Originally Posted by Calvin@Vishnu
Here's mine.

KaliCali/thekut.jpg
That's the best kart yet
Old Jun 17, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw

Yeah, Ive seen that many times. In fact a friend of mine is working on putting a Gixxer 750 motor in one as we speak.

Consequently, its futile.....the 250 racers are so fast...that Gixxer 1100 Kart was just plain drift machine.

Which gives me an idea.....anyone down for Kart drifting? LOL
Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I just sold one of those. But it wasn't a shifter...it was a KT100 Yamaha (Formula-Y)

It was fun while it lasted!

Last edited by RogueSTi; Jun 17, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Just got back from Craig D's house. Not only is Craig an SF PD officer, he's also an avid karting enthusiast. So much of an enthusiast, in fact, that he offered to help me put my kart together. This means prepping the engine (TM icc 125cc) and mounting it on the frame, installing the cooling system, routing all the fuel lines, mounting the seat, hooking up the clutch line, installing carb jets, etc,. With two people on the job, we got the entire kart sorted out in a matter of a few hours. Just in time for a midnight romp through his sleepy neighborhood! Tomorrow, I'm going to test the noise thresholds of my neighbors as well. For now, my little monster sits in the Econovan...

Mmmm... Brembos

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 25, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Everyone go buy shift karts today!

I took mine out to an industrial parking lot today to do the motor break in. After the motor went though two 10 minute partial throttle cycles, it was time to let the fun begin. The parking lot is actually a bunch of rows of loading docks for large trucks. One lane was about 250-300 yards, and the other lane that T'ed into it was about 200 yards, if you can imagine that.

First of all, the acceleration is unreal. Even going in a straight line from 1st to 6th can be somewhat overwhelming to the senses. With about the same power to weight as a stage 2 evo on race gas, and super short gearing, the kart can break the tires loose in just about any gear...which is good, because half the time I had no idea what gear I was in, anyways. After I got more comfortable with the outright speed, I started working on getting it sideways, and keeping it there. In almost no time I had a little drift route that was quite rewarding when done right. It started with flicking it sideways in third gear, sliding from the short road, onto the long road. Once I got the kart pointed in the right vector, it was time to throw it from a right hand slide, into the left hand slide to complete a U-turn drift. This was fun because it would start in 3rd gear, and end in 4th by the end of the u-turn, and it took an ungodly amount of throttle modulation. I will get some video of this the next time we do it.

This week we hit the track. More stories you blabbering later.

Vishnu has shifter kart fever...you should too.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Another Public Service Announcement:

Today, I built up the nerve to take my kart out in my neighborhood. If those electric golf karts (I live in a golf course contry club... and I don't play golf!) can putt around, so can my race kart dammit. So much to the dismay of my neighbors, i bump started my kart (ran along side of it, in neutral, then pushed the lever into 2nd gear... badada...dingggg!!). Then hopped into it and started tooling around on my street. Revs low to break-in the fresh motor. Did this for 10 minutes or so. Managed to not get run over by any cars which was a good thing. Finally, up to temp, I decided to drive around the neighborhood. Up and over the big hill towards the turning circle about a mile away from my house. No cops. No angry folks chasing me down in golf karts. No trained attack dogs hunting me down. Just a bunch of kids yelling and waving their hands as I slowly and noisily putted by.

Finally got down to turning circle, dropped down 2 gears and let it loose a little bit. DIIING DIING.... BWWWWWAAAAAAAP!!!! The microsecond the engine comes into its powerband, the tires let loose as if smeard with Vaseline. Quick upshift! Still no traction. Another upshift... tires get traction and the car rockets forward. As Dustin said, think 600bhp EVO, with drag slicks and a 7000rpm launch and you'll get an idea. But factor in the fact that you're only 1.5 inches off the ground and turning a steering wheel that about 1/2 turn lock-to-lock and its another world all together. A very bumpy, twitchy, noisy and blurry-eyed world. Flick the kart into the cirlce and lift off the throttle. The inside rear wheel lifts off the pavement begins to slide. Get back on the gas and the kart drifts 3/4s the way around the circle with speed building so fast that I'm upshifting twice along the process.

Okay... i'm not arrested yet so I call it quits and head back to the house. But not before going up the steep 1/2 mile long hill. Still not reving it out all the way, i short shift my way up the incline. But despite shifting at 10k rpm, the kart builds speed much like my Aprilia 2 storke GP bike. It's a very addicting elastic-like pull. With all the 2 stoke vibrations building in intensity like an bee hive full of increasingly furious bees. Up and hill and back down the otherside. Speed building. And building. And building. Hmmm... I haven't checked the brakes yet. I hope they work. Sqeeeeeeze.... whooomph. Yep, the work just fine. Maybe a little too well as I lock the rear axle up momentarily.

Slowly I make my way back into the driveway. Kill the motor. Sit for a while and smell all the unique 2 stroke fumes. Get up and give the kart a quick once over. Hmmm... Looks like we forgot to tighten the gear that drives the external water pump. It came loose. And the water pump wasn't spinning. Luckily I didn't run a race like that (although a few onlooking neighbors would beg to differ). A few spins of an allen wrench and all is back to the way it should be. At least until the next thing that goes wrong

On Tuesday, we hope to head out to Stockton Motorplext to really give our karts the official shakedown. And just maybe we getting a bit of racing thrown in there as well. Barring mechanical issues, it's going to be a fun night More updates and stories of age-and-trechary vs. youth later

But not before more pics from last night:
Yes, it has a big radiator.

What it looks like from inside when your taking left turns at nearly 2Gs and your body is precariously hanging out of the seat. But not in a van.

-shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 26, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

hey,um, where are the vtec stickers?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Going to be down right impossible to get a tune at vishnu now with everybody is at the kart track.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racerxl99
hey,um, where are the vtec stickers?
Thats no honda!!!!

Scorke
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I uploaded a short video of me screwing around in front of my house. Enjoy the ape like driving.

www.vishnutuning.com/movie/CortKart.mpg
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:24 PM

here is mine

Old Jul 4, 2006, 03:43 PM

those things are just crazy - i would **** myself
Old Jul 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
I uploaded a short video of me screwing around in front of my house. Enjoy the ape like driving.

www.vishnutuning.com/movie/CortKart.mpg

That looks like a blast !

Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
word!

i also have a trackmagic 125cc, that was run in the 2001 Pro moto championship, by kyle martin!!

its a blast!!!

two timing maps, etc..... what fun...

best practice i have found to drive a big race car like an lmp car etc.... makes everything else seem lame!!

have fun,

cb
Old Jul 4, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by del105
here is mine
LOL, you're hauling so much @$$ in that pic that the Hawk Brakes sticker can't even keep up!