Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Chatter/whine in 1st and 2nd gear... what is it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatter/whine in 1st and 2nd gear... what is it?

So I'm getting some random chatter/whine in 1st and 2nd gear.. it's not reproducible under any set of particular circumstances, and it seems to kind of come and go without any real reason. It probably started happening in the last month or two.

Basically, in first gear around 2900-3100rpms, I'll hear some very soft (it's not loud, you have to listen for it to really hear it) chattering/whining type sound, coming from somewhere. That's the only RPM range it ever happens.

And sometimes, when I'm in 2nd gear, the chatter will occur anywhere between 2000-3000rpms. I've never noticed it under hard driving, but rather, when I'm cruising around town. It almost sounds like something is "loose" somewhere, but I have no idea what. It's difficult to diagnose because I can't reproduce the sound very consistently, which makes it uber hard for the tech to really know what I'm talking about.

I'm hoping it has something to do with my now dead/slipping/rattling clutch and TO bearing, but I'm afraid it might be my 1st/2nd gear synchros... any ideas?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zstryder
So I'm getting some random chatter/whine in 1st and 2nd gear.. it's not reproducible under any set of particular circumstances, and it seems to kind of come and go without any real reason. It probably started happening in the last month or two.

Basically, in first gear around 2900-3100rpms, I'll hear some very soft (it's not loud, you have to listen for it to really hear it) chattering/whining type sound, coming from somewhere. That's the only RPM range it ever happens.

And sometimes, when I'm in 2nd gear, the chatter will occur anywhere between 2000-3000rpms. I've never noticed it under hard driving, but rather, when I'm cruising around town. It almost sounds like something is "loose" somewhere, but I have no idea what. It's difficult to diagnose because I can't reproduce the sound very consistently, which makes it uber hard for the tech to really know what I'm talking about.

I'm hoping it has something to do with my now dead/slipping/rattling clutch and TO bearing, but I'm afraid it might be my 1st/2nd gear synchros... any ideas?
Does it get louder the faster u go? Bc if it does it may be the Tc. Are you getting any grinding shifting gears? Where is the sound coming from?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I have grinded 1-2 on occasion, but it's not a daily/weekly thing at all. The sound is never really "loud", and as soon as I go above 3000rpms the sound kinda goes away. It's not a "howling" whine, but really more of a chattering/grinding kinda whine. It's not very high pitched either - honestly it sounds like something is trying to engage, but can't.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
I have grinded 1-2 on occasion, but it's not a daily/weekly thing at all. The sound is never really "loud", and as soon as I go above 3000rpms the sound kinda goes away. It's not a "howling" whine, but really more of a chattering/grinding kinda whine. It's not very high pitched either - honestly it sounds like something is trying to engage, but can't.
hmmm, Evos make a whinning sound in first to second gear usually. Is it another sound other than that one?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

No, this is definitely new.

I've driven 35,000 miles on the car, and this only started happening in the last 1000-2000 miles or so.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Are you all stock? Could it be the exhaust rubbing? My roommate had an exhaust on his prelude, and he had to change his hangars after a while. Are you still on the stock clutch? Could it be a fluid thing/check the tranny fluid? Just a few thoughts...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:22 PM

does the sound go away when you push in the clutch cuz mine does that and i know for sure its the throw out bearing damn ACT SUCKS
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:26 PM

Angry

I have the same sound coming from somewhere in the bottom of the car almost sound like the interior of my Catco is loose but, it goes away after awhile. I especially hear it when i don't drive the car for more than a day. Its not the clutch because the sound is there even if i press the clutch in or even if its in gear. 1st and 2nd. I hope its not my tc. I only have 16k miles.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Both of you should take the car to the dealer to see what the problem is
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oak2207
Are you all stock? Could it be the exhaust rubbing? My roommate had an exhaust on his prelude, and he had to change his hangars after a while. Are you still on the stock clutch? Could it be a fluid thing/check the tranny fluid? Just a few thoughts...
It's not the exhaust, or else I would have heard it years ago. This *is* drivetrain noise, no doubt about it.

Originally Posted by lxk29
does the sound go away when you push in the clutch cuz mine does that and i know for sure its the throw out bearing damn ACT SUCKS

Yes, my TO bearing rattles at idle, but that's not the issue here.

I have contacted Jon over at TRE, he says if it's whining, then the gears are either worn or loose. If it's chattering, it's must likely something to do with the clutch. As I'm getting my clutch replaced soon (it's currently slipping/dying), I will see if that resolves the problem. If not, looks like I'm in for a rebuilt tranny...