Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Need tires for tahoe this winter season. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tires for tahoe this winter season. Any suggestions?

If anyone has recommendations please state them below. Does anyone know any good places to buy tires as well. (In regards to price) Also, is there any other part i should buy if i bring my car to the snow, or are there any tips? Any special anti freezes...concoctions etc.... THANKS!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:10 PM

I have pirelli p-zero nero m+s

They are Mud and Snow rated, meaning that you should be fine with AWD and these tires in most conidtions unless they say severe snow, in that case EVERYONE will need chains regardless. I checked, and these were the highest rated dry traction for any M+S tires (tire rack has a write up). That said, you will notice a pretty big deterioration in dry traction. I screach on corners that I would have no issues with the stock advans.

The only better M+S tire that was told to me was the Michellin which are 2x the cost.

Pluses
Great in rain, good in snow
One of the best for dry traction
Treadware is awesome (I'd say 30k miles easy with aggressive driving)
M+S and AWD means you can drive on roads without chains at most resorts unless its a severe snow condition

Bad
Dry traction is not near the level of advans
I think thats it??

Cost was about 130 a tire for 18/235. I have extra rims, so I just drive on these as daily use and keep the advans for the track. Sad thing is I always wish I was on the advans on the street since I dont hit the mountains as often as I like. If you are not always in bad weather, I recomend getting better dry tires (hey we are in cali.. it always good weather), and suckin it up with chains as needed.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:13 PM

One last note.. when I go to mammoth etc.. I'm still bringing chains just in case =) I prefer to be safe.. Im sure those chain guys dont carry big *** chains all that often.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:35 PM

Thanks for your input! ...also have you actually put on chains on your evo? I wanna make sure its not gonna rip apart the car lol... also...if i was to get more wheels which should i get for my snow ones.