Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drivetrain noise, need help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain noise, need help diagnosing

Background:

The car is a 06 evo IX MR with 7600 miles, first noticed the noise around 7200 miles.

First noticed the noise after getting snow tires put on at town fair tire. I know for a fact there was no joy riding from the employees as the odometer still has the same mileage coming out as going in and I watched it roll into the shop & out.

The noise:

The sound of the noise sounds like a metal on metal bushing that is not perfectly tight. It mostly sounds like a high pitched squeal resembling a slipping belt on a pully or something metal on a brake rotor, but it also will change to sounding like when you over-speed a small electric motor and the bushings are vibrating/squealing, or if anyone has tried to wistle using a blade of grass, it sounds like that but high pitched (sorry for the crap description of the 2nd noise).

When it happens:

It doesn't happen as soon as I start driving, it needs to warm up a little... .5 - 2 miles. Once it happens, it's most noticable while coasting in neutral which cuts out the tranny and engine noise. It still makes the noise if you shut the enging off while coasting, and the pitch of the noise doesn't change if you apply the brakes, or the e-brake. the pitch also doesn't change pitch with different gears or clutch in vs. clutch out. when the noise is happening if you coast to a stop the noise happens right up until you stop rolling. It is a constant noise that doesn't chirp every revolution of somehting.

What i've done:

I have crawled under the car and inspected everything i could jiggle, turn and poke and nothing is blaringly obvious that something is rubbing or wearing. With one side of the car off the ground, I spun the tires as fast as i could by hand and didn't hear anything except for mild rear brake noise, which i doubt is the problem, but i'm not ruling out brakes yet. I have also taken an air gun to the brake pads & calipers to try and blow out any foreign crap that might be making the noise but it still happens.

I've had two other car guys & one certified master mechanic (non mitsubishi) ride in the car and neither have had any 'oh its the...' moments. We're all kind of stumped and i don't think it's anything obviously simple (and by saying this i'm hoping to be proven wrong).

all help is much appreciated.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This what i could find that is as close to what describe,hope it helps.

Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I read your post. It is a excellent post in the way that you described, very well in detail and the few things that you already mentioned it narrowed down which actually saved me the time to answer a lot.

I am very focused on the actual nuts that holds the tire to the hub. At a first look the tires might seen fully installed because of the weight of the car makes the tire stay steady while the car is parked or not in motion however you might easily have not just one but a few nuts/studs loose and they are making noise as you drive.

From experience, when you have the studs/nuts loose the noise sometime can be consistent or random and it will make noise with the engine on or off while in gear or in neutral.

There is a chance someone left the nuts loose. Please, take the extra 30 minutes and lift each corner of the car and undo all the nuts or at least re check them.

That same problem had happen to me on a 1990 Plymouth laser RS and a Italian Vespa motorcycle, in both cases I had the same noise and couldn't figure out what it whas until the tire came almost loose.

Also on Evo9grl's car she got a small size rock stuck bettwen the rear rotor and the rotor shield and it was making the noise that you get when the rotors are worn out (metal to metal).

I know it might not be your solution but it is a starting point. Let us know.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 25, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for both of those posts, both very helpful. I'm going to clear out a bay in the shop to start checking. I have hope that it may be in the rear brakes, i pulled the e-brake a little more than previously tested when it wasn't making the noise, and i got a squeal from the brakes that sounded nothing like the other noise, but it sounded like it was coming from the exact same place as the previous noise. So i'm hoping it's something rubbing the rotor or a loose lug nut and not a worn bearing, but i'll keep you updated on what I find.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so update, the lug nuts were not loose. I pulled the rear calipers & rotors off and looked at the e-brake assembly and nothing really showed signs of rubbing. The passenger side did have some fine gravel inside which i thought was a little strange as the driver side did not. Thinking about it the edge of the road does sometimes have some loose gravel so that could explain it. I also checked for wheel bearing play and everything was tight. I cleaned everything out and put it all back together. On the ride back to the house which is only a mile or so I don't believe i heard the noise. I don't have a difinitive answer as to whether or not it is gone as i think i may have heard it but over a longer drive i'll know for sure because it tends to get louder the longer i drive.

I think the next step if it's not gone is to drive until it makes the noise then have someone walk next to the car to track down where exactly it is coming from.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

I have this EXACT same noise. It sounds like it is coming from the front wheel on the passenger side but I am not sure. It is still there after I switched back to my summer wheels and tires too. Everything you have said is right on. One thing I have not done is change the driveline fluids but that is happening soon.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?