides of the car, we believe customers who are affected by this problem should be upgraded with a brand new PAIR of ballasts (rather than just one). Because the new ballast will out-perform the current ones in virtually every way - it only makes sense to supply all affected individuals with a brand new set.

The new ballasts are scheduled to arrive shortly after December 10th, so there will be a bit of a wait, but not too long. We understand this is a temporary inconvenience and we cannot thank you enough for your patience and understanding while we work things out.

Please reply back with confirmation that you've received our response. We'll have you added to the waiting list to be notified as soon as the new parts are in stock and ready to ship out for you. At that point we will provide a few options to get the new ballasts to you at no cost.

Thanks again,

The TRS Team

December 23rd 2013: TRS Finally sends me the replacements Guess what Exact same Problem, Tried different grounding points again... issue persisted. Also sent a complaint to TRS.

December 26th 2013: Response from TRS

Thanks for your email and for your explanation of whats going on. We actually had a customer here in Atlanta who had the same exact issue after we got him the new ballasts - we spent a bit of time trouble shooting with him and basically found that his old ballasts just ruined the bulbs prematurely due to all the misfires. A mis-fire here and there normally won't cause any issues, but for people who had to deal with the issue for a while I can see how that would cause the bulbs to go bad way early. We replaced his bulbs on the spot with a fresh set and everything worked flawless from there.

So the long story short: we need to get you brand new bulbs and everything will work once and for all. I apologize for not being able to forecast this sooner, but again, this is the first time we've ever dealt with a widespread issue like this so we're doing the best we can to help everybody through it one by one. Most people affected by the recall reported back with success, but I am sorry you're still having lingering issues.

I'll put in the request for new bulbs now for you, just send pics of those with cut-cords along with your ballasts once everything is finally up and running perfectly too.

Again, my apologies for the trouble.

January 15th 2014: Finally got the time to swap in new bulbs, the Weather was brutal Guess Again same again problem. This was my 4th time ripping off the bumper to get to the headlamps, Im sick of doing this

Watch Video Below

I Send and Email Demanding a Refund and Get the following Response 2 days later

Really strange, but in any case - we understand and we're very sorry it hasn't worked properly for you.

Please do send the parts back to us with the form found below, and we will issue you a full refund.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ski...anges_Form.pdf

If there is something you are interested in the future, please let us know and we'll be glad to offer a discount given the hassle.

Our apologies Zeb,

Matt @ TRS

March 15th 2014: Parts are returned to TRS, im actually nice enough to package up the Two Pairs of Ballasts and Bulbs, I could have thrown one set but did not and actually paid shipping out of pocket to return two kits back to them

March 27th 2014: Get the following email from TRS now i know im screwed

We have received your items that you returned back to us. Ruben, the head of quality control inspected the items and are all indeed working correctly. Each item functions properly. I will let you know that we are going to send these items back to you as these items are fully functional and awaiting your response on shipping address.

Please let us know if we can assist you further!

Thank you,

Carlos at TRS

I told them about the email from Matt Kossoff promising a Full refund, i dont get a response back.

April 17th 2014: I call them back demanding a refund on the phone, I'm told the president Matt Kossoff will call me back to explain

Ok something isn't right here but whatever.

April 17th 2014: I get the following response from the President Matt Kossoff

Hi Zeb

Carlos brought this over to my attention today - I definitely want to find a way to get you taken care of here, but there is a slight issue in that when I said it would be no problem to return the kit, we were within the return period from when you originally ordered it, that was back in January. Since we did not receive the kit until the end of March, our ability to physically issue the refund has passed due to the date of the original transaction being too far in the past.

At this point, I can issue a check for the refund less 10% or a store credit for the full amount, would either of those be acceptable?

Thank you,

Matt

All of a Sudden Matt now wants me to pay for his Lunch! by jipping me for 10% which is roughly $17, wow really after all this

I am now Pissed and Send them the Following Email as my Final Response:

Hi Matt, thanks for the Reply.

Just to let you know I bought the Kit around thanksgiving then waited till December to receive the updated ballasts, then waited some more to get the bulb. I complained on Jan 17 and that’s when the return was authorized.

I installed these on my car over 4 times in different configs. On an EVO IX I have to remove the Entire Bumper Assembly to Do this. I spent the Extra money on a TRS Kit so I wouldn’t have to keep doing this over and over again. And guess what I had to.

I could have easily gone with a DDM kit or a Cheap knockoff from ebay, but I choose TRS, I thought I was getting a Quality Product.

I could have Kept the Extra RMA set. But I was honest and paid the EXTRA SHIPPING to get the two kits over to you for better quality control.

Hey if you guys need the money that bad you don’t need to screw me over for the 10% you can keep the entire 100 some bucks as dontation from me.

Good luck with your business.

I Hope you guys read this before ordering anything from them. I should have listened to the other posters and bought a cheap kit from DDM.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow. I've never heard of these guys, but I have had my ddm 35w 10k kit on my car for 3 years, and I drive to work at 4 am everyday. for 35 bucks, it was a no brainer to go with ddm. but I wasn't expecting the quality of the kit to be so good. I hope you get it taken care of. as a sidenote, the ddm kit required that you plug the connectors backwards for reverse polarity or something like that. do you have to do it on this kit? might be something to try at any rate if they ship the same ones back to you. good luck.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I had ddm (junk) and now have Morimoto from TRS. Sorry you had bad luck, but mine have been awesome.

Since they aren't a site vendor here, I don't have any help to offer. That said, I think you're overreacting quite a bit telling them to keep the full amount and just not cutting your losses with $17. I'd like to know how they responded to your last email.