Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

***Official UT Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mountainturbo
So I finally have just about everything figured out with my car. Definitely totaled I'm thinking of buying it back (they want almost 6k for it though! If I didn't have almost 15k in aftermarket stuff on it I wouldn't even consider it) and either just selling it whole, or parting it out, so if anyone local needs something (05 EVO VII RS), let me know, once it's for sure I'll post an actual "for sale" part-out thread.
Good luck man. WOW 6k is a lot for a buy back on your Evo being as damaged as it is Mine was closer to 4k and it was stripped of parts. No body damage.

I would have thought less on your buy back compared to mine. I know a friend bought his back with similar damage as yours about 3 years ago for $2700ish I believe. Doesn't make sense. Are you getting screwed on what they are paying you back for the totaled vehicle? I ended up getting nearly 4k less than what my car stock booked for

Originally Posted by TwoFour
Feels great to be alive!

Originally Posted by Timmay81
someone find me a cbr or gsxr 600!!
GSXR is my first choice and CBR is my second If I remember right stock GSXR's where lowest out of the 600's as far as seat height.

yea for a first bike i dont want anything to special, 600cc is plenty fine for me
600's are a lot of bike for a beginner. I went from a 600 to a 1000 and I personally thought the 600 was more than enough bike for someone my size and ability.

Originally Posted by MR BURTON69
600 is plenty fast that is for sure haha

Hey I may be getting a Ducati Monster soon too
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 08 r6 (stock suspension). i'm 5'10 and i'm on my tippy toes wearing vans. i've always been able to flat foot every gsxr and cbr i've sat on.

ps: any idea on what a bone stock evo 8 (stock EVERYTHING) would run at rmr? given that it was properly launched (1.8 60 ft or better) and no gears missed.

Last edited by Terrible One; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have an R1 and I'm the same height as you and I can flat foot my bike. The newer yamahas are taller then the other manufactures but the older ones are way shorter. On my friends 2001 gsxr 750 I'm on my tippy-toes and its supposed to be a smaller bike with a lower seat height. I can flat foot mine cuz the seat shape is different and not as wide. So the seat height can be kinda vague because of that.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:12 PM

Ooo, do you work somewhere or something? I have an old Thule (I think) bike rack from my STi that I'd love to get switched on to my MINI but everywhere wants to charge and arm and a leg for it even though I don't need a FULL kit.

Ya i work at a rack specilty place called RackNRoad in midvale Ut. Come in and ask for austin and I can give anyone a good deal on this forum
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution IVGSR
Good luck man. WOW 6k is a lot for a buy back on your Evo being as damaged as it is Mine was closer to 4k and it was stripped of parts. No body damage.

I would have thought less on your buy back compared to mine. I know a friend bought his back with similar damage as yours about 3 years ago for $2700ish I believe. Doesn't make sense. Are you getting screwed on what they are paying you back for the totaled vehicle? I ended up getting nearly 4k less than what my car stock booked for

GSXR is my first choice and CBR is my second If I remember right stock GSXR's where lowest out of the 600's as far as seat height.

600's are a lot of bike for a beginner. I went from a 600 to a 1000 and I personally thought the 600 was more than enough bike for someone my size and ability.

Hey I may be getting a Ducati Monster soon too
I love my 600cc bike! Still way faster than I can open up through town without committing a felony!

They actually are offering me almost 20k for it, but I'm going to have an appraiser look at it and see if he comes back with anything different. I sent him all the receipts/items I put on the car and it totaled 21k! Ugh, I felt bad when I thought it was 15K! He's also going to look into salvage and see if it should be lower than that, so I guess it will be a little while longer before I have it settled. Sigh.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

yea im only around 5'6-5'7 at most, so i need something low that i can possibly drop down a inch or 2 hahah
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by austin21
Ya i work at a rack specilty place called RackNRoad in midvale Ut. Come in and ask for austin and I can give anyone a good deal on this forum
That's where I bought the STi rack from. I'll have to come in sometime.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

5'6" 5'7" is not bad at all for any bike, including dirt bikes. What you probably need is a good dose of riding 'something' in order to get the feel of how to put your paw out when stopping.

Imho ... I'm not a fan of the 600s. They are peaky, and in my opinion (take it for what its worth) you spend more time trying to keep them from peaking on the street than riding smoothly.

I like the larger displacement easier cammed bikes. Any twin above 750cc will hang with a screaming 600cc 4 cyl. Probably my fav. is the Street Triple from Triumph. Its all of the race parts for reliability and all of the comfort parts for proficient street riding.

Tucked in bars and a race position really starts to wear on your back and wrists in short order. If you note all of the professional riders, even though they are all over the bike in corners, they ALL have wide bars and bars raised as much as they can. The G-street crew keeps promoting tucked in / low bars which is absolute crap for feeling your front end, especially on the street. Add in the actuation of levers, throttle, and such and those tucked in bars are for posers.

I remember having a blast drag racing 600ccs between lights on my 450 EXC KTM. From 0 to 60 I would hang and at times pull on them. The 450 was the best in town bike ever. Large suspension, parks anywhere, and goes anywhere. Plenty of power, and super easy to ride. Was I able to flat foot it? No. I'm 5'10" .. but the bike was so slow in steering at low speed I could tip it ... if I had a brain fart and tipped the wrong way I could pop my leg off of the other side. It just took some careful riding to figure out the dynamic. Dirt bikes also have the advantage of if you tip them over, you're always putting on stickers and plastics and those are a matter of about 20 bucks. Just a thought.

FYI I run a Triumph Tiger 1050 right now and because of the seating, bars, and street presence I hang with most 1000s and all 600s right now. Sometimes its the Indian / not the arrow.

Bikes I suggest, streetable (not enduros):
Yamaha - FZ6
Honda - 599 (if you can find one)
Kawasaki Versus (spelling unknown)
Triumph - Street Triple (675)
(if you still want a sport bike)
Triumph - 675
Honda - CBR600F4i (should hopefully be low in cost now)
Suzuki - SV650
Suzuki - SV1000
Kawasaki - 636 - those extra 36cc and cam make a ton of difference for streetability.
Probably a few others, I need to think about it.
Suzuki - GSXR 750

Bikes to avoid (unless you put some bucks in screens, handlebars, seat, and pegs):
Yamaha - YZF-R6 - peaky son of a gun.
Suzuki GSXR anything (minus the GSXR750). Suzuki's are great on the numbers, but take a lot of setup to really make them streetable. They are hella powerful and really come with probably one of the worst crapload map and timing profiles. They are borderline unsafe with the way they are tuned. Bikes should be smooth and predictable.
Suzuki Banshee or Katana series. Parts binned PoS. You don't get the quality parts for the price.

~j.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info, i just figured for my price range which is 3k and under i was probably gonna only be able to find a slightly older 600

i like the way the cbr's and gsxr's look though, i could care less about how fast the bike is really i just want something to cruise on during summer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Terrible One
i have a 08 r6 (stock suspension). i'm 5'10 and i'm on my tippy toes wearing vans. i've always been able to flat foot every gsxr and cbr i've sat on.

ps: any idea on what a bone stock evo 8 (stock EVERYTHING) would run at rmr? given that it was properly launched (1.8 60 ft or better) and no gears missed.
Ya lower seat on those. Yamahas have always sat a bit higher.

I would say a bone stock Evo 8 could run a 14.7-15.0 at RMR

Originally Posted by mountainturbo
I love my 600cc bike! Still way faster than I can open up through town without committing a felony!

They actually are offering me almost 20k for it, but I'm going to have an appraiser look at it and see if he comes back with anything different. I sent him all the receipts/items I put on the car and it totaled 21k! Ugh, I felt bad when I thought it was 15K! He's also going to look into salvage and see if it should be lower than that, so I guess it will be a little while longer before I have it settled. Sigh.
WOW thats good for you. At least your not getting totally screwed like I did

I had around 17k into mine at one point. When my stuff was taken they got away with 6-7k in aftermarket parts

yea im only around 5'6-5'7 at most, so i need something low that i can possibly drop down a inch or 2 hahah
I'm 5'8" and fit well on the Honda and Suzuki

thanks for the info, i just figured for my price range which is 3k and under i was probably gonna only be able to find a slightly older 600

i like the way the cbr's and gsxr's look though, i could care less about how fast the bike is really i just want something to cruise on during summer
You should get one of those. I am only looking at getting this Ducati Monster since I can get it for less than 3k
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

They may sit higher but on my 01 its seat is more narrow and I can touch way better then the 01 cbr and gsxr
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by austin21
Ooo, do you work somewhere or something? I have an old Thule (I think) bike rack from my STi that I'd love to get switched on to my MINI but everywhere wants to charge and arm and a leg for it even though I don't need a FULL kit.

I work in Midvale as well and sometimes see a white Evo with euro badging. Is that you?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

All this bike talk really makes me wish I could get one... Combined with the weather today...

Anyone know if cars and coffee is still going on at all or anything?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

So my car, a 2011 RA, got egged last night/early morning in ogden and we know what an egg can do to crappy Mitsu paint. So if anyone can recommend me a bodyshop that does awesome work let me know. I live in the Layton area but I drive down to SLC for work. Also, must I file a police report for this? Called my insurance agent but he isn't picking up the phone.
Attached Thumbnails ***Official UT Chat Thread***-03312012162.jpg   ***Official UT Chat Thread***-03312012163.jpg   ***Official UT Chat Thread***-03312012164.jpg  
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Burnstormer
So my car, a 2011 RA, got egged last night/early morning in ogden and we know what an egg can do to crappy Mitsu paint. So if anyone can recommend me a bodyshop that does awesome work let me know. I live in the Layton area but I drive down to SLC for work. Also, must I file a police report for this? Called my insurance agent but he isn't picking up the phone.
****ty

Quick Reply: ***Official UT Chat Thread***