Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty sweet.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost forgot to mention ... It's a fwd lolsz
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 907dsm
Glad to hear you got it started man... did you make your harness yourself?? How's the car running now??
I began building my own harness from the details provided by the people that paved the way for the rest of us. JoT is by far an innovator as well as OxDead. Which by the way his account has been disabled. Anyone know where he went? Did he just change his accout name? Page 11 was where I started. But I was convienced by the local shop here in Tampa, FL ( Darkside Performance ) to have them create the harness so that they can install the EVO ecu when I was having my engine built. My motor had only 5kmiles on it to begin with but the head gasket was pinched when the previous owner rebuilt the motor when stock components. This eventually lead to an head gasket failure one day on my way home from work. i decided to go with a fully forged rotating assembly, SD, Holset 40 with a 65 mm turbo and the works. Well a few weeks later I found myself in the unemployment line. So I had to go for a near stock setup and work on the electronics and learn the EVO ecu and tuning the DSM. So hence me starting this project.
So I started with sending the head to a maching shop to be rebuilt with some extra flow shaving on the intake and exhaust side. Darkside put the motor together only to find out the machine shop did not do a line bore on the cams so it had to be sent back out to have that corrected. With tons of research and help from members on this forum I got the car running. Now It jus needs tuned. My car is back at the shop we found that the wiring harness had 6 connections wrong and that was the reason why i had a lot of problems. Now they are fixing the RPM issue and I just happen ton have my radiator blow so I had to get a new on. They are going to give me a base tune to get me home and then I will start the teach myself to tune the DSM. For somereason my Automatic transmission has started to shift really clunky and give me some shifting issues, now before the head gasket blew I was driving it 40miles each way to workand it shifted and ran great. So I do not know if this has to do with the EVO ecu or if it was just a coiencence that this started to happen at the same timel I drained the old fuid and readded fresh ATF +4 chrystler auto fluid. I Changed about half, 6 qt's out of the 12'qts it holds. I wish all 12 had came out but i understand that only happens when you do a fush to clean out the stall converter. So hopefully my car will be fininshed in the next couple of days, I am now woried about the tranny. I need this o get running so I can get arund to find another engijneering position.

I will update you soon as I know.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by enash99
I began building my own harness from the details provided by the people that paved the way for the rest of us. JoT is by far an innovator as well as OxDead. Which by the way his account has been disabled. Anyone know where he went? Did he just change his accout name? Page 11 was where I started. But I was convienced by the local shop here in Tampa, FL ( Darkside Performance ) to have them create the harness so that they can install the EVO ecu when I was having my engine built. My motor had only 5kmiles on it to begin with but the head gasket was pinched when the previous owner rebuilt the motor when stock components. This eventually lead to an head gasket failure one day on my way home from work. i decided to go with a fully forged rotating assembly, SD, Holset 40 with a 65 mm turbo and the works. Well a few weeks later I found myself in the unemployment line. So I had to go for a near stock setup and work on the electronics and learn the EVO ecu and tuning the DSM. So hence me starting this project.
So I started with sending the head to a maching shop to be rebuilt with some extra flow shaving on the intake and exhaust side. Darkside put the motor together only to find out the machine shop did not do a line bore on the cams so it had to be sent back out to have that corrected. With tons of research and help from members on this forum I got the car running. Now It jus needs tuned. My car is back at the shop we found that the wiring harness had 6 connections wrong and that was the reason why i had a lot of problems. Now they are fixing the RPM issue and I just happen ton have my radiator blow so I had to get a new on. They are going to give me a base tune to get me home and then I will start the teach myself to tune the DSM. For somereason my Automatic transmission has started to shift really clunky and give me some shifting issues, now before the head gasket blew I was driving it 40miles each way to workand it shifted and ran great. So I do not know if this has to do with the EVO ecu or if it was just a coiencence that this started to happen at the same timel I drained the old fuid and readded fresh ATF +4 chrystler auto fluid. I Changed about half, 6 qt's out of the 12'qts it holds. I wish all 12 had came out but i understand that only happens when you do a fush to clean out the stall converter. So hopefully my car will be fininshed in the next couple of days, I am now woried about the tranny. I need this o get running so I can get arund to find another engijneering position.

I will update you soon as I know.
Not sure how well they work with Automatic transmissions. The ATX has its own computer that controls everything usually (Called a TCU) and it needs information from the ECU generally. Especially engine temps since it shifts differently as the engine warms up on most cars. It also needs to know when the engine load increases so it downshifts and all that jazz.

Looks like you have some research ahead of ya. Please let us know any info that you find! I am hoping to start tearing down the 1G Mirage this week and finally getting the ball rolling again. I miss having my own Evo8 ECU to toy with lol.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:18 PM

i have a 97 turboed mirage that i'm trying to convert over a evo8 ecu. i'm currently using a e manage ultimate tuned sd. the car never had a flashable ecu. the ecu pinouts are similar to the lancer and evo. my buddy lusion has a turbo 01 mirage his car had a flashable ecu so he seems to be doing fine.

i did the wire swap thing on pins 22 an 8 to match the evos and changed out cam sensor and sensor cylinder. plugged in the 8ecu turn on the key i can hear the iac come to life on the tb. not a peep out of the fuel pump. thought it might the immobilizer so i flashed on lusions rom it's has the immoblizer disabled. turned on the key still no fuel pump.
so i was reading through here and. on the 2 page jack of all trades mentions some thing bout where to get power from the evo ecu and some thing bout something needed to be grounded for power with pin 8. so bout the only thing i have hope for is finding on some way to get the fuel pump up and running. any ideas?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Not sure how well they work with Automatic transmissions. The ATX has its own computer that controls everything usually (Called a TCU) and it needs information from the ECU generally. Especially engine temps since it shifts differently as the engine warms up on most cars. It also needs to know when the engine load increases so it downshifts and all that jazz.

Looks like you have some research ahead of ya. Please let us know any info that you find! I am hoping to start tearing down the 1G Mirage this week and finally getting the ball rolling again. I miss having my own Evo8 ECU to toy with lol.
DSM tcus don't require a whole lot of information from the ecu and AFAIK the main communication function is to tell the ecu to pull timing during shifting. The tcu has its own inputs for most of the important sensors and also determines shift points and line pressure based on rpm and tps not load.

DSMs have used manual transmission computers for a long time and the main rom for the H8 ecus is from a manual, there hasn't been a problem. Also, knockgoon and I are both using the evo8 ecu in our auto 2gs without issue.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by the_mork
DSM tcus don't require a whole lot of information from the ecu and AFAIK the main communication function is to tell the ecu to pull timing during shifting. The tcu has its own inputs for most of the important sensors and also determines shift points and line pressure based on rpm and tps not load.

DSMs have used manual transmission computers for a long time and the main rom for the H8 ecus is from a manual, there hasn't been a problem. Also, knockgoon and I are both using the evo8 ecu in our auto 2gs without issue.
2G's with auto's use different sensors to define their shift points, which the EVO ecu is able to provide the inputs to the tcu since both the 2G and EVO 8 ecu's have more in common than an H8 and 1G do. The TCU can be programed tho, I am currently trying to find a harness out of an old auto 1g, then lay it out on the garage floor and trace each wire from the TCU connection out and identify each sensor, and each wire that intercepts ECU data. Then I can begin to make edits. When I drove it around it seemed to shift a lot harder. imaging adding a big shift kit to a buick regal with a V8. it seemed to hit 2nd gear kind of hard and then after about 10 mins, it kind of stayed in one gear for about 15 secs instead of shifting and then it shifted hard. SO I have the wiring info in a book and I have some research to do. I will update. I have to get my car back from my local shop, their were several problems in the harness they made. I am going to finish my harness so that if I have any more buggy issues pop up I can swap into a second harness and see if it still has the same problems.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:29 PM

hummm i seem to really be stuck. i've did all the immoblizer disable stuff. i've have tephrav7 loaded. i was just checking it perphery0 bit bit 3 is already 0.
ecu periphery hex i changed to 56D2 and immoblizer hex to 0040. my ecu plug doesn't have a wire running to the ecu for the immobilizer alarm so i'm not sure what good this does. i've run evoscan actuator test on fuel pump ans pressure selenoid. says theres no response from the ecu. i can read the rom and flash the rom back. but i'm not sure the ecu is powered up the way things are going.

Last edited by miksatx; Sep 18, 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add text
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by miksatx
hummm i seem to really be stuck. i've did all the immoblizer disable stuff. i've have tephrav7 loaded. i was just checking it perphery0 bit bit 3 is already 0.
ecu periphery hex i changed to 56D2 and immoblizer hex to 0040. my ecu plug doesn't have a wire running to the ecu for the immobilizer alarm so i'm not sure what good this does. i've run evoscan actuator test on fuel pump ans pressure selenoid. says theres no response from the ecu. i can read the rom and flash the rom back. but i'm not sure the ecu is powered up the way things are going.
If your able to read the rom and flash to the ecu then your getting the correct power to the ecu. its finiky and if your even a little short of the 12v power you wouldnt be able to flash. have you gone through the harness pin outs completely? I had a few wires in the wrong spot and the shop that made it had to resoder 5 or 6 pins. Also make sure your firing order has been reversed. change the spark plug connections at the coil pack. 1 to 2 3 to 4 etc... that should get you to start the car. That was my issue. GL let us know
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by enash99
If your able to read the rom and flash to the ecu then your getting the correct power to the ecu. its finiky and if your even a little short of the 12v power you wouldnt be able to flash. have you gone through the harness pin outs completely? I had a few wires in the wrong spot and the shop that made it had to resoder 5 or 6 pins. Also make sure your firing order has been reversed. change the spark plug connections at the coil pack. 1 to 2 3 to 4 etc... that should get you to start the car. That was my issue. GL let us know
i undid every thing everything last night and took it and beat on it this morning. it runs like a scalded dog with the stock ecu an ultimate.
so all my pins are good to the ecu plugs. the ultimate is hard wired so unhooking it isn't option at this time. i just messages lusion bout the firing order when he changed over. he said he didn't. if i can just get the fuel pump to come on without jumpering it with the evoecu in. i can hook it up back to the old ecu and head to the shop. then i can redo the ait wiring and hope i can wire in my plx wideband stuff and get it up sd. i sent the tephra rom 96530706 to my tuner to look over. said it really look nice and they did a ton of work on this setup so he was inpressed. i just have a feeling it's something little thats stopping me from using the evo ecu.

Last edited by miksatx; Sep 20, 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: changing some text
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:39 PM

tried to get it working again today. not much luck. i did notice that when i read from the ecu that the values in ecu periphery0 hex i try to enter changed back to the old valves and same goes for ecu periphery0 FAA bit i change bit3 to 0 and that don't hold. i'm at abit of a loss as why it keep changing. i'm using evoflash 142.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:11 PM

tried to get it working again today. not much luck. i did notice that when i read from the ecu that the values in ecu periphery0 hex i try to enter changed back to the old valves and same goes for ecu periphery0 FAA bit i change bit3 to 0 and that don't hold. i'm at abit of a loss as why it keep changing. i'm using evoflash 142.
Try changing your firing order. The evo's are reversed from the 1G. if the immobilizer is set to " 0" instead of a 1 then its disabled period. These are things I learned along the way. I was beating a dead horse trying to get it to start untill I reversed the firing order. then it started right up. Now my shop used the pin out guides from the AEM site. Once you install the AEM software it downloads all the ECU pin outs for pretty much every supported car. My tuner did a cross comparsion between the two and built my harness. Where he went wrong was there was a blank on a pin in the 50's and he didnt skip the pin. so all the pins after the fact were wrong. Once he fixed those issues and I could start the car it was a different story. So GL keep us posted. Need to bring more 1G's into the new age of ECU's
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:18 PM

ecu periphery hex i changed to 56D2 and immoblizer hex to 0040.
Just wanted to clear up what i wrote. The hex value doesnt matter once you set the immobilzer to 0
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:39 AM

ok this morning i did alittle more reading on this ecu. just would like to confirm that the stock rom image is 9417008. the ecu part # is 1860A118. when i pulled the rom image the first time the ecu id was 96940011. i suspect that's why i'm having trouble.

Quick Reply: Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works!