Notices
ECU Flash

No ignition reading!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No ignition reading!

As I'm logging an evo 7 ECU, I don't get any ignition timing reading in evoscan while other parameters seem to read fine!
Ignition reads 5 all the time regardless of rpm & load, it doesn't change. The idle timing in the ignition table is 5, I changed it to -10 to see how it would affect idling & there was no effect, the cars idled perfectly fine, ignition reading always stuck at 5!
It seems that the car is unresponsive to ignition timing changes.
I'd appreciate your suggestions what to check for, wiring, ecu...etc

Last edited by foxbat; Oct 25, 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a wire from the ignition switch to the ECU that sends 12v to the ecu when the starter cranks. You can find it on the pinout diagrams, labeled start. When the ECU gets that signal it defaults ignition to 5 degrees, overriding the timing map. Check that wire to see if it has power on it at all times for some reason, it normally should only get the signal during starting. Maybe there is a problem with your ignition switch.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think the pin you're referring to is pin # 82, description :ignition sw supply, so if this pin has 12v all the time it would cause such problem? Does this pin go directly to the starter?
I found another issue with the harness, wiring for ignition coil1 & coil2 is swapped!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
I think the pin you're referring to is pin # 82, description :ignition sw supply, so if this pin has 12v all the time it would cause such problem? Does this pin go directly to the starter?
I found another issue with the harness, wiring for ignition coil1 & coil2 is swapped!
The wire comes from the ignition switch. it will cause the problem. Is this car something converted to an Evo setup?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
pin 71 black/yellow gets 12v from starter solenoid when starter when is engaged only
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckleford
The wire comes from the ignition switch. it will cause the problem. Is this car something converted to an Evo setup?
Yes, it's an E3/E7 conversion

Originally Posted by todd6027
pin 71 black/yellow gets 12v from starter solenoid when starter when is engaged only
Then it's very unlikely that pin 71 is getting constant 12v, the starter can't be on all the time.... correct?
How about the swapped ignition coil wiring, would that cause any ignition issues?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Then it's very unlikely that pin 71 is getting constant 12v, the starter can't be on all the time.... correct?
How about the swapped ignition coil wiring, would that cause any ignition issues?
reset base timing , you need a timing light , make sure eng is at operating temp and idle 850 rpm , then turn ign off , find the timing reset connector in loom on the bulkhead , ground the wire using jumper cable .
start the engine , turn off all accessories are off then check the timing with the light ,easier to see if you mark the notch in the pulley with chalk mark on the pulley it should be 5deg btdc if its not loosen the cam sensor and turn the cas till the mark on pulley lines up with 5 deg mark on cover . then stop the eng ,remove the jumper wire then restart and check timing again it should now read 8 deg btdc . see if that helps
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Pin 71 is the correct pin, colour varies though depending on the Evo. The wire comes from the ignition switch and goes to the ECU and splits to the starter solenoid. Quite possibly pin 71 at the ECU in the subject car has just been connected to a 12V source and no longer comes from the start contact at the ignition switch. That's why I figured it was a conversion setup and not something wired from the factory. I have seen this exact problem of timing being static at 5 degrees on a car before due to the above.

I don't see that the swapped coil wiring would cause an issue.

Last edited by wreckleford; Oct 26, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
reset base timing , you need a timing light , make sure eng is at operating temp and idle 850 rpm , then turn ign off , find the timing reset connector in loom on the bulkhead , ground the wire using jumper cable .
start the engine , turn off all accessories are off then check the timing with the light ,easier to see if you mark the notch in the pulley with chalk mark on the pulley it should be 5deg btdc if its not loosen the cam sensor and turn the cas till the mark on pulley lines up with 5 deg mark on cover . then stop the eng ,remove the jumper wire then restart and check timing again it should now read 8 deg btdc . see if that helps
The timing check connector wouldn't work anymore for a 7/8 ECU swap.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

ah yeah forgot that , be no harm to check the timing though
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
The timing check connector wouldn't work anymore for a 7/8 ECU swap.
think you can do the same thing (instead of grounding that pin) via evoscan, in actuators section
and then do the CAS adjustment

maby I'm wrong and it parks only the ISCV but worth to try

Last edited by stunt2; Oct 31, 2014 at 12:37 AM.