Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

How does Ecutek interface with MIVEC? I've got problems

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does Ecutek interface with MIVEC? I've got problems

Reguarding the MIVEC parameters, what all is changed when a guy with a IX goes the Ecutek route. The reason I ask this is because it seems as though my IX has had problems relating to the oil system that the MIVEC uses. It seems like there is too much pressure or something. I've now got a "service engine soon" light and a P0011 code. The car is currently at the dealership and I'm scared to death that they are not going to honor my warranty. All I'm running is a full exhaust and an Ecutek from Vishnu.

The car runs fine, it just has a service engine light. There is no knock or hesitation from the engine... the response and power still seems to be there. The only thing I'm wondering about is whether or not the oil pressures are going outside the normal parameters because I'm running a more aggressive Ecutek program.

The engine had a leaky oil problem from the beginning... originating from the oil supply line to the MIVEC system. Well, the timing belt got saturated... they replaced the timing belt... and a day later I'm seeing this P0011 code. The mechanics said that they didn't have a "service engine soon" light when they were done with it. They also said that the car popped the code when I was at like 3,500 rpm at 35 mph (black box stuff). Yeah, scary stuff... they can detect almost anything that you did wrong. Luckily, I did nothing wrong to cause this.

So, can a reflash cause the engine to run higher or lower oil pressures that are outside the normal parameters and thus throw a code?
Old May 22, 2006, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

I believe I answered your question on the phone today?
Old May 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not too familiar with the flash but I do remember that technicians can detect a flash on '05 and up models
Old May 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, sorry to post it on the board... I'm getting conflicting reports. I just wanted to review what you said. I didn't take notes and I was a little unsure about all this stuff since the Mitsubishi mechanics were kind of vauge about what happened. I'm taking your word over thiers though. They said that the timing belt and cams were put on correctly and that my problem seems to be related to a oil pressure discrepancy because the computer may have noticed an improper pressure figure at that certain point. The ecu didn't like it so it threw a code.

I'm just trying to figure out how to fix the problem. I have no where else to go but to the Mitsubishi dealership to fix it. If I owned an Evo VIII, this would probably be an easier problem to fix. Unfortunately, they now know that I have a tuned ecu. They are going to try to fix it under warranty though... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Mmelmann; May 22, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 22, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

The code that I pulled up by going over to Advance Auto Parts said this:

DTC (Codes)

P0011
Camshaft Position
Actuator A - Bank 1
Timing Over-Advan.

DTC Pending (Codes)

Camshaft Position
Actuator A - Bank 1
Timing Over-Advan.

The Mitsu mechanic said that I can't trust what the Advance Auto code reader says... but why not? What makes one code reader more accurate over the other. If the ecu is throwing a specific code... what makes it wrong if the code reader didn't come from the Mitsubishi's shop? A code is a code to me.

Edit: The oil light flickers intermittantly next to the SES light. I don't have an oil pressure gauge, so I don't know what pressure I'm seeing when it light's up.

Last edited by Mmelmann; May 22, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Just talked to Shiv. He said that this code pops up on about 50% of the time on the IX. Evidentally, since they have to advance the cam so much to give us that good torque pull down low... it will possibly throw a code, but it's nothing to worry about especially if it's the only code being thrown. He said to just clear it and not to worry.

Thanks Shiv.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

no problemo.
Old May 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It would be nice if you could just disable that code especially if 50% of clients run into it.
Old May 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
It would be nice if you could just disable that code especially if 50% of clients run into it.

I'm workin on it
Old May 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I so hope Paul throws this code, panics, and calls me. I'll tell him that his engine is about to fall out.
Old May 27, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I so hope Paul throws this code, panics, and calls me. I'll tell him that his engine is about to fall out.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure why, but the code went away by itself after a few days. It hasn't been back since. Hmmm
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Bump. Is there any more info on MIVEC map changes causing CELs?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

I would not even bring the car to the stealership for that. Pray they dont detect that you were fiddling with the ECU.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

is there a cure for this or do I keep plugging in the crater? started getting p0011 after retune with cosi cams...