Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1st gear grinding.....normal???

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gear grinding.....normal???

How many of you shift to 1st gear before coming to a complete stop on your EVO? What speeds are you traveling? Do you feel some kind of grinding doing this? I have noticed a grinding feeling when I shift my car to 1st gear traveling at around 5mph before coming to a complete stop. Do you guys think or know if this is normal or not? I was told that I shouldn't feel any type of grinding when shifting to first gear even if I'm traveling as fast as 15-20mph and shifting to first as our EVO's have double or triple synchro's. I do know that I never experience this on my 02' WRX. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the car has 1100 mi and is babied when drivin'.
Old May 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

its dangerous to downshift all the way to first gear man.
dont ever downshift to first gear man, first gear only works from 0 to 10 (maybe 15) km/hour speed. at the most u can downshift all the way down to 2nd. but never to first, always use the first when ur upshifting from a complete stop, after 15km/h there is no need to go to 1st.

the 1st gear grinding is the sound of the gears effing up bad man, if u keep it up u might have to replace ur clutch...
Old May 29, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

deuxforever13 -

I don't think you understand my question correctly. For example, I'm about to pull onto a stop light, my car is almost completely deadstop then I shift to first. The car shouldn't grind. What do you do when your about to come to a stop? Do you put your car in neutral and then shift to first when the car is completely stopped?
Old May 29, 2003, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't reccommend trying to downshift to 1st if you're pulling more than 5 miles per hour. You'll notice some feedback in the handle when the gears aren't lining up. This is why it's feel like 1st gear "drops in" when shifting in motion.

You won't get anywhere very quickly, but these cars are geared to allow low speed 2nd gear starts, so you can avoid having to put the car in 1st to get back to speed if a light changes to green before you stop, or a similar circumstance occurs.

Keep it outta first unless you stop, just to be safe.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

I also misunderstood what you were asking.

My buddy's Evo and my OZ will both grind 1st while moving above 5 MPH. Putting the car in neutral or double-clutching will reduce the feedback, but you still run the risk of a grind.

This is very true when the motor is cold and the revs are higher, before low idle kicks in.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Sailorgoon -

Sounds like you understand my question now. The only reason why I was asking is because I never experienced this in my 97' GSX and my 02' WRX. I do not down shift to first gear and have the car moving still. And when I shift to first below 5mph, I have my foot on the brakes gradually slowing the car to a complete stop and my right foot has the clutch pressed all the way down and let of after the car is comletely stopped and the gear is in first. Hope that makes more sense.

BTW, this is going to make me sound more NEWBIE'r in this forum than I already am but how do you apply double-clutching or what is the defination?
Old May 30, 2003, 02:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange... I down shift to 1st several times a day at well over everyone's 5mph (triple synchros folks). I've never ground 1st... Now I've ground 3rd/4th a couple of times due to not pushing the clutch all the way in.
Old May 30, 2003, 02:52 AM
In Timeout

there is no need to ever downshift to first.. if u need to downshift to slow down downshift to 2nd.. but i kno what your talking about ... i have downshifted to first a few times going under 5mph and the shifter doesnt feel like it wants to go into gear... i think its bcuz your drivetrain is moving and it just isnt mean to go into first from N or 2nd when your drivetrain is moving... either way there is no need to ever have to downshift to first... even at 3-4 mph u can downshift to 2nd and it will b fine
Old May 30, 2003, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

sorry bud, i guess i did misunderstand ur question, but for

"Do you put your car in neutral and then shift to first when the car is completely stopped? "

that is what i would do, i never shift down to 1st.

i always put my gear to neutral when i'm coming to a red light or a stop. or bring it down to 2nd if i feel **** about it, but i like to put it to neutral, this way no worries.

but u'll notice when at certain speed, u will not be able to put it into 1st, it'll like lock and not let u go to first, unless u really force it in (which will go into 1st if u really force hard enough to snap ur clutch, u'll hear grinding), its designed that way so u dont accidentally put into 1st.

i guess its safe to say that nobody here ever puts down to first unless they're rolling on a 5km/h speed or soemthing...
Old May 30, 2003, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

It could be the syncros working
Old May 30, 2003, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have a fair amount of exp with awd cars, and I downshift to 1st about 50% of the time while coming to a stop and have never had a grind.
Old May 30, 2003, 10:42 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by leonard_shelby
I have a fair amount of exp with awd cars, and I downshift to 1st about 50% of the time while coming to a stop and have never had a grind.
Downshift to first smooth as silk like my M3. Anything below 28mph is fine. If your's is grinding take it in to the dealer to check for metal shavings. I guess 1 out of 100 evo is having tranny issues?
Old May 30, 2003, 11:17 PM

Try blipping the gas peddel as you are comming up to the stop light, to see if the additional 500-1000 RPM rise will allow the gear to let you in without any grinding. Make sure to leave the clutch pressed all the way down so you don't engage it and launch the car thru the LIGHT!!

I personally leave my car in gear all the way till i am about to stall the car at the light and then just drop to neutral. If the light happens to change prior to me making a complete stop I will just drop it into 2nd gear and slowly cruize away. If i feel like getting into first and pulling away... I will need to blip the gas peddel to get an additional RPM match to the 1st gear speed.

With my right foot, I have 1/2 of the left side pressing the brake as i come up to the stop and then tilt the other 1/2 of the right side to tap the gas if i want to drop the gearbox to a lower gear like 1st. Takes some practice... but i heard it is much kinder to your syncros on downshifts.
Old May 31, 2003, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

My friends black evo has the same problem!! Everytime I drive his I grind 1st gear because I have a certain driving style. I stick the car in 1st gear aroung 5 - 7mph and it doenst grind on my evo. However, my friends grinds at even 2MPH. He always sticks it in neutral then go to 1st gear at a complete stop. I've instructed him to take it to the dealer. I would do the same with yours.