Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Injector "gunk" and E-85

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Do You always buys E85 from the same station? - Yes
*What station- city, brand, and phone # - Gulf, Canton, MA

Put some of your E85 in a CLEAN GLASS jar and hold up to the sun or white light-
*What is the color- Absolute water clear? Looks clear to me when filling with my clear filler hose
*Is there any murky appearance? again looks clear
NICE TO ALSO KNOW;
What can you tell us about your mods;
*Injector brand, type - ID1000 (old) FIC 1100 (new)
*Fuel pressures - 43.5 OE FPR
*Boost max- 24 psi
*Fuel pump - Walbro 255
*Filter type- brand, specs-ie: OE filters/materials unknown
*Tank construction- steel, poly, aluminum fuel cell, stainless fuel cell, foam type insert? - stock, steel, appears to be lined.
*Timing as compared to standard OEM - generally more then OEM
Any other data you feel may be revelant - 6-10 tanks of e85.-injectors clean when I pulled them out, but made the TB sticky. I think the ethanol dissolved a lot of the crap from the EGR in the intake mani and it pooled around the TB and congealed with way to much fuel during SD and injector tuning.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks 95630706-- TB cleaned off readily with gasoline or carb cleaner?

Color cannot be determined without being in a clean glass jar- E85 summer version made with gasoline will have so little gas in it that the color may appear clear until you get it in glass- even clear plastic will distort more than one thinks. Summer E85 made with normally available pump gas will have a very slight yellow tinge as a rule (most but not all gasolines are yellow/straw in color). E85 made with natural gasoline is generally totally water clear due to the ultra low sulfur specification in that product. Why do I care to know? -- it helps to pinpoint the gasoline type where the problem might exist. If it always appears in slight yellow tinged E85 then we can narrow down to additives.
Old May 3, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1outlaw
Thanks 95630706-- TB cleaned off readily with gasoline or carb cleaner?

Color cannot be determined without being in a clean glass jar- E85 summer version made with gasoline will have so little gas in it that the color may appear clear until you get it in glass- even clear plastic will distort more than one thinks. Summer E85 made with normally available pump gas will have a very slight yellow tinge as a rule (most but not all gasolines are yellow/straw in color). E85 made with natural gasoline is generally totally water clear due to the ultra low sulfur specification in that product. Why do I care to know? -- it helps to pinpoint the gasoline type where the problem might exist. If it always appears in slight yellow tinged E85 then we can narrow down to additives.
Yep, wiped right up a little gas on a rag. Looked like partially dissolved sludge. No problems once I got the cold starts and injectors dialed in. I'll pull them out again in a week or two and take another look. It's also a lot warmer here now.

Well noted on color. I'll take a look at some in a jar.

BTW. I talk to the owner of the station quiite a bit and he swears its 85% ethanol 15% gas all year round which surprised as it gets pretty cold during the winter here in New England.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

You are correct that it is not supposed to be the same % all year. In reality he is making cold starts a bit more difficult for those with FFV's- that was the purpose for adding for gas as temps drop (it raises vapor pressure and ignitability since pure ethanol has only a vapor pressure of 2.3 # vs seasonal E85 at 8.5 # the spark lights the gas off first- pure ethanol is hard to light below 40-50 degrees). Oh well- it makes your tuning simpler as long as you have ok cold starts. It staying constant is perfect for the carb boys.

I do follow the federal guidelines, my FFV sits outside here in Wisconsin, and it starts as quick and sure as if it was drinking gasoline no matter if it is -25 or not.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've ran e85 for about 3months now on bosch 1680cc injectors. 100% e85, hasnt seen pump gas since i've converted.

pulled my intake manifold off yesterday and injector tips are clean as ever.
maybe has to do w/ me spraying water injection as well, idk. but none the less, my inj, and valves look brand new.

in case fuel line matters, i run JEGS push-lok hose that is submerged in the tank 247.

fwiw, all gas is gotten from the Valero station in Hayward, CA (i know we got a bunch of norcal evo folks on here, so figured id post the station).
Old May 19, 2010, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mine are also perfect. i pulled a plug from my motor and could still see the markings on the piston where buschur marked it with a magic marker after 1000 miles on the motor
Old May 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

is this something to sweat if your looking to switch to E, because I dont need any more issues
Old May 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
is this something to sweat if your looking to switch to E, because I dont need any more issues
It is so rare that I would not let it hold me back at all. I would however take some precautions by changing fuel filters agressively until you have been thru the first 3-5 tanks of E85. This should help capture much of the newly dissolved gas deposits that may have been clinging inside your fuel tank IF you have only been running no ethanol gas up until now.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Mabe the fuel filter issue could be linked to the gunk problem, seeing as a lot of people look past the little stuff that could cause issues.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I found a new ethanol fuel conditioner that's made by Lucas.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...how&headTitle= - Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner & Stabilizer

I just can't seem to find any local retailers that have it in stock.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROGERV
I found a new ethanol fuel conditioner that's made by Lucas.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...how&headTitle= - Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner & Stabilizer

I just can't seem to find any local retailers that have it in stock.
Anyone know if cleaners like these are safe? Has anyone used something similar?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Just checked my injectors today and they were as clean as new.

FIC Bluemax 1250 installed on day of conversion
Approximate miles put on since conversion 120
Full tank of E85 = 13.6 gal (approx. ~0.4 gal was still left in reserve)
Same gas station used for all the fill ups.

Now what I am curious about these E-85 gunk build ups that some people are experiencing is how do you run your PCV ?

For the longest time now, I have been venting to atmosphere for both PCV's (driver & passenger side) . This way my intercooler, piping, and intake manifold are bone dry from blow by oil vapors. Since there were reports of gunk build up just 20-40 miles of conversion, I'm thinking could this gunk be caused due to the pcv oil vapors?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I run mine in the factory config. No gunk on the injectors.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I run mine in the factory config. No gunk on the injectors.
How about the EGR ? Disabled or still recirculating exhaust gasses?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:52 AM

I guess maybe a dual stage tune would be ideal for keeping your injectors up to par? run E85 and 91 then when you feel like cleaning them go to your 91 tune and run some injector cleaner with it?

Quick Reply: Injector "gunk" and E-85