Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

New to the forum, just saying hi.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to the forum, just saying hi.

Hello,
My name is Oleg. I'm local to the SF Bay area so I figured I'd post in this forum.
I've picked up a 2010 GSR recently and have been going through the car... replacing filters, fluids, all that stuff (fuel relay, filters, glugs) Even though the car was bone stock when I picked it u, it looks like the original owner didn't really wrench on the car, and therefore, maintenance was done at it's minimum.
I'm not a stranger to wrenching on cars. I came from an s2000. I figured to give this trick AWD a shot and see if I'll like it long term. Plus I've heard good things about this car's performance at the track. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the EvoX at some point in the future.
Is there any pointers that you guys might tell me, as a noob, about the car? Any tips would be appreciated
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:13 PM

Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:16 PM

My old car
It was a blast at the track, but wasn't much of a daily anymore. Hopefully I will not make the same mistake again

Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome Based on your previous car, you will fit in well here w/your EvO. Glad to have you join us

Joe
Old Oct 17, 2016, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the Bay Area. What kind of tips are you looking for? Driving, modding or maintenance?
First I'd recommend checking your fuel pump relay in the drivers side fuse box under the hood. Here's a pic of the location of the relay

This relay was weak from the factory and could fail. Mitsu issued a technical bulletin on the issue and have updated the relay. The newest is orange, the previous upgrade was blue.
Have fun with the new toy!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:09 PM

Hi Dave! Tips on maintenance and upgrades mostly I guess. Thanks bringing up the relay. That that one of the things I replaced while going over the car for the first time.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:12 PM

Do you guys know if the stock cat on this car proven to be a restriction? A lot of OEM cats are pretty freeflowing nowdays. Does replacing it with hi flow unit bring any noticeable differences?

Does Evo X have any cooling issues at the track?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Olegator
Do you guys know if the stock cat on this car proven to be a restriction? A lot of OEM cats are pretty freeflowing nowdays. Does replacing it with hi flow unit bring any noticeable differences?

Yes replacing with a test pipe or HFC will show some gains. As far as cooling issues I don't think you'll have any. I never have other than my SST trans.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Olegator

Since you like to hit the track, I'd recommend that you bump up the maintenance intervals, like replacing spark plugs once a year ( be careful to torque them to 13 ft-lbs, the plugs are long and thin and tend to crack if overtorqued.) Have the driveline fluids replaced once a year, too. I also like using an upgraded oil cooler at the track, especially if the car has a tune and is making more power.

These cars respond nicely to basic mods like an intake, full exhaust, boost solenoid, injectors, fuel pump and a tune. If you want to turn the car into a track killer, also look into some of the smaller bolt on turbo upgrades, such as the GTX3071. Flex fuel tunes are also available for your car.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 04:21 PM

I'm going to try and stay within the abilities of the stock fuel system for now. Truthfully, I feel like the amount of power that the car has with the "Stage 1" Cobb tune is more than enough. I just want that power to be reliable and not cause any overheating issues down the road.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 04:23 PM

Is there any car meets that happen local to Berkeley that you guys tend to go to?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
There is an Evo meet this Thursday in San Jose. There will be a mix of old and new Evo owners.

We meet at the IN N OUT off of Coleman.

550 Newhall Drive, 95110
Old Oct 22, 2016, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a picture from the last meet.

Old Oct 23, 2016, 01:50 AM

Nice! I will definitely going to try and make it. Around what time do you guys meet?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

A good time to get there would be around 9. If you get there early then I will be there but most people show up later.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, just saying hi.