Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Arashi billet BALL BEARING TD06HR 25g 6+6 stock location review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 06:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Its a good idea in theory but I would prefer to stick to flat mating surfaces sealed by a gasket. Numerous advantages when compared to an o-ring version. Why hasn't any aftermarket us company made bigger j-pipes? I find that to be an oversight.
What are said advantages? Numerous OE's use o-ring seals in lots of intake tract connections nowadays.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Its a good idea in theory but I would prefer to stick to flat mating surfaces sealed by a gasket. Numerous advantages when compared to an o-ring version. Why hasn't any aftermarket us company made bigger j-pipes? I find that to be an oversight.
An oring version would seal better than a gasket. There are a few out there, i'm guessing that there aren't any significant gains for the majority of stock frame turbo users so not many companies make them.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sub’d interested to see what how this turbo performs.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
An oring version would seal better than a gasket. There are a few out there, i'm guessing that there aren't any significant gains for the majority of stock frame turbo users so not many companies make them.
The advantage of the OEM design is that its easier to restock and easy to reproduce. It takes a waterjet or similar tool a couple minutes to cut out the flange and an even faster time to cut out a steel gasket. Factor in making a 1000s of these and you can see why the OEM chose to go this route. Production time is money.

An o-ring seals better but given the track record for swapping out o-ringed parts on an Evo I would rather deal with a flat metal gasket than deal with an o-ring.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru

The advantage of the OEM design is that its easier to restock and easy to reproduce. It takes a waterjet or similar tool a couple minutes to cut out the flange and an even faster time to cut out a steel gasket. Factor in making a 1000s of these and you can see why the OEM chose to go this route. Production time is money.

An o-ring seals better but given the track record for swapping out o-ringed parts on an Evo I would rather deal with a flat metal gasket than deal with an o-ring.
We're not talking OE production. And cost on something like this in the aftermarket is pretty moot considering how small it is. I'm an engineer for an OE, I deal with pricing in part design all the time so I'm very well aware of why Mitsu did what they did but aftermarket isn't the same.

You can buy a bag of 10 o rings for the price of one gasket and you get better sealing, plus you never have to line a gasket up. It's not a big deal but I know what I'd rather have.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Getting closer and closer. Got the valve cover back from a powder coater. iPhone pics suck.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Well this is what it looks like bolted to a forced performance manifold. Waiting for a friend to touch up the beads on my intercooler piping and then going in!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Turbo is finally installed, sorry for taking forever but priorities are priorities. I haven’t done any pulls yet but so far you can definitely tell there is a little more lag but that is to be expected and it’s honestly not that bad. Tomorrow I’ll try and get on making a basemap and maybe start tuning.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Ayyyyy mbc gang
Old Mar 13, 2019, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Ayyyyy mbc gang
lol yeah, hallman pro. Been treating me well so far so sticking wit it. Grimmspeed 3 port is nice too tho.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well so far I’m impressed! Currently at 23psi and I’m scared to turn it up lol, feels like something is gonna break, it pulls very good. As I turned up the boost response got better, and honestly lag isn’t that bad, i have to look at the logs but i believe full boost was around 4700 rpm but i haven’t really done fine tuning to try to get it to spool faster.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Well this is only my 3rd revision but you get an idea of the results @ 26psi and 92 octane chevron.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
@SnailSpeed looks pretty good. How is transient response between gears compared to stock?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Doesn't look too shabby but definitely time to work on that spool.

Quick Reply: Arashi billet BALL BEARING TD06HR 25g 6+6 stock location review