Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

272i/272e cams & boost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 272i/272e cams & boost

Folks,

I had the 272i/272e combination installed over last week, drove to Arkansas and back again (D/FW -- babied it all the way) and this morning had the beast out on an open road. It had been 750 miles since the install (did headgasket and headstuds at the same time) so I went WOT ... disappointment sets in. I was only pulling about 10.5 lbs of boost.

I have not loaded a new XEDE map as of yet but will do so this afternoon. I'm running on an empty map bank, so basically stock ECU.

Is this drop in boost attributable to the cams running on the stock ECU ?

I've got to do a little real work this morning, and will be popping the hood and checking things out later this morning, just looking for any advice that all y'all might have.

thanks,
dave
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the light on the xede green when thi happened? Sometimes the map fails to load when you start the car and you will see only 10psi. Restarting the car usually fixes this. To have the load map problem fixed you need to send in the xede and get the faulty resistor removed.

Last edited by Jorge T; Dec 27, 2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jorge T
Was the light on the wede green when thi happened? Sometimes the map fails to load when you start the car and you will see only 10psi. Restarting the car usually fixes this. To have the load map problem fixed you need to send in the xede and get the faulty resistor removed.
Jorge,

Thanks for the quick response, no the light was that green-orange, the XEDE was set to the second bank which is currently empty.

I'm heading out to my garage now to load the stage 1 264/272 map (as recommended previously by Vishnu ...)

-- dave
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Most Xedes get to me all set at "0's"....you will need to load the right map from the internet to get the results you are looking for.....
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

agreed...load the map then tell us how it runs...either that or disconnect the XEDE completely...that way you can rule out that its the XEDE and has something to do with the cam/head gasket install
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOtagger
agreed...load the map then tell us how it runs...either that or disconnect the XEDE completely...that way you can rule out that its the XEDE and has something to do with the cam/head gasket install
Map has been loaded, boost is back to normal ... learn something new everyday.

-- dave
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

glad thats what it was and not something more complicated...ill be installing cams soon and i'm trying to research all the problems people have had so I will know what to look out for if/when something goes wrong...

hows it feel now?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EVOtagger
glad thats what it was and not something more complicated...ill be installing cams soon and i'm trying to research all the problems people have had so I will know what to look out for if/when something goes wrong...

hows it feel now?
The car has a nice vibe to it; several people have commented on it. I drove it into Dallas yesterday; highway mileage seems to be up just a bit, but I'll need to burn a few more tanks to verify.

The idle is a bit lobey (lets not start with the "lobey idle in a four cylinder is gay" schtick peeps) I'm going to reset from -3/-3 to -3/-2 on the cam gears to see if that reduces it a bit. I don't want stock idle, but I don't want the amount of lobe its currently got either. [A post seemed to indicate that -3/-1 reduced lobe to almost nothing].

I'm a bit concerned about my clutch and flywheel ... the drive train seems to be holding rev more than it used to (key word "seems") but I need to watch this a bit more closely. If I shift fast and hard, no worries, but a more casual shift seems to result in what sounds a bit like clutch slippage, but as far as I can tell, I don't currently have a clutch problem. That is ... before the map load, normal (like its always been), after the map load , the "slippage" effect.

Would I go back to my stock cams ... no, nyet, nein.

-- dave

Last edited by raymerd; Dec 28, 2004 at 06:19 AM. Reason: I can't type