Notices
ECU Flash

SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think i want to convert to sd after a big turbo uprade...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by logic
mrfred, I just saw this yesterday: tiny Baro sensor, and a breakout board for those of us who can't solder something smaller than our thumb. The downside is that it's a serial device, so you'd need to add a micro to turn that into a 0-5V output, but every other barometric sensor I found at digikey was digital too. And did I mention it's tiny?
Matt may have already found the perfect baro sensor. It has the same output voltage range vs pressure as the stock sensor (no need to write a baro scaling routine!). Haven't heard from him on price, but he knows lower price is better.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:07 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
This is awesome!

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Awesome. I drive from sea level to 7,000+ feet weekly during the winter months, and is one of the main reasons I haven't converted my personal Evo to SD yet.

- Bryan
I hate you.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
interesting...i need to keep my eye on this...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice stuff. I'm on a quest, a quest to not alter any of the wiring on my personal evo. This isn't a DSM, evo's are actually worth keeping nice. Plug and play is great, keeps people from making mistakes or shotty wiring, and going back to stock is a breeze. Good stuff.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very, very nice.

Keep in mind though, the present implementations don't hack the stock wiring either. It just takes longer, requires pin connectors, replacing wires in the stock ECU harness plugs, and the mat patch.

This plug n play harness will definitely help the masses switch to SD easily and quickly for those not wanting to wire in the IAT sensor manually, not to mention providing connectors to wire in a spare baro sensor for 2.0.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Matt may have already found the perfect baro sensor. It has the same output voltage range vs pressure as the stock sensor (no need to write a baro scaling routine!). Haven't heard from him on price, but he knows lower price is better.
You know what is funny, I have searched for baro in my ROM other day, and guess what I have found there is none, mitsu somehow managed to get the value from MAP. I have logged it and it changes over time. So if I will figure it out there may be no need for additional ADC/sensor. Just my .02.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Why not just use the OEM MDP sensor?

It's a 1 bar absolute sensor, there are thousands of them just kicking around and most wouldn't need to buy a second sensor this way. Make a little bracket that protects it and mounts it by the MAF if being a clean install is the main concern.

EXCELLENT work on the harness though.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:14 PM
Silver Sponsor

Thanks for all the input guys.
I searched and searched for the factory male connector. It didn't exist so I decided to "make" my own. I am for sure going to make a run of them but there are a TON of steps involved to get it all right so we will see how many and how much it will be. As Fred said, still developing it all.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Why not just use the OEM MDP sensor?

It's a 1 bar absolute sensor, there are thousands of them just kicking around and most wouldn't need to buy a second sensor this way. Make a little bracket that protects it and mounts it by the MAF if being a clean install is the main concern.

EXCELLENT work on the harness though.
Really good idea. The baro I found is very close to the factor scale, within under .03 bar throughout the scale looks about right. The sensor I found would work without a rescale and cost about $30.

Most of us have the stocker kicking around. Plus they are common on most DSM era cars too, so yeah there are about a billion of them. This may be the best solution.

What do you all think?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Evo life keeps getting better and better.

it is amazing to think of in only 8 years we wend from AFC IIs to full SD.

Thanks to those of you who work so hard to develop this stiff. My hat is off to you.

This very well could be my turning point to finally go SD.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
Evo life keeps getting better and better.

it is amazing to think of in only 8 years we wend from AFC IIs to full SD.

Thanks to those of you who work so hard to develop this stiff. My hat is off to you.

This very well could be my turning point to finally go SD.
+1..excellent work guys!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with 03whitegsr; using the stock MDP seems like the most reasonable option to me. If you're moving to SD, you've probably already yanked it and installed something else (JDM, Omni, etc) anyway.

I could have sworn I used to see little MDP-form-factor CNC'd gadgets around for folks who switched to an aftermarket intake manifold for DSMs...be damned if I can find one right now, though.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by logic
I'm with 03whitegsr; using the stock MDP seems like the most reasonable option to me. If you're moving to SD, you've probably already yanked it and installed something else (JDM, Omni, etc) anyway.

I could have sworn I used to see little MDP-form-factor CNC'd gadgets around for folks who switched to an aftermarket intake manifold for DSMs...be damned if I can find one right now, though.
Oooo I have one from AMS that is CNC'ed, but I think they are are about ~$45 :-/
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Man, I don't know where I saw it, but I'm almost positive I've come across the MAF plug before. Maybe it was the harness side though?

Another option though, instead of building a custom plug, what about just picking up a plug set that works with the MAF pins? Depin the MAF plug, and plug them back in to the new plug set. I know it's not "plug and play" per-say, but it's pretty damn easy.

Or an "all in one" block? If you had to get the plugs made in the first place, getting something like this injection molded likely won't cost any more and it solves the MDP sensor mount issue. The wite piece is a small air filter. In the bottom of the cavity is a 1/16" hole to reference atmospheric pressure.

The wires would come out the back side of the block. The "Baro" would only be about 6" long so it could wrap back to the sensor.

Attached Thumbnails SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development-adapter.png  
Old Feb 10, 2010, 01:11 PM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Man, I don't know where I saw it, but I'm almost positive I've come across the MAF plug before. Maybe it was the harness side though?

Another option though, instead of building a custom plug, what about just picking up a plug set that works with the MAF pins? Depin the MAF plug, and plug them back in to the new plug set. I know it's not "plug and play" per-say, but it's pretty damn easy.

Or an "all in one" block? If you had to get the plugs made in the first place, getting something like this injection molded likely won't cost any more and it solves the MDP sensor mount issue. The wite piece is a small air filter. In the bottom of the cavity is a 1/16" hole to reference atmospheric pressure.

The wires would come out the back side of the block. The "Baro" would only be about 6" long so it could wrap back to the sensor.
Mitsubishi Connector does not make the Male plug...looked EVERYWHERE. A whole boatload of Mitsu uses the Female plug though.

As far as De-pinning the connector, that is the second option I am working on.

Great idea on the drawing and it would be very functional, but I am using an off the shelf connector that is modified. Custom plastic injection isn't cheap!

Last edited by SpoolinUp; Feb 10, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: SpoolinUp SD plug-n-play harness development