Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Case Study: Road "Tuning" vs Dyno Tuning (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IE Evo
Shiv u want me to stay out of this?
Just don't get it locked, okay?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

I agree that parts like upgraded IC,intake, MBC etc is not needed and is an added cost when u go the BR route. I do agree that Shiv's exhaust is a lil pricy but it is a beautiful piece. On the West Coast,back in the day, me and Smoggy held our own against the Br stage 4s and our total costs were a lil less.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by statix
He's doing real good, is MR is pretty hooked up, maybe someday we'll make it to the strip for some fun.....
Let me and Smoggy know when u go. I would like to see u guys run.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Just don't get it locked, okay?
I won't. I had a couple Diatribes ready to post but my Wireless acted up and I am not in the mood to repost it.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:58 AM
Account Disabled

What this chart shows is a nearly ideal 91 octane tune.

What I must add - whichI lacked the time to elaberate earlier due to time contsraints as I was still dynoing a Evo IX before at 2:00 a.m. and the dyno shop was growing a bit mad with me posting at the evo m at that hour - anyway this particular car which I will always remember vividly as the first BR Stage II on a Evo IX was probably the WORST WRENCHED EVO I have ever seen

When i met the customer I needed to REINSTALL his FORGE MBC as it was backwards - (hoses reversed) and the stiff spring was also MIS-INSTALLED an cocked so I had to go to the home depot and buy an allen wrench to take it apart

The whole install was buchered and the lowest quality install I have seen

I could esily belive that one of the upper fmic couplings could have worked its way loose of some other vacume line may have been missing a zip tie

The main thurst is that in normal operation when the engine is rocking back and forth and going over bumps BOOST LEAKS can and will develop.

When you see the boost falling to 16.5 psi in a 3rd gear pull and you have Stage II and a Forge MBC and Forge BOV you know there is without a doubt a boost leak or turbo problem - otherwsie the boost would not fall so far

Back to the chart shown - the a/f curve was almost 100% staight - a real smooth tune. The G force shows a smooth even pull all the way through and a very significant acceleration on that car.

I rememeber that car like yesterday - it was a real great riding car and a blast to drive. I thought it was VERY fast for 91 octane and the G force meter shows it pulling hard

MOST IMPORTANTLY - the boost is HOLDING and only droping 1.5 psi through the entire pull in 3rd gear to 7500 rpms

Obviously something happend after the tune was completed to result in a larger boost taper - obviously a BOOST LEAK

As I have said above - too bad that the original shop that did the install and or shiv did not or did not want to go through a diagnostic procedure to find out WHY the boost was falling so low.

It also amazes me that Shiv would be so misguided and confused to post this retarded comparision comapring the car at two totally different boost levels and claming that his tuning is so great.

Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vishnu,

I must agree with some of the stuff that you said, by the way, good write up. You are correct, there are some mods out there that are not performance wise, but others definately are.

I am surprised that you guys made more power by removing a renoum brand like the HKS filter or a UICP with a 1 gen BOV, these BOV when crushed properly they can help significantly on holding boost, I personally have one installed.

Honestly I think the problem here is the tunning and the tuner, a good tuner should make your car fast. Per instance when I had my car tuned on the road my car felt fast, then we put the car on the dyno and re checked and there was virtually almost no changes that had to be made to the car.

By the way, I read an article from you guys almost 3 years ago in which you tested a Evo8 baseline with 91OCT then with 93OCT and made 8 more WHP with the 93 OCT gas bone stock.

How is the baseline power of a 03-04 vs the 05 Evo vs the 06 Evo 9? Do you guys have a reference?

Last but not least, I have always been impressed with your products and your performance, you laid the smack down very well with the 800HP TT Venom Viper and Lingenfelter Vette at the Supershooout.. Way to go!!

Carlos
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Bfk Fer Lyfe
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
What this chart shows is a nearly ideal 91 octane tune.

What I must add - whichI lacked the time to elaberate earlier due to time contsraints as I was still dynoing a Evo IX before at 2:00 a.m. and the dyno shop was growing a bit mad with me posting at the evo m at that hour - anyway this particular car which I will always remember vividly as the first BR Stage II on a Evo IX was probably the WORST WRENCHED EVO I have ever seen

When i met the customer I needed to REINSTALL his FORGE MBC as it was backwards - (hoses reversed) and the stiff spring was also MIS-INSTALLED an cocked so I had to go to the home depot and buy an allen wrench to take it apart

The whole install was buchered and the lowest quality install I have seen

I could esily belive that one of the upper fmic couplings could have worked its way loose of some other vacume line may have been missing a zip tie

The main thurst is that in normal operation when the engine is rocking back and forth and going over bumps BOOST LEAKS can and will develop.

When you see the boost falling to 16.5 psi in a 3rd gear pull and you have Stage II and a Forge MBC and Forge BOV you know there is without a doubt a boost leak or turbo problem - otherwsie the boost would not fall so far

Back to the chart shown - the a/f curve was almost 100% staight - a real smooth tune. The G force shows a smooth even pull all the way through and a very significant acceleration on that car.

I rememeber that car like yesterday - it was a real great riding car and a blast to drive. I thought it was VERY fast for 91 octane and the G force meter shows it pulling hard

MOST IMPORTANTLY - the boost is HOLDING and only droping 1.5 psi through the entire pull in 3rd gear to 7500 rpms

Obviously something happend after the tune was completed to result in a larger boost taper - obviously a BOOST LEAK

As I have said above - too bad that the original shop that did the install and or shiv did not or did not want to go through a diagnostic procedure to find out WHY the boost was falling so low.

It also amazes me that Shiv would be so misguided and confused to post this retarded comparision comapring the car at two totally different boost levels and claming that his tuning is so great.

Ahem.. Al? Where do you log boost from?

shiv
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

03-04 makes 205-210, 05s make 215-220, 06s make 235 ish.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:25 AM
Account Disabled

The short story is that the car developed a bost leak after it was tuned and the initial data logs show the boost falling down at least 3 psi in the upper ends of the power banc down to 16 psi

The car needed to have aits boost leak fixed - not re-arange the car

Here is the data log from when I tuned the car - showing the boost was holding rock stead - a very high quality 91 octane tune

Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:36 AM
Account Disabled

Ahem.. Al? Where do you log boost from?

shiv
A 3 BAR GM MAP SENSNOR with a hose going to the intake manifold.

Shiv you know - dyno testing the cars with different boost levels kind of reminds me in a stannge was of the old days when you use the air inlet temp prob to manipulate the dyno results by placing near the exhuast.

Have you ever considered doing a fair test - same car - same boost level - see what differeneces tuning alone makes without doing any of the other sneaky tricks

Testing my guy's car with 3 less psi is like trying to have a road matahon and tying one of my legs behind my back - hardly sporting.

I really think you have hit a new low level in your desperate attemps to entertain and amuze your vishnuites.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

Boost leak, huh?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boost leak? my WRX having boost leaks all the times using the TurboXS RFL-H free flow piston getting partially stuck open.

One time removing the upper intercooler pipe to swapp it with Buschur UICP , forgot to tighten one of the clamps and I got boost leak.

It is possible, specially if the parts were replace recently wich happen to be in this case.

my .2c
Old Jan 5, 2006, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info Al. Finally time to put you debate to rest...
A 3 BAR GM MAP SENSNOR with a hose going to the intake manifold.
That's funny, because we tap into the boost line that goes to the BOV. I don't know if you've ever tried this Al (heck, I don't even think your dyno can log boost), but you'll see more boost taper using this boost source. Perhaps you should ask SaabTuner as to why this is the case since he discussed just this a week or so ago.

Shiv you know - dyno testing the cars with different boost levels kind of reminds me in a stannge was of the old days when you use the air inlet temp prob to manipulate the dyno results by placing near the exhuast.
Strange days indeed.

Have you ever considered doing a fair test - same car - same boost level - see what differeneces tuning alone makes without doing any of the other sneaky tricks
Have you looked at the first dyno run? Same (or less boost) with our tune. Care to explain? Please answer this question. Don't ignore it.

Testing my guy's car with 3 less psi is like trying to have a road matahon and tying one of my legs behind my back - hardly sporting.
So it's my fault you set that car to run at its knock threshold at that boost level?

I really think you have hit a new low level in your desperate attemps to entertain and amuze your vishnuites.
I really think you should finally stop making excuses and finally learn how to tune cars. Especially EVO 9s which clearly you are confused about. Frankly Al, we're all pretty sick of you trying to spread your $hit this side of the country. There is a reason why you don't fill up spots on your CA tuning sessions. Maybe people just don't like meeting up in the parking lot of a Denny's. Or maybe people just don't like to be treated like crap. Or maybe people are finally figuring out what you are about. I do have to give you credit though. Your persistant with your accusations, hoping that if you say something ridiculous enough times, enough people will begin to believe it. That's got to be worth something. Keep up the great work.

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jan 5, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for the info Al. Finally time to put you debate to rest...

That's funny, because we tap into the boost line that goes to the BOV. I don't know if you've ever tried this Al (heck, I don't even think your dyno can log boost), but you'll see more boost taper using this boost source. Perhaps you should ask SaabTuner as to why this is the case since he discussed just this a week or so ago.

Strange days indeed.

Have you looked at the first dyno run? Same (or less boost) with our tune. Care to explain?

So it's my fault you set that car to run at its knock threshold at that boost level?

I really think you should finally stop making excuses and finally learn how to tune cars. Especially EVO 9s which clearly you are confused about. Frankly Al, we're all pretty sick of you trying to spread your $hit this side of the country. There is a reason why you don't fill up spots on your CA tuning sessions. Maybe people just don't like meeting up in the parking lot of a Denny's. Or maybe people just don't like to be treated like crap. Or maybe people are finally figuring out what you are about. I do have to give you credit though. Your persistant with your accusations, hoping that if you say something ridiculous enough times, enough people will begin to believe it. That's got to be worth something. Keep up the great work.

Shiv
"Stop make excuses and learn how to tune cars . . . ."

Why dont you stop being an ******* and insulting and attacking other people and thier work?

I certainly wont be taking any car tuning lessions from you after this latest example of 100% flawed and inaccurate dyno testing and comparision.

BTW you should know that the hose I lead into the engine compartment hooks up to the same BOV refrenece line you have described.

Clearly - when I was tuning the car it had no boost leaks and it was holding great boost. As anwyone with a BR Stage II would epxect when using the wonderful Forge UNOS MBC. This is all par for the course - nothing new - its old news.

When the customer came to you you could have diagnosed and fixed his boost leak - but rather you rejoiced as it was finally time to try to out do my work and show how much smarter you are to everyone. Hence all the time spent with your dramatic post and removing all thise great BR parts from the guys car - idiotic.

Shiv - in your hate and anger - you neglected to realize that the poor customer had only a minor boost leaks which could have prob beeb fixed in 10 mins.

To bad you did not - or could not remedy that condition so that we could have had a real fair A - B comparision

Lucily for me I have all my road tune data logs backed up and saved so in this case it is easy for me to produce the evidence which shows that while the car was in my hands it has no bost leaking issue.

As for people not liking me on the west coast - I have always had great sucess in my Cali trips in fact I have been out there at least 7 times now and bookings are very strong for my upcomming trip - in fact the event is nearly sold out.

Shiv, you have no class. Your ugly, toxic, nasty, vile and when you speak it is clear that you are so wrapped up in your own distorted shivladen fansaty world that somewhere along the way you forgot how a professional acts and operates.

Shame on you for trying to attack me with these misgudided half truths and inaccurate data comparisons. You must be fairly desperate to have lowered your self to this level - hopes it help to generate some new customers for that wonderful exede thing.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 5, 2006 at 02:25 AM.