Notices
ECU Flash

OMNI 3-bar MAP sensor scalings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmcpn
I'm still confused about #2... The 0.161 value, what does it mean and why does it only apply to the 3bar sensor and not the 4bar? Is there a 0.161 PSI offset in the sensor or something that the 4bar doesn't have?

I bought this sensor to use with the Grimspeed boost controller, FWIW, but I don't want to even try MAP-based boost control until the Omni 3bar is calibrated properly.
I get what you're saying now. TBH I don't remember where I got my evoscan formula, may have simply been trial and error on my part. I would've been comparing to the reading from my ZT-2 which I know to be good. Not sure where the .161 is from now that you mention it though, I may try a different one in the next couple of days to see if it's really needed. It could also simply be that my atmospheric pressure is .161 higher than what I think it is. In the end I think you could just as easily simply start with a 3-bar formula of 0.17886 * x - 14.7, and adjust that 14.7 so that you get a 0 reading with the engine off.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, now I don't trust this sensor for boost control I just emailed the seller and asked if I could exchange it for a 4-bar unit since that seems to be more widely used/supported. I actually ordered a 4-bar, but they were out of stock and I thought it would be OK if they substituted a 3-bar.

Edit: Although... the 3bar has better resolution. I'm sure whatever discrepancies I find can be tuned out pretty easily. Even if the thing is not perfectly linear, it looks to be damn close based on your comparison with the Zeitronix.

Last edited by jsmcpn; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jsmcpn
Hmm, now I don't trust this sensor for boost control I just emailed the seller and asked if I could exchange it for a 4-bar unit since that seems to be more widely used/supported. I actually ordered a 4-bar, but they were out of stock and I thought it would be OK if they substituted a 3-bar.

Edit: Although... the 3bar has better resolution. I'm sure whatever discrepancies I find can be tuned out pretty easily. Even if the thing is not perfectly linear, it looks to be damn close based on your comparison with the Zeitronix.
I see no reason not to trust the sensor. My point of reference for knowing whether my settings were good for it was to compare it to my ZT's reading at various boost levels. I'm confident in it's accuracy.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:07 PM

Looks like a moot point anyway. I can't get my stock IX to cold-start or warmup-idle properly on Tephra v7. Without access to the advanced fuel and ISCV tables (the XML CODE boxes on the forum are empty and the "official" XML pack is missing the definitions) then I can't even run Tephra let alone MAP-based boost.

I'm about ready to flash a stock ROM, sell/return the sensor and the grimmspeed EBC and just leave the car 100% stock. An amazing amount of work went into reverse-engineering the Evo ECU and Tephra is really impressive... but it seems that Tephra development has been all but abandoned. I am late the the Evo tuning game and there is no way I can ever absorb hundreds of old 20-page threads' worth of information. I wasn't "there" to read it all as it happened, as new developments were made, etc... Plus these days all the broken links, missing images, incomplete XML files and whatnot just make it that much harder to learn

Last edited by jsmcpn; Aug 5, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Here's my v7 8859 xml which should have all advanced fuel, iscv, etc tables defined in it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsusfv6jww...15-v7.xml?dl=0
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:05 AM

Sweet! Thanks much, that helps a lot - I merged in your file to mine, looks like mine had some oddities that got cleared up in addition to getting the new tables

Got any good Evoscan XMLs for Tephra 8859 to go along with it?

I've got another ROM cooked and will try it tomorrow, hopefully will get good idle and OMNI readings!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Here's my evoscan xml if it can help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acmtkbr2go...20EFI.xml?dl=0
Old Aug 12, 2015, 02:12 PM

Thanks again. My Evoscan XML was pretty much the same as yours but it was good to know for sure!

In other news, I'm sending the 3-bar unit directly back to Steve @ OMNI in exchange for a 4-bar. He was nice, offered to do it no questions asked. I asked the Flea-bay seller if they would swap it out and they just gave me the run-around for a week.
Old May 21, 2021, 07:25 PM

im wondering if anyone can help me understand why i dont have this map scaling table? using tephra mod v7. i have the 4 tables for making these chagnes :
MAP Test 1: Mid VE Max Voltage Test -- Change from 4.61 volts to 4.90 volts.

MAP Test 1: Mid VE Min Voltage Test -- Change from 0.10 volts to 0.06 volts.

MAP Test 3: Low VE Max Voltage Test -- Change to 4.20 volts.

MAP Test 4: High VE Min Voltage Test -- Change from 1.80 volts to 0.51 volts.

but i dont have the scaling table as im trying to install a omni 3 bar, am i missing something ? thansk in advance as this one post has helped me lots so far
Old May 22, 2021, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bcharles
im wondering if anyone can help me understand why i dont have this map scaling table? using tephra mod v7. i have the 4 tables for making these chagnes :
MAP Test 1: Mid VE Max Voltage Test -- Change from 4.61 volts to 4.90 volts.

MAP Test 1: Mid VE Min Voltage Test -- Change from 0.10 volts to 0.06 volts.

MAP Test 3: Low VE Max Voltage Test -- Change to 4.20 volts.

MAP Test 4: High VE Min Voltage Test -- Change from 1.80 volts to 0.51 volts.

but i dont have the scaling table as im trying to install a omni 3 bar, am i missing something ? thansk in advance as this one post has helped me lots so far
Man, re-reading this this thread after all these years felt like entering a time machine

Your rom definition xml might not have that table defined. If you're using 88590715, this is the definition for the table:

Code:
<tablename="MAP Scaling"category="MAPSensor"address="670c"type="2D"level="1"scaling="uint8">
<tablename="MAP Output"address="800e"type="Y Axis"elements="9"scaling="Volts16"/>
</table>
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Man, re-reading this this thread after all these years felt like entering a time machine

Your rom definition xml might not have that table defined. If you're using 88590715, this is the definition for the table:

Code:
<tablename="MAP Scaling"category="MAPSensor"address="670c"type="2D"level="1"scaling="uint8">
<tablename="MAP Output"address="800e"type="Y Axis"elements="9"scaling="Volts16"/>
</table>
Raptord how hard would it be to translate these tables to another known rom? I'm quite keen to get it working with the Airtrek rom 89970010 .. the factory map sensor runs to around 100 load so I'm thinking it's same as the usdm sensor.

Any tips?
Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OzAirtrek
Raptord how hard would it be to translate these tables to another known rom? I'm quite keen to get it working with the Airtrek rom 89970010 .. the factory map sensor runs to around 100 load so I'm thinking it's same as the usdm sensor.

Any tips?
Thanks
That's outside my realm of knowledge unfortunately, I can't help you with that sadly.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
That's outside my realm of knowledge unfortunately, I can't help you with that sadly.
No problem thanks for replying 🙂

It seems the sensor is really only used for the EGR activation (which I have disabled) so I'm thinking to try out the JDM sensor and rescale ..