Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

When to Shift to 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to Shift to 2nd?

Back when I had an FP red I had no problems. Now that I have a 3582 and am spinning through the top of first - i cant seem to shift and stay in boost.

How do you guys know when to shift if you're spinning and the rpms are fluttering? I also have sheps final drive so I need to shift as late as possible. If I'm already rolling in first and I floor it, I can shift just fine at around 8200 and stay in boost. When I launch though the tires spin and the rpms flutter around 8000. I tried to watch the mph but that seems to be a little inaccurate also.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
2 step
Ride clutch somewhat.
Let it spin and redline for like 3 times. And then throw it in second on the redline pop to have that turbo spooling.

I play with my throttle to control spin let off and on kinda like a abs pulsewidth.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

"Let it spin and redline for like 3 times" - WTF kind of advice is that I've seen people spinning through first at the track without letting off the gas. I'm just wondering how they know when to shift.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Uhmmmm what a waste of a reply. People like you kill it for others on the forum.

WTF kinda question is when to shift to 2nd? What a knob.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon831
"Let it spin and redline for like 3 times" - WTF kind of advice is that I've seen people spinning through first at the track without letting off the gas. I'm just wondering how they know when to shift.
Based on that response seems like you really don't want help, at least not from him. Sounds like you need more seat time to be honest.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Letting the car bounce off the limiter a few times helps you get the car moving, and keeps the momentum.

When you launch and your spinning the car is obviously moving forward but your not achieving the mph the gear is capable of, if you shift right away and you shift fast, you get into second and hook but most people don't get it in gear fast enough to keep the momentum and the car bogs or has a little delay getting back into the power. The first 60ft and your 1-2 tell the whole story of your pass.

When I do a pass on drag radials, I let the car spin for a moment and if it starts to hook and go I'll let it eat and run to the top of first and then bang second. If it spins and is not going to hook at all I let it bounce a few times and then bang it in to get the car hooking and actually covering pavement.

I watch people with not a lot of experience at the track launch, and then jump right to second before their barely out of the tree and the cars bog terribly because realistically they're doing maybe 25-30mph but the gauge says different because of how much spinning is happening.

Just my 3 cents.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Uhmmmm what a waste of a reply. People like you kill it for others on the forum.

WTF kinda question is when to shift to 2nd? What a knob.

Maybe it's the emoticon making it seem like I was being an ***. I think it was the "lol" one. I meant it in a funny way, not as an insult. Sorry if you took that personal. Where's your sense of humor knob? lol

Anyways thanks for the response. Also yes.. I do need more seat time. As I said when I had on the fp red I didnt have this problem. Now that I have a little more power I need to do things differently and am just looking for a few tips. Now lighten up and have a nice day!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon831
I looked at your post a day or so ago and didn't respond then because all I wanted to say was, "search, people who can't drive have asked this question plenty of times before." I didn't bother because typically morons like you break their drive train pretty quickly, max out their credit cards trying to fix everything, break stuff again, then sell their cars for cheap because they can't afford their own stupidity.

I like people like you because you keep shops is business and help actual drivers get shells to turn into race cars.

I'm typing to you now, not to tell you how to fix your shortcomings as a driver, but rather to point out your shortcomings as a person. You suck. You should apologize to the nice person who took the time to answer your moronic question and then go somewhere else. I don't know where, because no matter where you go you'll make it worse, but just leave here. Sell your evo now and go away.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
I looked at your post a day or so ago and didn't respond then because all I wanted to say was, "search, people who can't drive have asked this question plenty of times before." I didn't bother because typically morons like you break their drive train pretty quickly, max out their credit cards trying to fix everything, break stuff again, then sell their cars for cheap because they can't afford their own stupidity.

I like people like you because you keep shops is business and help actual drivers get shells to turn into race cars.

I'm typing to you now, not to tell you how to fix your shortcomings as a driver, but rather to point out your shortcomings as a person. You suck. You should apologize to the nice person who took the time to answer your moronic question and then go somewhere else. I don't know where, because no matter where you go you'll make it worse, but just leave here. Sell your evo now and go away.
Well, first off I'd like to ask you to please read my earlier post where I apologized to anyone who may have interpreted my post as anything other than humor. Have you never said "wtf" in a joking manner? It was a joke! However it is sad that you have to resort to name calling and personal insults ("morons like you""shortcomings as a person" - do you see the irony in that one?) I assure you your assumption about my financial situation is in fact the exact opposite of reality.

Anyways to keep this post at least somewhat on topic - thanks for the tips 4b11slayer and AWD96.