Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

There are failsafes, failsafes and failsafes...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Any updates on the SMC Version 3.0???
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Any updates on the SMC Version 3.0???
not really. here are the facts:

the failsafe is built into the controller and you will need to replace your controller to utilize it.

it will be able to work with older smc kits.

steve is going to come up with some sort of deal for people that already have v2 controllers, to get a v3 controller

there is NO ETA on the v3's anymore. steve can't keep up regular demands at the moment, let alone developing a new piece.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled

the snow kits are in stock and ready to go for people wanting a kit with failsafe...
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:29 PM

Our Safe Injection option is an additional controller that measures actual fluid flow. If it drops below a preset level, due to no fluid, clogged (complete or partial) injector, pump output failing, etc. it will trigger the 12vdc output. This can be used any way you see fit to bleed boost and/or pull timing.

It won't account for a loose/leaking connection *after* the Safe Injection, but I am not sure how to do that feasably - always open to suggestions, of course.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:35 AM
Former Sponsor

May be it is a good time for me to collate a more indepth study on the merit of each failsafe system available, it has been sometime ago since I started this thread.

Good to have WI makers to contribute to this thread.

Making good power is one thing, but coping with a "loss of injection" is just as important. .......edited.......

Richard

Last edited by Richard L; Apr 22, 2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: inappropraite comment.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whose kit has had all the "mishaps"? SMC?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

I am going to edit the out the comment, it is not appropriate and it is not on this forum.

Sorry.

Richard
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:01 PM

Some devilsown controller safe guards.

Full time current sensing, this will warn you with the fault light to get out of the gas by flashing the 3rd LED.

The controller will go into fault mode if
- excessive current draw (clogged nozzle)
- fault in the pump circuit (dead pump)
- controller overheat (internal saftey)
- pump wired incorrectly (user error)
- loss of pump ground wire (low level sensor add on)

Control set up to put in test switch just by adding a toggle

The 3rd LED will flash and the controller will go into fault mode for any of these issues.

The cheapest and best way to monitor your system is simply adding a snubbed pressure guage period. It's right in your face and is accurate just like your boost pressure gauge. Un snubbed guages will have violent pulsing to them and will not give you a true reading of actual pump output pressure.

Clogged nozzle (pressure will not drop when the pump is off)
Pump wired incorrectly (will show the pump cut on and off with pressure drops)

Pump failure (no pressure)

Hope that helps out for you DIY guys.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have the SMC kit on my car and have had it now for about 6 months. I think the system is a time bomb. I had a hose come lose and it did not inject for a 2nd gear pull. Then I had it knock a little but that was due to tuning. I am going to be removing this kit and doing a pump and race gas map on my new motor with a gt35r. I think my motor is okay but this is a quick fix and something will fail after time. The system is okay nothing great and to do a great system it will cost several thousand and then it is still not safe. Want to make good power spend the cash for race gas or just run pump and know the car is not going to blow up and you can sleep at night. To the SMC guy that says we worry too much, how about if a motor blows do to your system failing you pay 100% of it?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Whose kit has had all the "mishaps"? SMC?
I have a local that had some probs...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
I have the SMC kit on my car and have had it now for about 6 months. I think the system is a time bomb. I had a hose come lose and it did not inject for a 2nd gear pull. Then I had it knock a little but that was due to tuning. I am going to be removing this kit and doing a pump and race gas map on my new motor with a gt35r. I think my motor is okay but this is a quick fix and something will fail after time. The system is okay nothing great and to do a great system it will cost several thousand and then it is still not safe. Want to make good power spend the cash for race gas or just run pump and know the car is not going to blow up and you can sleep at night. To the SMC guy that says we worry too much, how about if a motor blows do to your system failing you pay 100% of it?
The only 2 injection system i will run is either the Snows or Aquamist. I'm biased towards the Aquamist because i personally used it and the features not found in any system out there. Its not a half *** Ace Hardware brass fitting hack together, but a well thought of and engineered system. Pricey yes but worth every cent not mentioning the peace of mind using it.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Again the safest way is just to run the race gas. When I am tracking my car at Road Atlanta the last thing I want to worry about is some 1/2 assed injection setup or that I pull a high G load and it starves the pump or some other BS. I dont want to save a few $$ to blow up a 10k evo race motor. Remember you can pay now or pay later, I want to pay now you will pay later

Originally Posted by SlowCar
The only 2 injection system i will run is either the Snows or Aquamist. I'm biased towards the Aquamist because i personally used it and the features not found in any system out there. Its not a half *** Ace Hardware brass fitting hack together, but a well thought of and engineered system. Pricey yes but worth every cent not mentioning the peace of mind using it.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Its a pity a badly designed injection system has steered you away from WAI.....barb fitting + hose clamps, you are right *tick tick tick* a time bomb waiting to go off

Last edited by SlowCar; Apr 25, 2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

New look DDS3

DDS3 has received a facelift.

Quick Reply: There are failsafes, failsafes and failsafes...