Notices
ECU Flash

ignition timing trims

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattjin
They are the same maps from what I can see, but change the address to 4c9d and the map will be correct. It is the same as for any of the other 3D ignition maps. Go back one number in any of your 3D timing tables and you will see the same thing. The same map is in my rom but it is zeroed by dafault, and also has an 11 as the first number. Not only that, but you are missing the last digit of your map :-)
I agree those are the correct maps for the 96940011 ROM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See... not as silly as I look :-) Almost all of the 3D maps begin on an odd (not even) address, which I always thought was unique.

MrFred, if you want to see the map in my rom it is at 562d. It may be interesting because it is there but appears to not be called so you may be able to filter out code that is important or not for your own rom more quickly. On most roms this map is addressed just before the Stationary Thermo Fan maps so it is easy to find.

I have a quick question a little off topic: Is there a way in IDA to label or rename RAM addresses?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
there are 2 types of 3d/2d maps.

word length and byte length.

byte length maps start on an odd address, word on an even.

However you are correct, the vast majority of 3d maps are byte length.

Just press "n" to name anything. I presume you have already created a RAM segment Matt?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
EvoM Guru

MrFred, if you want to see the map in my rom it is at 562d. It may be interesting because it is there but appears to not be called so you may be able to filter out code that is important or not for your own rom more quickly. On most roms this map is addressed just before the Stationary Thermo Fan maps so it is easy to find.
Yep, with auto disassembly, there are no references to that table in your ROM. I'll need to go through the ROM manually to verify that its not called.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Tephra, I am fairly certain I have the RAM segment setup when I first started, and I have been using 'N' to rename Unknowns but it wont let me do the RAM's. I might have to do some more playing around, I just thought there was another command I was missing. If I haven't is there a way to do it now?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:29 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah you can add a new segment - can't remember, edit segments or something???
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have a bit of an update for the idle stability timing control. I found what two of the 1D points do. For my rom, the 1D that Mr Fred referred to on the first page is at 174e (default = 128) is the sensitivity. Lower it and it responds slower, raise it and it is faster. The next address along at 1750 (default = 8) is the maximum possible timing adjustment. By default a max of 8 degrees can be added or subtracted by the control system. I tested these around an hour ago. Change 1750 to 1 and you only see 1 degree of timing shift, 2 gives 2 degrees, etc.... I also dropped the sensitivity to 32 and it almost stops. Tried a few between that and 255 and it started to respond much faster.

So, if for some reason you want to disable this feature you can quite easily just set either the sensitivity to zero or the max timing adjust.

Tephra, you may have found the bit control for this earlier in the thread. You mention one of the bits turns off low rpm timing?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

well my bit definatley controls non-idle activies... ie 1500-3500 rpm...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep, that fits with my disassembly. The general formula to calculate the timing adjustment is:

DeltaTiming = x/64*(0.48*TargetIdle - 0.256*CurrentEngineSpeed).

or

DeltaTiming = x/64*(0.256*SnapShotEngineSpeed - 0.256*CurrentEngineSpeed)

x = the first 1D value that you mentioned.

For my Evo 9, the max timing adjustment range is only +/- 3 deg.

Do you think there is any value to tweaking these parameters? If yes, then I'll put these in the next ECUFlash xml series.

EDIT: I have not yet seen any periphery bits or other things that allow disabling any of the timing trim adjustment routines.

Last edited by mrfred; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

In practice it is a powerful function for keeping idle stable without relying on the stepper motor to do all the work. Because the stepper moves in increments, much finer idle control can be done with the timing. I would say that the larger the cams are you are running, the more range you should give this control. The same goes for lower compression ratios, as it will need more timing to have an effect. I rarely see my car use more than 3 degrees even though it is set to 8, but it doesnt hurt to give it more range to do what it needs to do.

I would say to keep the function and list it in the next XML update. Alot of people would not know what to do with it, so I would rate it as an Advanced function left for the tuners. So for now those that want to disable it need to just set the adjustment limit to zero.

Tephra, I have seen the effect you are talking about while map searching. Something advances timing at very light throttle but I could not narrow down the conditions when it happens. It will do it at steady throttle and didn't seem to be accel related. This was tested with a flat timing map, no EGR timing, etc... and was very obvious.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Code:
<table name="Min Load for IAT-Compensated Ignition Trim" category="Timing" address="3ca8" type="2D" level="1" scaling="Load8">
  <table name="Engine Speed" address="6b7a" type="Y Axis" elements="10" scaling="RPM"/>
</table>

<table name="IAT-Compensated Ignition Trim" category="Timing" address="3c8e" type="2D" level="1" scaling="TimingTrim8">
  <table name="MAF Air Temp" address="714a" type="Y Axis" elements="8" scaling="Temp"/>
</table>
This is the ign timing trim vs IAT table that's been mentioned before by Mattjin. There is also a threshold load vs rpm table for when this IAT compensation is used.

This one is a God send. I have always noticed that when I log an Evo and the IATs are in the 100s (38 C), the car would not give me the timing in the table even though there is no knock. Now I know why.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I copied and pasted the code into the xml files, but i am getting xxx in the tables rather than numbers. How do I fix that?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:01 AM
EvoM Guru

hrmm I have never seen it advance timing over whats in the map.

always less than - and upto 8* less.

Look for my "timing not matching your map" thread - I had some details (graphs) in there.

We might be looking at different things
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nj1266
I copied and pasted the code into the xml files, but i am getting xxx in the tables rather than numbers. How do I fix that?
You might be missing the "TimingTrim8" scaling. Take a look at my "need help with new xml" thread. I have my latest xmls in there.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:25 AM
EvoM Guru

In practice it is a powerful function for keeping idle stable without relying on the stepper motor to do all the work. Because the stepper moves in increments, much finer idle control can be done with the timing. I would say that the larger the cams are you are running, the more range you should give this control. The same goes for lower compression ratios, as it will need more timing to have an effect. I rarely see my car use more than 3 degrees even though it is set to 8, but it doesnt hurt to give it more range to do what it needs to do.

I would say to keep the function and list it in the next XML update. Alot of people would not know what to do with it, so I would rate it as an Advanced function left for the tuners. So for now those that want to disable it need to just set the adjustment limit to zero.

ok, I'll add it. If you have time and want to mess around some more, try tweaking the value at 0x175C in your ROM. This should also be a sensitivity adjustment. I'm curious to see if it acts differently than the other sensisitivity value that you experimented with.

Quick Reply: ignition timing trims