Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Cam gear dilemma solved

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam gear dilemma solved

First, Vishnu's cam gears are great. If anyone out there has read my recent posts about the grinding sound after they were installed don't blame it on Vishnu's products. They are easy to install (unless you are incompetent mechanic apparently) and work great. I heard D. Buscher camplain about the 3 bolt HKS cam gears and could just imagine my earlier posts getting circulated around as proof that they are bad news. Not so!

That lame shop dropped a small socket off the end of a rachet and it fell into the lower gear pulley. The owner said that the mechanic didn't notice that it fell off. He said no damage was done and that the car is fine. "Nobody's perfect." I argued a bit with him but didn't get anywhere.

I'm trying to decide what to do from here. I'm thinking of calling the shop and asking for a complete refund (which is what I wanted when I picked up my car) or should I take him to small claims court and sue. Although my car runs fine now, there may be damage that surfaces from this incident the the car gets older or as I put additional modifications on it that could put greater stress on the parts that were scratched by the socket.

The third approach I could take is just to forget about it and move on.

Thank you all for your input!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man dude that sux but glad you found it...How the hell can't you hear a socket fall off and bounce in between the gears...
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:17 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Re: Cam gear dilemma solved

Originally posted by Smogrunner
First, Vishnu's cam gears are great. If anyone out there has read my recent posts about the grinding sound after they were installed don't blame it on Vishnu's products. They are easy to install (unless you are incompetent mechanic apparently) and work great. I heard D. Buscher camplain about the 3 bolt HKS cam gears and could just imagine my earlier posts getting circulated around as proof that they are bad news. Not so!

That lame shop dropped a small socket off the end of a rachet and it fell into the lower gear pulley. The owner said that the mechanic didn't notice that it fell off. He said no damage was done and that the car is fine. "Nobody's perfect." I argued a bit with him but didn't get anywhere.

I'm trying to decide what to do from here. I'm thinking of calling the shop and asking for a complete refund (which is what I wanted when I picked up my car) or should I take him to small claims court and sue. Although my car runs fine now, there may be damage that surfaces from this incident the the car gets older or as I put additional modifications on it that could put greater stress on the parts that were scratched by the socket.

The third approach I could take is just to forget about it and move on.

Thank you all for your input!
Told ya they mighta dropped something Glad its worked out It sucks that you payed Porsche repair work then get regular Mitsu service That is total incompetance and a ****ty job and shop. Plus they acted as if YOU were the one to blame!!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Is this a shop you go to all the time? I think you should at least get your money back for the install. That's like those horror surgery stories where the doctors/nurses leave medical equiment (like sponges etc.) in a patient after open thoracic surgery (okay not that bad but still pretty bad). Maybe take it somewhere else and get a 2nd opinion and see what they say about any possible damage, then think about small claims court if there was any.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

glad to hear that you found the problem.
i'd have them refund you the $$ AND pay to have another shop check their work. who knows what else might have gotten screwed up.( teeth on the main gear or a chewed up belt)
Tom
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:28 AM
In Timeout

I would do this, and if they give you any **** sue the shop, the person who did the work, the owner of the shop, and the owner of the land. lolrof been there done that.

Originally posted by tom@kartboy
glad to hear that you found the problem.
i'd have them refund you the $$ AND pay to have another shop check their work. who knows what else might have gotten screwed up.( teeth on the main gear or a chewed up belt)
Tom
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I would have the car inspected for damage and then take appropriate action.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Live and learn.... and take it to a better place next time.....there are too many law suits flying around!!!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was replacing the hydraulic lash adjusters on a friend's engine a while back, one of the rocker arms flew out of the head, bounced off of something and dropped straight into the timing belt cover. Unbelievable. I spent the better part of an hour fishing it out from behind the cover. There were a few horrible moments where it even dropped down farther than where it had started. I finally got it out with a 3-prong spring-loaded grabber tool. But I turned a 1 hour job into a 2 hour job. Could have been worse, I suppose.