Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Micropump = Gods gift to meth injection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Micropump = Gods gift to meth injection

I used meth injection for about ten years. One thing I learned after many toasted engines is there is no reliable pump designed to pump methanol. The sureflow transfer pumps are a joke at best. I had first pump last me about 1.5 years. And about a dozen pumps fail at 3-6 month intervals. Failing pump during a drag race if not using a failsafe results in blown engines. Not good.

pretty much all the meth kit makers are using this same surflow pump. AEM, FJO, alkycontrol, cooling mist, auquamist, devils own. etc. etc. These pumps are a poor design at best. the pump heads are made of plastics and various type seals that swell over time. These pumps are affordale and everyone has dollar signs in their sites selling them.

Enter the micro pump. This pump is hands down nothing short of amazing. Built almost entirely of high quality stainless. The pump head consists of gears that are magnetically coupled to the electric motor. So there are no seals to go bad. No diaphrams and no check valves to fail. it is a medical grade pump made to pump for a continous 50,000 hours before needing service. It moves ~1GPM at over 100psi. And last but not least it has a 0-5v input the varies the pump volume (not pressure). Its like Gods gift to injecting meth.

I read about these pumps a few months ago but was put off on the high cost 6-900$. Then found some on e-bay for 95 shipped. I grabbed three.

Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. You selling any of the three?

lol
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting... do you have any specs about it? 100 psi for low volume is fine but over 400cc you will see it drop of typically so atomization could be a concern if that is correct... but I trust your knowledge and would love to see more specs...

Evan Smith
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

we have discontinued the shurflo pump quite a while ago. We use the Aquatec now which in my opion is a far better pump with better materials and build quality as well as having a built in bypass.

having said that, we have been looking at that pump for some time. Its a nice pump indeed. Its cost prohibitve to include in a kit for obvious reasons.

Have you investigated to see what happens if your pump runs dry?

CM
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am very interested if you are looking to sell one of these!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

googled micropump and the first link carried me here, lol

http://www.google.com.jm/search?hl=e...e+pump&spell=1
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

I know this pump very well. Ford rally team used this pump. One recommendation, It is a positive displacement pump, you must put a over-pressure relief valve or you risk damaging the internal gear, bearing seal or shaft - although it is magnetically coupled. A good pump indeed.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

thanks Richard. Looking at the specs on this pump it looks to be perfect for my needs. moves 2200cc at 3500rpm. max rpm 10,000. I have a question about "differential pressure" ratings. What are the two points of reference? inlet and outlet pressure?. or outlet pressure to atmosphere pressure?

Thanks for tip on the pressure relief valve. any good source for one?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

The problem associated with this pump is designing the restrictor (nozzler) to match the RPM, and pressure build up.

As you know, pump does not make pressure. It is the size of restriction that makes pressure. You might like to pick a suitable nozzle first and plot the pressure vs RPM. This is your first step.

The over pressure relief valve is for safety only, you can set it at 2x of your maximum operating prssure. It is essential for a PPS system.

If you are using the pump for a PWM valve system (constant pressure sustem), then replace the "over-pressure" valve with a by-pass valve (same as the return to tank, " fuel pressure regulator")

Differential pressure = P(out)-P(in). This a specs a pump will endure or produce safely.

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 22, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

well I have been playing with the pump to get a feel for it. the specs I found are for the 24v version so i dont have specs for it. the 12v version seems to pump far less than i would like to see. This pump is not as strong as I hoped. The only time it would need a bypass is if the output gets blocked. The pump itself has a safety shutdown in that case but it does that by a temp sensor. so it seems the pump may hurt itself before that temp is achieved. not sure. I tested the pump with 3,5,10,15,20,25,30 GPH jets. It seems to work best in 10-15GPH range. which will be good for a 400-450whp car. I cant test into boosted atmosphere so i dont know how much output drops. I am stiil a bit confused on the differential rating. P(in) is always zero? is it not? unless a second pump is used to feed inlet. So differential pressure is essentially the outlet pressure the pump operates at? the big question is, does a positive displacement pump drop output into a boosted atmosphere? the wikipedia definition states "positive displacement pumps ,unlike centrifugal or roto-dynamic pumps, will produce the same flow per RPM no matter the discharge pressure." Confusing to me but wouldnt that mean there would be same flow form both a 10 and 15GPH jet but at different pressures?

The 0-5v input controls the flow nicely. no need for any addition electronics. just hook up to appropriate sized map sensor and the flow varies with boost very accurately
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
The problem associated with this pump is designing the restrictor (nozzler) to match the RPM, and pressure build up.

As you know, pump does not make pressure. It is the size of restriction that makes pressure. You might like to pick a suitable nozzle first and plot the pressure vs RPM. This is your first step.

The over pressure relief valve is for safety only, you can set it at 2x of your maximum operating prssure. It is essential for a PPS system.

If you are using the pump for a PWM valve system (constant pressure sustem), then replace the "over-pressure" valve with a by-pass valve (same as the return to tank, " fuel pressure regulator")

Duifferential pressure = P(out)-P(in). This a specs a pump will endure or produce safely.

Richard,

What is your opinion on what he says about the pump you use in your kit? Why do you use that particular pump in your kits?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Did some flow tests with the pump at 14v. used a battery charger hooked to a battery. timed spray for one minute. catch spray in one gallon jug. then poor into measuring cup. Hago spray jets used by alkycontrol. from my initial visual tests this pump should work well spraying using the 7-15GPH range. My last setup on my blue car was spraying 560cc in a test like this.
5GPH = 300cc
10GPH = 515cc
15GPH= 760cc
15+5 = 940cc **
** flawed test as jet setup had pretty good size leak. but was curious if pump could keep up.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by coolingmist
we have discontinued the shurflo pump quite a while ago. We use the Aquatec now which in my opion is a far better pump with better materials and build quality as well as having a built in bypass.
The component materials for the Aquatec 5800 series pumps are the same as the Shurflo 8000 series pumps. Actually, I can't say are the same... they can be the same if you spec them out that way.

The Aquatec pump is a self-priming, 3 chamber pump with a nylon housing, EPDM valves, santoprene diaphragm, and stainless steel fasteners.

The Shurflo pump that we spec'd out for the AEM water/methanol injection kit is also a self-priming, 3 chamber pump with a nylon housing, EPDM valves, santoprene diaphragm, and stainless steel fasteners. The AEM pump also has a built in bypass.

Precluding the jump to the Aquatec pump most manufacturers have made, I'd like to think that the Shurflo pump that almost everyone used for the last 4 or 5 years was actually a very good pump for water/methanol injection. If it wasn't I don't think everyone would have used it.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NS@AEM
The component materials for the Aquatec 5800 series pumps are the same as the Shurflo 8000 series pumps. Actually, I can't say are the same... they can be the same if you spec them out that way.

The Aquatec pump is a self-priming, 3 chamber pump with a nylon housing, EPDM valves, santoprene diaphragm, and stainless steel fasteners.

The Shurflo pump that we spec'd out for the AEM water/methanol injection kit is also a self-priming, 3 chamber pump with a nylon housing, EPDM valves, santoprene diaphragm, and stainless steel fasteners. The AEM pump also has a built in bypass.

Precluding the jump to the Aquatec pump most manufacturers have made, I'd like to think that the Shurflo pump that almost everyone used for the last 4 or 5 years was actually a very good pump for water/methanol injection. If it wasn't I don't think everyone would have used it.
The pumps are a world of difference IMHO. Shurflo has not redesigned that pump in 25 years. Had I known of the Aquatec pump my company would have switched years ago. It had always been Shurflo or Flo Jet and most of us were not aware of aquatec.

We used the shurflo pump for 5 years and while im not saying its a bad pump, the failure rate of the Aquatec is far less so far.

Also, Shurflo decided to have pumps built in Mexico, so regardless my company would have switched to Aquatec. I prefer to support American companies when ever possible. For example, between AEM and a water injection company from England, AEM would get my support every single time.

CM
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
well I have been playing with the pump to get a feel for it. the specs I found are for the 24v version so i dont have specs for it. the 12v version seems to pump far less than i would like to see. This pump is not as strong as I hoped. The only time it would need a bypass is if the output gets blocked. The pump itself has a safety shutdown in that case but it does that by a temp sensor. so it seems the pump may hurt itself before that temp is achieved. not sure. I tested the pump with 3,5,10,15,20,25,30 GPH jets. It seems to work best in 10-15GPH range. which will be good for a 400-450whp car. I cant test into boosted atmosphere so i dont know how much output drops. I am stiil a bit confused on the differential rating. P(in) is always zero? is it not? unless a second pump is used to feed inlet. So differential pressure is essentially the outlet pressure the pump operates at? the big question is, does a positive displacement pump drop output into a boosted atmosphere? the wikipedia definition states "positive displacement pumps ,unlike centrifugal or roto-dynamic pumps, will produce the same flow per RPM no matter the discharge pressure." Confusing to me but wouldnt that mean there would be same flow form both a 10 and 15GPH jet but at different pressures?

The 0-5v input controls the flow nicely. no need for any addition electronics. just hook up to appropriate sized map sensor and the flow varies with boost very accurately

A positive displacement pump will always follow the RPM. But there are no exceptions:

1. The pump is dead headed - the flow will be diverted through the over-pressure valve. The total flow will be same.

2. For a small nozzle: a large portion of flow will be leaking through the over-pressure valve. Against the toal flow will be the same

3. For a large nozzle: a smaller portion of flow will be vent pass the "over-pressur" valve. Again the total flow will be the same.

4. The maximum pressure you can prodcue with this pump will depend on the torque, RPM, external by-pass and internal leak (between the gear tooth).

In other words, If you have a infinitely powerful motor and power supply. Without by-pass, the pump will keep building pressure. You can continue to increase pump speed until: the shift seal gives way.

But this pump is designed to be safe and reliable up to 100psi. So if you are using a 0-5V input to control flow, your maxmium dynamic range from this pump with a reasonable start-up spray '40psi to 100psi will be:

1. At atmospheric 40psi to 100psi ......... x1.58
2. At 10psi boost 40psi to 90 psi ....... x1.50
3. At 20psi boost 40psi to 80psi ....... x1.41*

* You can always increase RPM to make more pressure to compensate flow, but you are now operating over the designed maximum pressure and reliability will suffer.

Total flow between 40psi to 120psi at 20psi boost is the same as 40psi to 100psi without boost.

I hope I have explain this well enough for you to understand.

The better way to control flow is not by 0-5V (limited range) but switching in more nozzles as required.

Last edited by Richard L; Mar 22, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Micropump = Gods gift to meth injection