Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Boost "Control" Flashes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Works cars are faster than similarly modded cars from Dynoflash and Vishnu? Is that the point here or are they safer? Or are they both faster and safer? Hypothetically, u are saying holding boost till redline the "Works Way" is faster and safer. Empiracal evidence tells another story, however, Works is a fine product for the conservative minded that wants to be kinda fast but not "Crazy Fast". Your P2+ or whatever is cool but FYI the Evo engine can take high doses of Boost and survive for long periods of time. If u were tooning STIs, I would agree with your conservative approach, but the Evo can take a lickin and keep on tickin.OUT! Opps, I almost forgot "Drink Up"!

Last edited by IE Evo; Dec 13, 2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
It has the same problem outlined above. While the maps max out the boost solenoid, it can't overcome the limitations of the OEM lines.
Hi Jamie,
If the system operates at 100% without reaching the desired boost, we simply install a tiny fitting in the boost line, in series with the solenoid. The passive bleed (from this fitting) + the bleed from the solenoid = sufficient bleed to induce any reasonable amount of boost. We chose this route simply because it is easier to install/remove than installing new boost lines altogether. The only down side is that little suckers cost us $6 each to machine out of billet aluminum

-shiv

ps. Ignore IE
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Oh boy...
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

When using the WORKS P2, would there be any benefit (spool, hold, etc) to adding an after market waste gate actuator?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

If your below 24psi I see no need for an aftermarket waste gate actuator at all.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I believe the works team is just simply pointing out that this type of tune is safe, reliable, and strong.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

If its worth anything, I used an AEM EMS at one time on a stock car (with exhaust), put the boost control solenoid to 100% duty cycle, and it held boost around 18-19 psi with no taper. I'll have to find the log
Old Dec 15, 2005, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

When road racing I see 23 psi on my boost gauge all day long, with spikes as high as 26 psi. I was hoping a higher quality WGA (like the forge unit) might further stabilize the boost curve, providing earlier spool up, less peaking, and a steadier "flat spot". I'm working towards making my car as responsive and predictable as possible - at any rpm - much more so than peak horse power, but I have no experience if a WGA would help with that or not?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by IE Evo
So Works cars are faster than similarly modded cars from Dynoflash and Vishnu? Is that the point here or are they safer? Or are they both faster and safer? Hypothetically, u are saying holding boost till redline the "Works Way" is faster and safer. Empiracal evidence tells another story, however, Works is a fine product for the conservative minded that wants to be kinda fast but not "Crazy Fast". Your P2+ or whatever is cool but FYI the Evo engine can take high doses of Boost and survive for long periods of time. If u were tooning STIs, I would agree with your conservative approach, but the Evo can take a lickin and keep on tickin.OUT! Opps, I almost forgot "Drink Up"!
There's no claim of WORKS vehicles being faster (unless you count the Time Attack EVO ). We're simply stating that to get proper boost control, you must engineer something outside of the factory setup. We recognized this years ago whereas others have been in denial for some time. Holding boost to redline is true and proper boost control. Yes, true and proper is the WORKS way. "Crazy fast" is not our goal. We'd rather run a sensible boost level and tune the timing and fuel accordingly rather than push the stock turbo well into the realm of inefficiency. We'll save the higher boost levels for the turbos that can take advantage of it.

Yes, the 4G63 has been and continues to be a stout platform, but things can still go wrong. This is part of the reason the Mitsubishi engineers allow the ECU to control boost. In a "worst case" scenario, things can be reigned back in with the software. Whereas an external boost "control" device has no communication with the ECU and could lead to detrimental results given the same "worst case" scenario. Call us conservative if you must. I prefer reliable

Last edited by Jamie@WORKS; Dec 17, 2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by voidhawk
When using the WORKS P2, would there be any benefit (spool, hold, etc) to adding an after market waste gate actuator?
The software would have to be modified for the actuator. If the aftermarket wastegate has a higher spring rate vs. stock, it will open later and would more than likely lead to higher boost levels. As MrMejia stated, there shouldn't be a need for an aftermarket actuator at OEM boost levels. Elevated boost on a race fuel setup could benefit from the stiffer actuator.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

I just recently got a p2r flash. I've been reading about those who have a works flash, logged some knocking during the dyno day at eip or gruppe-s.

I'm a little concerned and very curious to see my car will log down. i hope the knock that others are experiencing is just isolated or due to bad gas.

any advice as what to do if i'm logging down knock?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tirbolag9
I just recently got a p2r flash. I've been reading about those who have a works flash, logged some knocking during the dyno day at eip or gruppe-s.

I'm a little concerned and very curious to see my car will log down. i hope the knock that others are experiencing is just isolated or due to bad gas.

any advice as what to do if i'm logging down knock?

Thanks in advance.
yeah me too i wanna know if im knocking..
last time i heard was at the eip/speedelement dyno day some guy with works flash..has some amazing knocks..
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dizhungryguy
yeah me too i wanna know if im knocking..
last time i heard was at the eip/speedelement dyno day some guy with works flash..has some amazing knocks..

yeh, i saw that. dam i hope i didn't pay a grip just to get knocks all up and down the powerband
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

We've had concerned customers with their vehicles on some bay-area dynos. It starts out that they are told something is "wrong" and then they come back to us. We have taken the time to set up proper diagnostic equipment on the car and do real-world tests in a variety of conditions and then take a deep, hard look at the data. In the past, nothing has been seen that would indicate a "bad" tune or anything else out of the ordinary. It could be bad gas, it could be the artificial environment of the dyno itself or some other variable.

However, if anyone is at all concerned about how their vehicle is performing, please contact us here at the shop and we can set up an appointment to perform datalogging, diagnostics, etc... and make software changes if need be. We stand by all WORKS products and are here to provide improved, reliable power both today and for years to come.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

kool.

Last edited by tirbolag9; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Boost "Control" Flashes