Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

SMC Methanol Users

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh man my kit is leaking now too. I knew something was up because everytime I'd boost I could smell it. AFR's are about .3 points higher as well.

I haven't determined where the leak is but it drips off the bottom of the pump. Should I even attempt to fix this or send it back to SMC for a full inspection?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Steve at SMC asked me to send the pump and tank in for warranty. They are going to replace the seals, I believe. My pump is almost 3 years old and they are using better seals now. Give Steve a call or email and he will take care of you. AS always SMC's customer service is awesome.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
Steve at SMC asked me to send the pump and tank in for warranty. They are going to replace the seals, I believe. My pump is almost 3 years old and they are using better seals now. Give Steve a call or email and he will take care of you. AS always SMC's customer service is awesome.
I have to send my old unit...Steve will replace it...but i need to know how to remove the tank..do i have to remove bumper?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, removal of the front bumper is the easiest way to get to the Front mounted tank and pump assembly. You can do it without but I have never tried it and I am sure it is a PITA. There are many how to on removing the front bumper, but there is 1 screw in each fender well and 2 under the hood. There are also 2 push pin connectors under the hood as well. You need to remove the undertray and then slowly pull down on the driver or passenger side corner. You will here a pop and it is loose, repeat for the other side and then slowly remove the bumper from the front.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 PM

Update

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Well I was having an issue with my pressure not going over 75/80psi. SMC quickly and painlessly replaced the pump on my kit. After installing the new pump same thing first test 80psi, second test 40psi, then after that the gauge stops reading any pressure, but the kit is working properly. The gauge is cheap and it *could* be the gauge is faulty as well. I'm going to look into another gauge, cause the kit is spraying a ton of fluid...
I just had my pump seals replaced by Steve. But at first I thought it didn't fix a thing as the my pressure was still low. So, based on the quote above I called Steve and got a new gauge for free. It turns out my gauge was reading incorrrectly .

Everything is working perfect again !!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

I had a slight drippage on the bottom of the pump, no worries the seal just needed to be replaced.

I was worried about my pump. It would go no higher than 65 psi. I called SMC and sent the tank in (no down time, I still drove my car since it's a daily driver, just turn the boost down). Turns out the brushes in the pump just needed to be worked. Steve said that if this happens again just take the sprayer nozzle off and put into the tank and activate the pump to get the brushes working. And if that didn't work I would have to get the newer version into the car since they don't make mine anymore. I can only use alky/meth, no water.

The pump was not replaced, it was used until the brushes got loose or whatever they do to get the psi back up to 95 psi.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

I finally got around to looking at mine. It's leaking at the bottom of the pump just like you've described. It's the seal around the "little box thing" at the very bottom... I'm going to email SMC and hopefully get this fixed.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

nm

Last edited by justchil; Jan 29, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Justchil -- How did your leak get fixed? What was the issue?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

The pump seals had to be replaced by SMC.