Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Question about Boost control with the WORKS ECU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DavidV,
That was some very needed info on my part. I was planing on adding a MBC this month, but after reading your statement. I will not be getting one. I feel you have the best interest in the public an that is a BOUNS.

Originally posted by DavidV@WORKS
If and when this increased boost option becomes available, current WORKS Brain flash owners will not be left with an "obsolete" Flash program and will be offered a cost-effective upgrade.
-- DavidV
I want my name FIRST on the list for a flash to increase the boost.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 06:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call 2nd, really, I bet you can make so much more HP , atleast 20WHP on top of what you have now, figure 10HP per PSI. And proper tuning, comon, man, hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Damn. No guinea pigs? I would volunteer to be a guinea pig for this one.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:44 AM
slt
Evolved Member

I call 3rd. Are you going to release the new flash at your dyno day in September?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DavidV@WORKS
Gentlemen,

Let's keep this civilized. Name calling and flaming will not be tolerated on the WORKS forum.

We value everyone's input, but that is not the image we want associated with WORKS. Let's show everyone we're above that.

To answer the question at hand, it is probably the worst kept secret in the industry that WORKS has been in active development of a Brain flash upgrade for some time now and that this upgrade will increase boost through the boost mapping available within the factory ECU (no add-on boost controllers needed).

However, until that long-term evaluation is complete, we will not be at liberty to disclose much more information. Our methodology is slow, painstaking and very detail oriented. We would never treat our customers as guinea pigs -- when you receive a product from WORKS, it has already gone through long term testing and extreme conditions testing to ensure that it is 100% safe before the customer ever sees it.

The Brain flash that is currently out should not be used with a boost controller. That is our official WORKS recommendation to our customers. It is simply not designed for extra boost, and running additional boost should only be done at your own risk and with the understanding that serious repercussions could result -- including terminal motor damage.

While some of our customers have elected to ignore this recommendation, and will no doubt attempt to increase boost on their own, they would be wise to do so in a controlled environment (aka on the Dyno) while monitoring AF/Rs, EGTs, and preferably, data-logging.

However, it is our recommendation that Brain flash users sit tight for the time being, until an official announcement has been made from WORKS headquarters. Rest assured that we have your interests in mind as EVO enthusiasts -- both in terms of performance and reliability -- and that we are here to serve your needs. If and when this increased boost option becomes available, current WORKS Brain flash owners will not be left with an "obsolete" Flash program and will be offered a cost-effective upgrade.

-- DavidV
David,

Great answer. I do have a quetions thow. If you were to offer a boost control update on your Brain would there be a charge to Flash the updated set up for a past costmer. I do understand that a costomer can have on flash for free after the first one.

Thanks Eric

Oh PS. what is the leanest A/F have you seen with the brain on 93oct.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

yup, I really want the works flash w/ additional boost management.. Even if its holding 19 ~ 20 to redline. Reliability is good.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:06 AM

Hi David,

I'm about to pick up an EVO and after the break-in period would really like to do a few stealthy mods (I have my other car for crazy HP stuff) and yoru chip with higher boost sounds perfect. Just wondering if you guys will possible offer a switchable solution? One where I can go from 91-100 octane.. I'm based in San Jose so you guys are in the right place..

I don't want to be messing about manually etc.. tuning stuff and I just don't want all kinds of visable gizmos for the *****y dealers we have in Cali to reject warranty work.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:33 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sharkster
Just wondering if you guys will possible offer a switchable solution? One where I can go from 91-100 octane..
Coming from the VW community, I am very interested in this as well. A "valet program" would be nice as well that would pull timing and boost. I'm not sure how receptive the EVO would be to this.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by umiami80
Davids guys HAVE, and as you know the more timing advance, the less room for detonation there is, and this is based on your opinion? DO you have a flash? Then why are you making up false info?
Not making up false info at all ... I simply stated that you should test and set your mbc or ebc on a dyno with wideband o2 if you are interested in finding if more boost, or at least steady boost all the way to redline will work with the reflash. I got a litte hot because you were nagging about nobody replying to your question ... and it is common sense to conclude that just about any special tune or set-up should be tested on a dyno before using on the street.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be looking forward for the ecu flash with boost upgrade along with the throttle body. Once they are ready, I'll be there!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 06:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...just got beat... need more power... soon...

Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus
...just got beat... need more power... soon...

I hate it when that happens.

On the flip-side its always a good incentive to justify(at least in your mind) buying more go-fast parts!

Unfortunately this heat really makes Evo's run like $hit!
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

There is no magic to make higher boost without pushing the knock threshold lower. Works has plans to develop a water injection system as mentioned on their web site. As most of you know, these systems allow very aggrssive ignition curves, eliminate the need to dump fuel for cooling (slowing) combustion and will allow outrageous boost levels. I ask Dave about the one Works has promised and it is on the agenda. Hopefully it will be available by Decmber. Aquamist has one of these units but it uses different size nozzles to adjust the fuel water ratio and there are no maps for it you must do your own tunning. Hopefully the works unit will use a digital system. Volumetric efficiency will not be compromised (as one of the other tunners on this site suggests) because you can replace the excess fuel used for knock suppression with more of less 1/6 that amount of water thus SAVING space in the combustion chamber. Not to mention obvious economic advantages to to water vs gas prices. The system only requires one or two gallons per tank of fuel. Get those boys busy Dave, will ya please.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...great for the racer and more hard core street cars... I'd prefer to have a better (no fuss) replacement intercooler. I believe there will be more owners than Works expects that will not want water injection on their daily driver (maybe after they get it). Again, great results, but not for everyone.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah i'm sorry, but I just don't like the idea of water going in the engine. Hate to see what that would do to a warranty. hehe. I'll probably just go for a larger intercooler.

Quick Reply: Question about Boost control with the WORKS ECU