Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Injector "gunk" and E-85

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^It all depends on where you get your e85 from.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Wow, that is pretty unbelievable. I have to take off my Precision 1200s and take a look. I never heard problems with the ball and seat injectors and E85. Good thread, a heads up to Ethanol users everywhere. The thing that is interesting is it appears that two of those injectors appear clean, the other two look gunked up. Do you remember which spots on the intake manifold they came from, would be interesting to see what the inside of the fuel rail looks like...

I too thought E85 ran cleaner than conventional gasoline, it is pretty obvious from the cylinder and spark plug comparison from an Ethanol engine and a normal Gasoline engine, way cleaner. To me it seems like either rubber fuel lines or fuel pump housing gunk found its way to the tip of the injector and caked up. Just my two cents. B.S. in Organic Chemistry, 1 year into my Masters...
These actually came off of my mr2, and it was the middle two cylinders. I put the injectors in the same order that I took them out. I thought it was very strange how the outer two injectors had nothing on them. I am running FIC 1050cc injectors in my evo, and they now have a few thousand miles of e85 on them. I might have to pull them one of these days and see what they look like.

Originally Posted by Gamble
^^It all depends on where you get your e85 from.
Most gas stations probably get it from the same distributor/ethanol plant.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAbishi
Most gas stations probably get it from the same distributor/ethanol plant.
Yes, I think it is true, provided they are from the same brand, like Verasun (out here for us) etc. It would be a logistics nightmare to have to do a bunch of different dilutions for each climate where the fuel was going, so they probably have a regional plant a that takes care of one specific part of the U.S.. It is possible that they could sell to other distributors too, so maybe most gas stations should have the same batch. I am not sure, just speculating. This in no was also says what happens when it is dropped off at the station, or what the condition of the holding tanks are...

Originally Posted by mrfred
I pulled my FIC 1050s after a year on E85 (only ran gasoline twice during the year), and mine came out spotless. If you do some more more reading in this thread, in EvoM, and on the internet, you'll find its not caused by any hardware.
Thank you sir, I was worried for a second. I have read mostly threads who praise E85 for its cleanliness and ease of use on systems usually intended for 93 (or whichever) octane. I was just VERY surprised when I opened the thread and saw ALL THAT GUNK on a newer appearing ball and seat injector after only 2,000 miles. Definitely eye opening. Thought maybe someone had stumbled onto a specific injector who wasn't E85 friendly, wether it be the seating washer, or some other plastic part. Just made me fear for my poor cars life!

Last edited by buchnerj; Nov 8, 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Ryan,

Damn! I was questioning whether we'd have this issue up here or not. Now this is another thing I'm going to have to check over the winter.

I am curious if gasoline would dissolve the "gunk" as other people have suggested doing.
If that's true, maybe running on straight 93 octane once every couple months would prevent the gunk from building up too much...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
I am curious if gasoline would dissolve the "gunk" as other people have suggested doing.
If that's true, maybe running on straight 93 octane once every couple months would prevent the gunk from building up too much...
That's why I suggested it.

Supposedly in a thread on Colorado DSM, a chemist analyzed the precipitate and found that it dissolves in gasoline. I haven't checked that thread in a while, but I think he may be working with a company on a solution.

But, if gasoline easily dissolves it, then running a tank of pump gas every once in a while should clean it up until a final root cause and solution is found.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And just adding a gallon or two of high grade gasoline to the E85 mix will also do the job, since it can shift the precipitation point of the gum, which is actually part of the gasoline part of the mix, not the ethanol part of the blend...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wasn't this from certain gas stations that used a tank that they already had but had a lining that isn't compatible with e85?...
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Ryan,

Damn! I was questioning whether we'd have this issue up here or not. Now this is another thing I'm going to have to check over the winter.

Brent,

I tried calling you on Saturday to tell you about this. But now that I have the motor further apart, I can see the buildup is also on the intake ports of the head and valves too. So I am going to see if gasoline or seafoam removes it. If gas removes it then I will just run it every so often to clean out the motor.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Brent,

I tried calling you on Saturday to tell you about this. But now that I have the motor further apart, I can see the buildup is also on the intake ports of the head and valves too. So I am going to see if gasoline or seafoam removes it. If gas removes it then I will just run it every so often to clean out the motor.
Sounds good Ryan. I just saw your missed call when I got back in town today.

Let me know what you find out. I may just run a mixture of E85 and some 93oct the next week or two just in case.

Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:59 PM

So does it hold true that running some 93 octane through the car for a few tanks will sufficiently clean the injectors?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm concerned!!!.......I have been exploring the changes needed to get my 9 ready for E85.....Map switch cable via our member here & the GroupS solenoid needed for the tune......I contacted my Tuner & was ready to go until I started looking into this injector contamination issue.

I spent the last hour searching the WEB & reading about compliant E85 vehicles / E85 corrosion / metal fuel lines & tanks.....It has stopped my E85 progress dead in its tracks for now

I am not an Engineer or Chemist but I am in the mechanical field & feel that this "Gunk" is nothing more than fuel line / fuel tank degradation.....WTH, I am not happy enough to pursue the "Switch" to E85.....I need more positive info before I go fwd w/ the Mod.......My .02 added........Peace
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
More than two years (probably appoaching three years) of people running E85 in Evos, and the only known E85 incompatibility is one of the flex hoses in the fuel tank of an Evo 10.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minus, I offer two data points for your consideration:

1. There are numerous threads on this forum about EVO's successfully running on E85.

2. There are no threads about EVO's not running successfully on E85.

Who has been using E85 longest.

Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I'm concerned!!!.......I have been exploring the changes needed to get my 9 ready for E85.....Map switch cable via our member here & the GroupS solenoid needed for the tune......I contacted my Tuner & was ready to go until I started looking into this injector contamination issue.

I spent the last hour searching the WEB & reading about compliant E85 vehicles / E85 corrosion / metal fuel lines & tanks.....It has stopped my E85 progress dead in its tracks for now

I am not an Engineer or Chemist but I am in the mechanical field & feel that this "Gunk" is nothing more than fuel line / fuel tank degradation.....WTH, I am not happy enough to pursue the "Switch" to E85.....I need more positive info before I go fwd w/ the Mod.......My .02 added........Peace
Its the fuel itself, not the fuel system.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7130859-post61.html

Well, here is what I did just so everyone is clear. I filled a 40mL vial with E85 and blew it dry with nitrogen gas and mild heating (about 150*F). After there was no fuel left, I placed it under high vacuum to remove any remaining volatiles for about an hour. I was left with a clear sticky residue that smelled bad - like nasty frying oil. I dissolved this sample in the NMR solvent and analyzed it and it IS the same goo that was on the injector. There was smaller amounts of some other stuff in it as well, but the same peaks I saw in the black goo were in this residue. The black goo IS coming from the E85. It isn't naturally black, though. I suspect it just has soot mixed in with it that is giving it the color.

So the next challenge is figuring out why is this crap in our fuel, and if it is in everyone's fuel (particularly people who aren't having this problem).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Its the fuel itself, not the fuel system.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7130859-post61.html
Thanks, That is encouraging for sure!!

Question....I posted this gunk issue on our local forum & one of our respected Guru's noted that the EVO does have a metal fuel tank & E85 compliant fuel lines.......Does that sound correct to you guys?.....I always thought the tank was molded plastic

Quick Reply: Injector "gunk" and E-85