Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

XEDE with Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by Ryanmcd3
Also the xede has 2 maps, what if when the water runs low it changes to the other map that does not use water injection?

A definate reason to go with the Xede instead of just a reflash.
I hope Vishnu or someone does some work on this. There is definately a product here if we go run a more aggressive map using water and 91.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:15 AM

I use Xede in exactly that manner - a water injection tune and a nonWI tune. Though there is no rpm limiter to map bank switching which would theorectically permit a switch on the fly - it is not a good idea. ChipTorque tells me that it would be at least a second to switch maps and does not know what would happen during that second if the maps switched while in load sites that are modifying signals. I would utilize a boost cut as an autmated response to a WI system problem - thus protecting the engine until you can slow down to engine speeds where the signal is not being modified then switch map banks.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have dyno or other performance numbers?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:17 PM

Not on an Evo.

You can see the results of implementations across the web on many other turbo cars. Consistently across dozens of implementations on multiple platforms I have found compared to a baseline 92-93 octane tune, where only as much fuel as necessary to suppress knock is being injected and still achieve MBT (small buffers on fuel and timing of course) that for each multiple of AFR you lean by while still suppressing knock at MBT and still fully utilizing all oxygen as determined by a four gas analyzer you should expect around a 10% improvement in torque. Since the AFR shift and rpm point of each shift varies over rpms - the HP benefit varies but clearly at high rpms this torque advantage translates into a higher hp increase than the torque increase.

By multiple of AFR I mean for instance leaning from 10:1 to 11:1. Expect conservatively to be able to lean to 12.5 on most performance engines with properly implemented WI.

Those same relative numbers can be seen in performance tunes that don't use water injection when leaning from OEM richness to performance tuned AFRs - they are just limited by the still richer than optimum AFR because of the inefficiencies of gasoline for cooling and the inhibition of complete combustion by excess hydrocarbons.

I use 10% as a conservative estimate as being the amount that you will see on most any performance engine.

Last edited by turboICE; Jan 11, 2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I believe it is both pratical and possible to run partially redundant system. Alternating pulses between two water pumps (from one contoler) driving one, or two smaller orifice, spray nozzle(s) each. This would effectively solve the loss of w/f/a ratio control beyond the mid RPM range and add an extra margine of safey to the system while helping to homogenize and evenly distribute the vapor. Using an analog device to cut power to the injectors in case of a falure in the wi system could shut things down just as quickly as a rev limiter can. The only engineering issues I can see from here are to determine where to generate the "crowbar" singnal from and then to fabricate the circuits to power the extra pump and the one to cut the pulses to the injectors. These are rather straight forward problems and should not be beyond the skills of someone with an A.A. in electronics technology.
Shiv has pointed out the he sees a possible gain from wi on the Evo. I believe he questions the risk/ cost/ reward ratio. If someone wants to pony up for his time I assume he would be more thn happy to tune a wi equiped Evo. Theroy isn't always fact, there are unknown factors. BTW Shiva's cars kick A so he must not be all that off the mark. Thank you for all of your 2c posts Shiva, they add up (pun intended).
Old Jan 22, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv,

have you done anything with the Water Injection yet?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 03:22 PM

Do you think it is possible to increase the CR to 10:1 and run 4 bar absolute manifold pressure on an EVO? If so, you should get 600BHP without any problems
Old Aug 24, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Vishnu is running 600bhp already..
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:09 PM

I am not too concerned about the HP, but do you think it is achievable to run these CR and 4 bar absolute on an EVO?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Dave Buschur said in a post earlier this year that his experience with WI indicated that 24 psi with 93 octane gas was possible but he implied that more was difficult. My current goal is to run 24 psi and make my 300 hspr EVO into a 360 hspr EVO. It seems that I can get half of this from higher pressure and half from a leaner mixture possible with water.
The $400 investment seems like a no brainer except that nobody sells an EVO specific kit per se.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:47 PM

Prodrive has run these insane setup on their WRC car with water injection , here is a thread to read the technical article -

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69783

If these boost levels (45psi) and Compression ratio (10:1) can be applied to the EVO with WI, just imagine!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:36 AM

WORKS is selling a WI kit specifically for the EVO, I think - saw it on their website.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ez76
I don't know jack **** about jack **** but it seems that relying on water injection to make power is more or less akin to relying on nitrous or any other supplement that is likely to go empty much sooner than your fuel tank - even with a switchable set of maps, seems like you'd need instrumentation and vigilance to ensure you cut over to your "waterless" map in time, no?

The science and analysis is very interesting but is water injection really necessary to extract maximum power or is it just one approach of many? Definitely seems like it has practicality trade-offs vs. running extra or higher octane fuel.
The focus WRC car uses 4 webber stainless steel injectors for WI. Controls them with the Pi electronic engine management system. They are mounted underneath the intake runner. All WRC teams use something like it.

To use it you need to be as reliable as your fuel system.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

You can also call Dave Buschur, he has systems in stock.

Last edited by DRWN KIX; Sep 7, 2004 at 08:43 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by DRWN KIX
You can also call Dave Bushur, he has systems in stock.
Has anyone used his WI?

Quick Reply: XEDE with Water Injection