Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Injector "gunk" and E-85

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to cross-pollinate this a bit, there's an ongoing thread of apparently one person having issues with some PTE injectors, although I'm not at all clear it's the same problem:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...85-beware.html
Old Apr 1, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is misinformation being spread around that this is only affecting pintle style injectors. That is untrue. There are people with the new Bluemax (ball seat) injectors having this issue. There are people with the old FIC 950's (ball seat) having this issue. The pictures you posted look like the typical FIC injectors with the belled out tip on it, that are not pintle style. It is not tied to one style of injector.

FWIW, I've been running E85 for 2.5 years now, with pintle style blue top 1600's, and have zero build-up. At this point, it appears to be pointing more towards the fuel itself, and more so which station you are getting the fuel from. I stick to one station, and will continue to stick to that station as I have seen no build-up.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen...1506309-1.html
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

And a followup, since that's from 2005: http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen...1506395-1.html
Old Apr 3, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I remember RC Engineering saying if you're running E85, it will require more cleanings compared to if you're running gasoline. However, i do not know why they made that suggestion.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

as other poster suggested it looks like rubber or plastic from the injector that eroded or rotted who knows though?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone thought of this - could the E85 be slowly degrading the stock fuel lines from the inside? The particles of rubber then accumulate on the end of the injectors??

I know AMS tested the stock fuel system by soaking it in a tank of ethanol for a long time and did not see any issues. . . don't remember if this included the stock rubber lines. . .

This is probably not the cause - but just a thought. . .
Old Apr 9, 2009, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

According to testing done by one member on the other forum, this is something that was present in the fuel prior to being added to the fuel system, and was confirmed by one other member with a rudimentary boiling-off test.

More information: http://www.lubrizol.com/press-room/m...onProc2-08.pdf

A series of 5,000-mile tests were conducted on FFVs using varied mixtures of ethanol and gasoline. The results showed that with no additive present, ethanol impacts the amount of intake-valve deposits (IVDs) formed in the engine. At lower ethanol levels, such as E10 (10% ethanol), IVD actually increases to higher levels than in gasoline alone. At higher ethanol levels, the IVD level decreases to the level found in gasoline, or even lower, as shown in Fig. 2. However, as mentioned previously, gasoline and E10 blends are commonly treated to reduce these IVD levels to much lower levels. However, E85 does not normally contain deposit-control additives.
Also note figure 4, which shows the level of deposits vs. fuel treated with a deposit control additive.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by logic
Just to cross-pollinate this a bit, there's an ongoing thread of apparently one person having issues with some PTE injectors, although I'm not at all clear it's the same problem:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...85-beware.html
As I know of I have not heard of any more issues on this, but I will say it is wierd to have so many little cases arise. Oh and precison will not warrenty E85 issues.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I found the "gunk" on some of my injectors today. These have about 2k miles on them. They are FIC 1150's. Also I am using e85 compliant fuel line, fuel rail, and FPR on this setup.

Name:  IMG_0412.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.8 KB

Last edited by RAbishi; Nov 7, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dip them in pump gasoline and see if it dissolves and how quickly. Let us know.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Dip them in pump gasoline and see if it dissolves and how quickly. Let us know.
I already cleaned it off with a q-tip and some acetone. If it happens again I can try it... but I hope that's not the case!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that is pretty unbelievable. I have to take off my Precision 1200s and take a look. I never heard problems with the ball and seat injectors and E85. Good thread, a heads up to Ethanol users everywhere. The thing that is interesting is it appears that two of those injectors appear clean, the other two look gunked up. Do you remember which spots on the intake manifold they came from, would be interesting to see what the inside of the fuel rail looks like...

I too thought E85 ran cleaner than conventional gasoline, it is pretty obvious from the cylinder and spark plug comparison from an Ethanol engine and a normal Gasoline engine, way cleaner. To me it seems like either rubber fuel lines or fuel pump housing gunk found its way to the tip of the injector and caked up. Just my two cents. B.S. in Organic Chemistry, 1 year into my Masters...
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ID 1000's are compatible with E, correct? I'm thinking about changing over to those.....they seem like the best quality injectors on the market.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Wow, that is pretty unbelievable. I have to take off my Precision 1200s and take a look. I never heard problems with the ball and seat injectors and E85. Good thread, a heads up to Ethanol users everywhere. The thing that is interesting is it appears that two of those injectors appear clean, the other two look gunked up. Do you remember which spots on the intake manifold they came from, would be interesting to see what the inside of the fuel rail looks like...

I too thought E85 ran cleaner than conventional gasoline, it is pretty obvious from the cylinder and spark plug comparison from an Ethanol engine and a normal Gasoline engine, way cleaner. To me it seems like either rubber fuel lines or fuel pump housing gunk found its way to the tip of the injector and caked up. Just my two cents. B.S. in Organic Chemistry, 1 year into my Masters...
I pulled my FIC 1050s after a year on E85 (only ran gasoline twice during the year), and mine came out spotless. If you do some more more reading in this thread, in EvoM, and on the internet, you'll find its not caused by any hardware.

Quick Reply: Injector "gunk" and E-85