Notices

Spring install help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring install help

So I just installed a set of eibach pro kit lowering springs, every since the front passenger side has been making a clunk/popping noise. I've taken the whole thing apart and reassembled it and still hear the noise. Everything is bolted down tight and I just don't get what could be causing this issue. Any ideas or help would be great as I am stuck.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
1. Is the strut top mount bolt tight? Did you use an impact wrench? Cycle the spring and then check torque again?

2. Check the swap bar link torques (give them a shake test)?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:50 PM

Yes the top mount bolt is tight. At first when I went to tighten it, the whole shock would just spinbut I added some force and tightened that down good. I've double checked the endlinks and they seem tight, you can't really torque them due to that u need to wrench it and use an allen but I got them pretty tight. Just so confused by this whole thing. At slow speeds and over bumps I just get this clunking noise, it like pops and sorta sounds like something could be loose. Also seems to be a lot of play in the steering. It's going to the shop next week but I would still like to figure it out before then.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Huh!

And you checked the strut-to lower arm bolt torque too? Play there could cause it as well...

If it is good, yeah, perhaps a shop is a good idea at this point. You will have covered the obvious stuff.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:46 AM

Did you line the end of the spring up with the notch at the bottom of the shock?
Take some pics and post them up. Maybe you have a faulty spring. Check the thickness and length of the spring with the other side. Also where the coil starts and ends.

Last edited by DavidAnthony; Aug 29, 2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Add more
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:47 AM

Id bet theres a slight misalignment in the top hat assembly. On my mazda theres a way you can easily assemble the top hat backwards, not sure but theres not many other things that could be wrong and you can still drive it..

And sometimes you just get a little noise with new springs/shocks. My KWs make a little noise when cold, it happens.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 03:47 AM

sorry for the delay but after going to the shop they found that the top hat wasnt sitting correctly causing the spring to bind. too think it was something so simple. Thanks for all the feedback and im stoked the noise is finally gone