Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Coolingmist custom install explained and reviewed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolingmist custom install explained and reviewed

I jus finished an install and tune on a customers car using the Evo specific kit. This is the first install of its kind as far as I know. The car has an AEM wideband and AEM boost gage, which both have 0-5v analog outputs. I installed the kit using the instructions with the kit. I then integrated the AEM wideband and boost gage to the unit for further failsafe. The car made 330/330 hp/tq on 91 at 22 psi tapering to 19psi on a Dyno Jet. When we turned on the alky/water we ended up with 360/370 hp/tq 27psi tapering to 21psi. The car was not removed from the dyno or any changes made other than the tuning and adding boost.

We are thinking the stock intake is choking the engine in the upper RPM and thats why we cant keep the boost higher. My 8 holds boost better than this 9 does. We will be getting an open filter intake and doing a retune as well as installing an HKS 280 intake cam.

UPDATE #1
The pinouts on the Smart injection are numbered 1-20. Here is the way I hooked up the Snart Injection in the car.

1) 12v switched ignition
2) chasis ground
3) (aux 5v power) power to float switch
4) (gnd output #1) to alky solenoid
5) (gnd output #2) to boost bypass 3-way solenoid
6) (gnd output #3) to boost bypass 3-way solenoid
7) (gnd output #4) to boost bypass 3-way solenoid
8) (gnd output #5) not used
9) (0-5v output) to small blue wire on Vari Cool controller
10) (aux gnd) not used
11) (0-5v input #1) NO status monitor
12) (0-5v input #2) from 0-5v MAP sensor
13) (0-5v gnd) not used
14) (0-5v input #3) from float sensor
15) (0-5v input #4) from 0-5v W/B O2
16) (0-5v gnd) not used
17) (egt input +) not used
18) (egt input -) not used
19) (counter #1) reserved for flow sensor for later install
20) (counter #2) MAF input from ECU

more to come later

Last edited by cpoevo; Feb 26, 2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: updated info
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't wait for more info, any pics?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

would be nice if you could post logs of

meth flow Vs. idc/map/load/maf

when the sensor is in.

btw, this is a progressive pump speed setup?

Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

oops missed out afr
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
would be nice if you could post logs of

meth flow Vs. idc/map/load/maf

when the sensor is in.

btw, this is a progressive pump speed setup?

The tuner of the car has never tuned meth before. We spent about 4 hours tuning because he was a little hesitant and wanted to take things very slowly and be safe. Afr is a 12.0 tapering to around 11.8 at redline. The injectors that were installed before the alky kit are PTE 880's. The IDC is around a max of 55%. I think we could have stayed on stock injectors. They went to the 880's before the meth because the stockers were maxing out at like 110% IDC. Load is hitting like 295. We dont have 2byte airflow on the car, but by reading the coolingmist software we are hitting about 1800 hz on the MAF.

Yes this is using a progressive setup. It is a 3d table based on Hz and MAP. I am sure with a lot more tweaking I could get better flow and more power out of her. The 3d table is kinda of a ***** to setup if you do it all on your own. Coolingmist does include one for reference, but I made our own to follow instead.

I am pretty impressed with the results of the tune and the operability of the kit so far. Hopefully over the weekend we can get it back on the dyno and trigger a bunch of different failsafes and see how well the system really works in that aspect.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have any plans of integrating EGT into the unit? Its great that you are integrating AFR into our failsafe.

Interested in hearing more updates as available.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

The owner does not have an EGT gage. I dont think he has any intention of adding one either. The customer has the car back and is really enjoying the new power. We are waiting for a new intake cam and a new intake as the stock one is pretty restrictive. We will be doing more testing when we get the car back.

The 3 failsafes we setup are 1) AFR and boost dependent, 2) low pump pressure on the pressure switch, 3) low tank fluid level.

I tried 2 different 3-way solenoid valves that did not work worth a crap. They both had very small orfices inside that really restricted the flow. I ordered a MAC valve, thank you Abner, and it works flawlessly. I recomend to anyone using an alky kit to use MAC valves, AEM buys thousands of them a year for their True Boost Controller.

Sorry updates have been few and far between, but I am in the Navy and spend a lot of my time at sea and dont have much time to update here. Will try and finish the update and get some pictures up soon.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

the turbosmart eboost controllers uses the MAC valves too
Old Mar 2, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

MAC is definitely the way to go. If it wasnt for you Abner I would have a pissed off customer and would still be scratching my head trying to figure it out.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a link to our controller/failsafe/datalogger that he is using.

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1099

Its quite an extensive device for those that want to integrate wideband, or egt, rpm, tps, or any other input.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

So the customer brought the car back today and was a little worried about the performance. Well after putting the car on the dyno and doing a few pulls the Smart Injection was doing exactly what it was told to do. The tune was spot on as well. We were seing 1 count of knock during spoolup and it was not consistant run to run. The problem is the W/B. The AEM WB fluctuates so much it is really hard to set the parameters for boost cut based on AFR and boost. The car runs great in 3rd gear and cuts boost in 4th.

So we turned off the failsafe for boost and afr to see if that was the problem for sure. Dont worry we had one guy watching the dyno afr and another watching the laptop for any signs of trouble. The car ran flawlessly. So I enabled the afr and boost failsafe again and the boost would fluctuate because it would cut boost and then give it back. We made someminor fuel adjustments and made a few adjustments to the failsafe and it runs fine in 4th with no failsafe activation due to boost and afr.

So far the kit is performing as expected. It is a little complicated to setup and install to the extent I have done here. After a few phone calls to Cooling Mist it was all worked out. Hell they even called me back while we were still tuning to see the progress we were making and to ensure we had the problem fixed.

The HP curve is a little wavy and I am pretty sure it is due to using a 3d table based on MAP and Hz. We are waiting for an intake cam and intake, since we are currently on a drop in filter. We are gonna try using tuning on MAP pressure alone and see what the gains/losses will be.

So in the mean time to be continued......
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
So the customer brought the car back today and was a little worried about the performance. Well after putting the car on the dyno and doing a few pulls the Smart Injection was doing exactly what it was told to do. The tune was spot on as well. We were seing 1 count of knock during spoolup and it was not consistant run to run. The problem is the W/B. The AEM WB fluctuates so much it is really hard to set the parameters for boost cut based on AFR and boost. The car runs great in 3rd gear and cuts boost in 4th.

So we turned off the failsafe for boost and afr to see if that was the problem for sure. Dont worry we had one guy watching the dyno afr and another watching the laptop for any signs of trouble. The car ran flawlessly. So I enabled the afr and boost failsafe again and the boost would fluctuate because it would cut boost and then give it back. We made someminor fuel adjustments and made a few adjustments to the failsafe and it runs fine in 4th with no failsafe activation due to boost and afr.

So far the kit is performing as expected. It is a little complicated to setup and install to the extent I have done here. After a few phone calls to Cooling Mist it was all worked out. Hell they even called me back while we were still tuning to see the progress we were making and to ensure we had the problem fixed.

The HP curve is a little wavy and I am pretty sure it is due to using a 3d table based on MAP and Hz. We are waiting for an intake cam and intake, since we are currently on a drop in filter. We are gonna try using tuning on MAP pressure alone and see what the gains/losses will be.

So in the mean time to be continued......
Clint can you post your grid when you get a chance? Also let me know the size of the nozzle you are using. I have an idea of whats going on and something you can try. I will test, if Im right I will post up here.

David